This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit ******* pushing me

My landlady wants me to sign a contract on payment of the amount due. The contract, conveniently, does not mention that the deposit I paid when I moved in will be subtracted from the amount due. I don't want to sign it as it is written now.

Furthermore, it seems they want me to pay rent for every day I am here during the month of March. So they want me to leave, but they want me to rack up debt while I'm here, making it harder for me to leave.

I'm so tired of all this stress and all this loss. One loved one after another; my regular job; getting fired from what should have been an easy, if irritating job; and on it goes. I need a huge does of massive good luck, and instead, I get this.

I don't know the background but the deposit you pay when you move into a rental property is held to pay for any damages when you move out. If no damages are found they should return the entire deposit.

I hope things go better for you.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

They're keeping the deposit, due to my inability to pay the rent. This is fine. I don't mind it at all. It's being pushed to both move out, pay the rest of what I owe, AND pay daily rent that makes me wonder why I was ever born.

Comment

God, I wish I'd been able to move back home last year. This is much more than I can stand.
        Last edited by Eireann; 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Yes they can't keep the deposit AND ask you to pay rent for that month, it's one or the other. You pay rent or they keep the deposit for rent and you would only owe if your rent is more than that.

Im sorry you are going through a tough time.
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

It's awful.

Last year, I was ready to move. Then kitty's health deteriorated. Now, she's no longer with me. I spent a lot of money on vet bills. Money had to go to pay the rent and food for me and my cats (now cat). Working at the thrift store doesn't pay enough, and they're upset at me because it didn't take in enough money the last day I worked. Who knows how much longer I'll even be working there?

I kept telling myself that things were better all the time. There were times when I believed it. Now? No. I was thinking that I'd make a lot of money, I'd get on firm financial ground, and then I'd see where I was meant to live. Now, I don't know where I'm supposed to be.

Comment

I am so sorry.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I don't know what the laws are like in the country where you live, but I know, when we rented, we had to sign a lease and give first and last month's rent. As far as I know, we didn't give any kind of damage deposit, but I know some places do.

Our last month rent went into an account, and every year, we got a cheque for the interest that had accumulated.
                When we were ready to leave, we had to give 60 day's notice. We paid the rent on the first 30 days, and our original last month's rent was used to pay the final 30 days.

Now, if you have been in arrears for rent pretty much since you moved in, (and it does sound like that) it probably throws a wrench into things and kind of voids any agreements made when you moved in.

Most landlords are very patient if the situation gets explained to them, but I've found they do have a tolerance level, and that's when things get nasty.
                They have bills to pay too. (Taxes, upkeep, utilities, possibly a mortgage, etc.)

I understand about the loss of loved ones. The thing is that there can be a tendency to just sit and shake one's fist at the universe and blame everything on the death of a loved one. (I know I quite often retreat into self-defeating thoughts - "This is all his fault because he died." "If he was here, I wouldn't be in this mess." The sad fact is that he is gone, and I have to deal with my own financial issues and decisions.)

Depression and grief can really mess with a person.

Still, the reality is that the world does not stand still for us when we're grieving and feeling lost.

Are there no other part time jobs to supplement the meager wages from the thrift shop? No other better paying jobs available?

I do understand your frustration.

I hope you are able to work past all of this and find some stability.

BTW..what ever became of that raffle that's linked in your signature?
                Last edited by Ree; 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

The raffle didn't work. What I really should have done, was to move into a cheaper place when I lost my regular job, but I didn't. I could barely keep eating and feeding my cats, let alone work and move.

There is one thing that occurred to me today. Since I moved into this place, seven deaths have occurred. I lost my regular job. The money crunch came. I went into complete freakout.

Maybe it's the environment. The house, the land, the street, I don't know what. Maybe there's some kind of excessively negative energy here. Before I moved to this place, I was living in a much smaller apartment in a building that had a sort of nice view and a great wraparound balcony where I had plants growing - and though I didn't like the area, I made more money than I've ever made before, and I had more money in the bank than ever before. I went home for a month, the summer just before I moved into this place. I bought clothes and books and DVDs. I ate out. I sent purchases to myself in a big box. I had a great time, and I didn't worry about money.

Then the move came. My rent was lower, but my income plummeted. The year after I moved in, three deaths occurred. The following year, one death. The year after that, one death. Last year, two deaths. I acted out a great deal at the place where I was working, so of course, they cut me loose. I thought I had a great new job lined up; I did a lot of work and they backed out of the verbal agreement. Nothing in writing = no pay for the hours of work. I thought I had something lined up in the States. That fell through. I got another job the following year; it was shit work for low pay. I quit because I thought I had a great new job. I didn't. I got the warehouse job. They fired me.

This is just too much for coincidence to bear. I'm convinced that there are some strongly negative forces at work here, beyond my own attitudes and thought processes.

Can any of you perform some kind of long-distance cleansing ritual for me, my thoughts, my aura, my living space, the street, the whole city area, whatever needs it? I'll take any and all cleansing rituals anyone wants to perform.

Ree, I paid my rent on time when I moved in, and for almost three years after that. It was after Mom left that I began to panic about money. I've been helping to support my landlady's family these past several years; she told me the other day that now she has to find a job, which she didn't want to do. She's been staying at home with the kids, but now she needs a job. I think she realizes that it won't be easy for them to rent my place - a lot of foreigners have moved back home, and property owners here prefer to rent to foreigners, because it's easier to kick them out (most foreigners don't know the laws concerning rentals).

So. Cleansing? Huge, mighty, immense cleansing? Go for it!

Comment

I have no idea what the place looks like, or any makeup of the situation, but I just sent some good vibes your way. I hope it helps you out some! I also hope your situation gets a better; I can't imagine how I would handle myself if that happened to me.
                    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

I don't remember how big you said your place was, and maybe this won't work, but would getting a roommate help?
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

It was suggested by another friend too, but the way things are now, it's a bit late in the game. I just want out, and I know they want me out.

I've been looking for places outside the city. I found a whole HOUSE for rent that costs only about one-third of this place, but looking at the photos showed me why. Depressing as all hell, and in bad repair.

I just need to sell a crapload of stuff to get the cash together to move.

Comment

Either I sign an acknowledgment of debt, or I leave. She's also talking about taking legal action against me to get even more of the money that I don't have.

There must be a curse on my life. Everything, EVERYTHING, has fallen apart. I'm tired of being broke; I'm tired of being threatened; I'm tired of being so far from all my loved ones; I'm tired of all this pain. I have taken much more than I'm able to take.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                            Everything, EVERYTHING, has fallen apart. I'm tired of being broke; I'm tired of being threatened; I'm tired of being so far from all my loved ones; I'm tired of all this pain. I have taken much more than I'm able to take.

I don't know what to say, except we would miss you and as long as you live things may, probably will, change for the better.
                            First thing is to find a place to live that you can pay. Don't worry about being sued. Your landlady can't get any money from you when you don't make enough for basic expenses and when you begin earning more you can probably pay without hurting.

Comment

What exactly would an acknowledgment of debt entail?

Comment

Working...
                              X