This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for leftover egg yolks?

I am making angel food cake tomorrow, which calls for 12 egg whites. As such, I will have 12 egg yolks leftover. I may freeze some of them, but I am also looking for ideas for what I can do with egg yolks (either now or later, after I've frozen them.)

Go!

I'd either do three things depending on my level of laziness:

1. google recipes that call for only yolks and bake the first thing that pops out at me
    2. add some liquid egg whites to the yolks and make: omelet, scrambled or lazy egg salad
    3. make / heat up some soup and add the scrambled yolks
    (it can be used to thicken, but I like scrambled chunks in my soup)

If I were to freeze them, I have no doubts that I'd forget they were even in there, lol.

That probably didn't help much at all XD I usually only have a few yolks left over so I haven't had to deal with 12 of them at once.

Comment

Lemon curd!
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Churros! I'm trying this recipe this evening or tomorrow - http://givemeflour.com/?p=2128
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
          Churros! I'm trying this recipe this evening or tomorrow - http://givemeflour.com/?p=2128

That looks really awesome

Comment

Boil them till they turn firm, remove them from the water and put them in a bowl. Add mayo, dijon mustard, dill, pepper, salt, dash of curry powder and a little shredded cheese. Mix into a nice creamy spread and serve on crackers or spread on bread. Yummy!

Comment

I've heard there's a chocolate chip cookie recipe that calls for 1 egg and 1 yolk, to give a chewier texture. I'd google it. Also, isn't there a sauce that calls for them? Is it hollandaise? Also, a yolk works just as well for an egg wash as a whole egg; just add water to it. Sometimes I think angel food cake mix would be better, just to eliminate this problem.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Brunch.

Scramble them up with a few regular eggs so there''s some white.

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Egg nog! I know the holidays are past, but I've got an eggnog recipe that is wonderful year round. Jester sure likes it.

Comment

Pretty much any sort of custard (vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, cinnamon, etc). Add an extra yolk or two to any sort of cookie recipe to give a softer, chewier texture to the cookies. Lemon curd, or lime curd (I like to do a key lime curd that is just awesome) is a terrific idea.

A good way to avoid this sort of problem in the future is to buy egg whites in a carton when you're going to make an angel food cake. Yes, the cartons say the product isn't recommended for angel food cakes, but they do whip up just fine, even after freezing. I bought several cartons on sale one time, and stuck them in my freezer for just exactly that purpose. The pint sized cartons work best, you'll use about half of that (or a bit more. I usually add an extra quarter cup of egg whites when using those for an angel food cake) for the cake and can use the rest in any other egg recipes you make.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I've heard there's a chocolate chip cookie recipe that calls for 1 egg and 1 yolk, to give a chewier texture.
                      I actually came across such a recipe that I'm planning to make. However, it's for Bailey's Irish Cream cookies, and I think the omission of 1 egg white is so you can add some Bailey's and not have the dough come out too wet.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

zabaglione! That'll use up your yolks!

I made my first attempt at Tiramisu this week (chocolate tiramisu, with toffee bits and salted caramel sauce. It...was so good...)
                        My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
                          zabaglione! That'll use up your yolks!

I made my first attempt at Tiramisu this week (chocolate tiramisu, with toffee bits and salted caramel sauce. It...was so good...)
                          OOoooh that does sound good. Might have to try that one soon, it's been a while since I made tiramisu.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

These are all great ideas. Thanks everyone. For the moment, I went ahead and froze all 12 yolks. For reference to anyone who is interested, I did a little research and apparently freezing the yolks just plain is not a very good idea. They are too gelatinous and will never full liquify after being frozen and then thawed out. To get around this, you can either add a little salt or a little sugar to the yolks. I ended up scrambling all my yolks together and adding about 1/2tsp salt to them; I figured if I am making a sweet dish, I will need salt anyway, but if I am making a savory dish, added sugar might throw the taste off. Then I used my scale to portion out the yolks into an ice cube tray, .5oz into each cube (I actually had about 6.5oz of egg yolk, so a little more than .5oz into each cube.) Now they're in the freezer and once they're frozen, I will pop them out of the tray and throw them in a ziploc bag.

I wanted to try freezing them, first to see how they would turn out in some of these dishes once frozen, and also because I don't think I'm going to have time to make anything with them until at least next week, and I didn't want to risk letting raw, cracked egg yolks sit in my fridge that long. But, once I do make something with the frozen yolks, I will let you guys know how it turns out!

Comment

Wow, talk about not planning ahead...

My husband asked me to make some pies for him to bring to work for pi day next week (he works with a bunch of computer scientists and mathematicians) and between two of them, I'm going to need 8 egg yolks. >.>

I guess we'll get to see how well frozen egg yolks work in a few days!

Comment

Working...
                              X