This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Decide....

Ok, so with our money being so tight right now, big purchases have to be carefully considered. Extra carefully. So I'd like some extra input on your thoughts for this.

We're down to needing a new couch, or a laptop.

I sold my older laptop just last month, because it was no longer suitable for my needs. Frankly, I need a fairly nice laptop to keep up with Photoshop CS5, and its looking like I'll be spending ~$800 to get a decent one. ($1k would be egads better, but its WAY out of our price range). I use my laptop to work on the road, which we tend to be on a lot, considering the only decent town to get groceries in is about 45 minutes away, and we do visit family a lot. No laptop, no working on the road. Its a bit of a problem sometimes, but eh.

Other thing is the couch. Our current overused couch is halfway to being dead right now. One of the side's support is sagging really bad, and we had to superglue shut one of the arms because it ripped, and you could stick your arm accidentally in, and cut yourself on the nails/board/whatever the heck is in there. And of course, a new couch is something like $600-700, base cost. Probably more in the $1k range as well, though.

So here's my dilemma. Hubby wants me to buy a new laptop first, stating that with it, I'll be able to work and earn the money for a new couch quicker. I'm siding more with couch, because I just about get the twitches every time I sit down on the wrong side and hear the cracking and groaning of the supports going "WAAAGH".

Anyone else's thoughts? I'm just...blagh.

Edit: Aw crud, think I put this in the wrong area. If it should be in Life Advice, mods please don't hurt me. <cringe>
    Laptop
    93.02%
    Couch
    6.98%
    Last edited by Seraph; 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Hubby's right. I know you would prefer the new couch, and I understand it.

Even still, this time, have to side with hubby. Your laptop is a major component of your business, and therefore your livelihood. Without that, you're going to have a nice new couch, but run the risk of not being able to put it anywhere.

Comment

I vote for laptop too. You can always get a used couch to hold you over if you have to.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
        Hubby's right. I know you would prefer the new couch, and I understand it.

Even still, this time, have to side with hubby. Your laptop is a major component of your business, and therefore your livelihood. Without that, you're going to have a nice new couch, but run the risk of not being able to put it anywhere.
        Ouuuch. Brutally honest, but that's what I'm wanting, I guess.

Comment

In this case I'm going for the laptop, for the same reason that your hubby states. In your line of work, you need one that will do what you want it to, when you want it. The laptop is going to buy you a couch a lot faster than the couch is going to buy you a laptop.

I know it goes against the grain because you want the best for your home, and normally in that situation I'd be going for the couch, but my line of work doesn't make a laptop vital, as yours does.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Sorry Seraph. Your out numbered so far. Hubbs, Peds and Telecom Goddess are right.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Pshah, just gonna have to make sure hubby doesn't see this poll, or I'll never live it down. ><

Comment

You can get a couch from a furniture store and make installment payments, though, right?
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  You can get a couch from a furniture store and make installment payments, though, right?
                  None in our area, we live in a very small town.

Annoying thing is, we have a friend who runs one of those, and he offered us an awesome deal on a couch if we wanted. Problem is, its two hours away, so we'd have to rent a truck to get it. Would pretty much cancel out the discount he offered, just for the rental.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    None in our area, we live in a very small town.

Annoying thing is, we have a friend who runs one of those, and he offered us an awesome deal on a couch if we wanted. Problem is, its two hours away, so we'd have to rent a truck to get it. Would pretty much cancel out the discount he offered, just for the rental.
                    Have a friend witha truck? offer gas money and baked goods as compensation?
                    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      Have a friend witha truck? offer gas money and baked goods as compensation?
                      Might have to try that. I wonder if said friend with the store might even be up for it.

Comment

If there's a decent used furniture place anywhere in the area, you might be able to find a couch in good shape for way less than that, enough less that the drive is worth it.

Laptop first, though.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If you are not looking for that "perfect match to your decor," keep an eye out for close out sales. If the color does not work, throw a slip cover over it.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I think your husband is correct, personally. The laptop helps you make money, which will enable you to get a new couch.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                              If you are not looking for that "perfect match to your decor," keep an eye out for close out sales. If the color does not work, throw a slip cover over it.
                              haha, we don't care too much. Current couch is dark brown, in a blue and white room. The only problem with all the couches on Craigslist lately is that they either look skeezy as get out, or are like eye-blinding patterns. We're not too picky, but heavens to Betsy they've been uuuuugly.

Comment

Working...
                              X