• Show
Clear All

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
    Marge: W! A! T!
    BT: B! E! E!
    M! O! U! S! E!

Sorry, couldn't resist

It seems that customers these days are just selectively aliterate >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
      The only decal we have on the front door at the moment is one saying we participate in the state's anti-ORC (organized retail crime, not those things from Tolkien) initiative.
      Organized Retail Crime - would that be "steal to order" shoplifting gangs? As for the Tolkien creatures, they'd probably be more polite than some of your customers.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Organized Retail Crime - would that be "steal to order" shoplifting gangs?
        Pretty much, yes. During orientation we were shown security footage of four guys working together to surreptitiously clear several thousand dollars worth of razors off of a shelf while the shoppers around them were unawares. (The LP crew did catch them at the door, happily.)

Comment

Smapti -- I'm glad you work in a store where LP is actually allowed to do their job >_> I have seen a number of stories here where employees would get in trouble for even *trying* to shadow someone who was a known shoplifter....Back when I worked in BoutiqueGrocery, we were told to just alert management, and stay out of the way. About the biggest result we got was whens some shady dude in a trenchcoat almost got busted trying to steal wine one day -- The ASM chased after him on foot the second he reached the door. We all pretty much figured that said ASM was lucky he did NOT catch the guy.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

A number of years ago my boss decided that we were no longer going to accept credit cards. People to this day insist we took them the week before. I work 6 days a week, they have an off chance of not getting me but the other cashier knows better.

Signs signs no one reads the damn signs. We have an ATM now for those people who want to use it but even then they bitch. No one has to take credit cards, it's a privilege for us to even accept them. People seem to have it in their head that just because they have a card, everyone has to take it.

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post

Signs signs no one reads the damn signs. We have an ATM now for those people who want to use it but even then they bitch. No one has to take credit cards, it's a privilege for us to even accept them. People seem to have it in their head that just because they have a card, everyone has to take it.
              There is only one form of tender businesses are required to accept... and that is cashy money... and even then, they are only required to accept it to settle a debt, there is no rule that says that they must agree to enter a contract with you if all you have is cash (that is why a lot of hotels will allow you to pay with cash when you check out, because at that time if your card hasn't been used to prepay it, they owe you a debt and you must accept cash, but won't allow you to check in with just cash).
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I can still remember when no grocery stores took credit cards. I didn't start seeing them taking plastic until the early 90s or so. And it wasn't all that long ago that fast food places finally started taking them.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

MM -- It still surprises me that fast food joints take them at all, at least for purchases under ten bucks or so...The merchant fees would kill them (often 25-35 cents plus a % per transaction, or more). Their profit margins must be razor-thin-- except for drinks. Even the "$1 large Coke" makes a huge amount of profit; the cup costs more than what's in it.

Comment

What about debit cards? I have a card, but it's debit. Do they get charged fees for those too?

Comment

Yes. If you see a credit card company logo on there, a fee is charged somewhere along the line. They can vary wildly, but it's often a 15~50 cent fee per transaction (which is why many stores refuse to accept them for transactions under a certain amount) plus a percentage of the grand total, another 1.5~4%, iirc. Generally, if one fee is low (or, in some cases, nonexistent), the other will be at the higher end to make up for it. Naturally, if a charge is disputed, those fees are not refunded.

iirc -- For Credit: Having the code from the back of the card often reduces the rate, but this is uncommon for non-online purchases. A ZIP/postal code may do so, as well.

Comment

Hell, it's part of Customer Standard Time. "I just did it last week!"

We stopped billing for ads in 2002. I still get people insisting they placed an ad last week/lastmonth/last year and didn't have to prepay.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Your orc customers are going to be so pissed off. They might even protest!
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                            Reminds me of a Simpson's epsiode where Marge is trying to order water in a pub in Australia...

Marge: Water please.
                            BT: One beer coming up.
                            Marge: No! Water!
                            BT: Beer!
                            Marge: W! A! T!
                            BT: B! E! E!

ALC: No Credit Cards!
                            SC: VISA!
                            ALC: N! O! C!
                            SC: V! I! S!
                            It's actually coffee, not water. She goes "c-o" and the barman goes "b-e"

And despite what that episode says, you can actually get coffee in a number of pubs in Australia
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              And despite what that episode says, you can actually get coffee in a number of pubs in Australia
                              Or Vegemite water...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
                                SCs never ever read signs unless it contains the words Free, Sale, Discount, or % off
                                Even this isn't true. When Subway was having their Buy One Get One Free sale on sandwiches, I'd watch customer after customer order a 6 inch sub, pay, and walk out without saying a word. I asked the employees about it, and they simply said, "No one reads signs."

Comment

Working...
                                X