This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rash of People

I'm the only one on register and I'm on the middle one. Meaning it's about five steps from either door. It's not a long way away. I'm ringing out a line that is pretty steady but not overwhelming when I hear a rude "EXCUSE ME" and cue the catbuttface old woman: "I WANT TO PAY FOR GAAAAS"

She's not at my register. She's not even AT a register. She's standing by the DOOR holding up money.

My response: "I have a line." It WAS going to be "I have a line, GET IN IT" but I just let her figure that one out on her own.

Me: My I see your I.D.
    SC: PSSSSHHHHHHHH
    Me: *looks at it* You're younger than me and you're gonna make a stink about getting carded? Get real.
    SC: I coulda tol' you that I was 25 and yous woulda believed me.
    Me: First off, no I wouldn't. And second off, you have to LOOK like you're older than 27.

SC: The air isn't giving me any air.

When this happens I usually go out and they bitch and moan and whine and complain until I'm just like, fuck it, and I go get the portable compressor out of my car. When I plug it into their tire and turn it on inevitably the conversation goes exactly like this:

Me: This tire is up to 40 and should be at 32. Are you sure the air pump wasn't giving you air?
    SC: Just put a little more in it.
    Me: I won't do that sir, driving with too much air in your tires is bad for them.
    SC: Well can you do the rest of them?
    Me: I think the air pump can help you with those, sir.

SC: Are you doing a man's job again?
    Me: I'm about as manly as you get around here.

I work with all women....

I was washing windows with a power washer that has a gun-like sprayer appendage.

SC: HEY. If I pull my car up...
    Me: Don't even finish that sentence. *brandishes sprayer*

I seem to be getting a rash of people who like to use the phrase: "You know me. I don't complain." No. Let me tell you about you. I know you. You complain about the dumbest shit imaginable and then pretend like it's the most insane thing that's ever happened to you. Omg, you didn't get your points taken off of your gas when the loyalty network was down and they TOLD YOU THAT? Omg your coupon for cigarettes is out of date because those packs sat on the racks for so long and you're the only one who buys them? Omg, you get "cut" in front of in the line because you think there are separate lines for lottery customers and regular customers? Wow. What a shame. Go fuck yourself.

Weird guy: Hey...Gaki...be careful when you go do the trash tonight.
    Me: Won't be doing trash tonight.
    WG: ...*wanders out*

SC: Eating on the job huh?
    Me: Gotta eat.
    SC: Why don't you eat during a break?
    Me: Don't get breaks.
    SC: ......oh.

To clarify: Minors get breaks. We don't. It's perfectly legal and honestly in the gas station business it makes sense. We can have five minute breaks every two hours but usually those are taken by smokers as what would a non-smoker do with their five minute break? I just take one to eat and everyone accosts me. I'm not ringing people out, I'm just sitting down eating.

I had the awfullest mental image from the title.. a literal rash, made up of tiny heads with REALLY BIG MOUTHS, all yelling stupid stuff and making demands. No ears, because why bother, it's not like they're gonna listen!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

When i worked at thecstorefomhell, i would hide in the back to eat. It was the only way to avoid the stupid comments about my food intake

Comment

Had an insane woman actually chastise me for eating on the job at the C-store. Acted like it was the most horrible thing that she'd ever witnessed. I swear, she probably yammered on about it for like ten minutes. But then, this woman is a series of CS stories all her own. I'd post a few of them, but frankly, she's so outrageous I doubt you'd believe me.

No, REALLY.

Comment

Challlllenge!!!!!!!

Comment

Re the tyre guy, I remember being told by a cop one time about the over and under inflation of your tyres.
            Not only is the SC going to wear out his tyres faster, he also runs the risk of sliding around in bad weather because his tyres aren't going to be able to grip the road.
            I tend to under inflate mine slightly...while the books say 34, I tend to go 32 just to be on the safe side.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Re the tyre guy, I remember being told by a cop one time about the over and under inflation of your tyres.
              Not only is the SC going to wear out his tyres faster, he also runs the risk of sliding around in bad weather because his tyres aren't going to be able to grip the road.
              I tend to under inflate mine slightly...while the books say 34, I tend to go 32 just to be on the safe side.
              TL;DR at the end.

There is a LOT of misinformation about tires out there. Especially when it comes their inflation point. Officer.com at one point had an Article up title "Driving Under Pressure". Sadly, the original article is no longer there. A partial capture of it can be found at CleanMPG.com (Full disclosure: I am a member there). It's followed by a lengthy discussion of both the pro and con of inflation.

I don't intend this to be fratching material, just to point out that some of the wisdom we learned from our elders is possibly wrong.

As to the idea that higher pressure will lead to lost traction and higher wear, I've personally found that to trend towards "not valid". Tires have a maximum inflation point listed on the tire. All cars have a max inflation point for tires as well. The manufacturer point is the best tradeoff for ride comfort, average load weight, and average tire and component wear for all areas of operation.

From personal experience scattered over a handful of vehicles and two decades, lower tire inflation results in faster and uneven wear at the edges. Tires that were rated at 60k miles were wearing out consistently for me around 45k miles. My current set of tires was put on in 2009 and 2010. The older set is at 82k miles and is worn evenly across. The second set is about 25k miles younger, also evenly worn across. They've not spent a moment at the "recommended" pressure, but instead at the max sidewall pressure.

Sadly, as a consumer, there are no private or government studies to fall back on. There's just a single SEA from decades ago, but that's it. There's no "standard" that holds true across all makes and model of tire for wear or longevity. Yes, they have things printed on the side of the tire, but it's a standard held by each manufacturer that doesn't translate across brands. There's only anecdotal evidence to go by, and so one must come to their on conclusion on what's best for their situation.

Pros of higher pressure:
              • Lower rolling resistance
              • Reduced fuel consumption
              • Less prone to hydroplaning
              • More traction in some situations
              • Less prone to impacts that can pop the tire bead (curbing)
              • Better and more even wear across the tire
              • Better lateral traction

Cons:
              • Increased road noise
              • Increased ride harshness
              • Possibly increased component wear (shocks/struts/tie rods).
              • Less warning when the tire will overcome lateral traction (squealing)

So, TL;DR. Before believing everything you were told about tire pressure, do some research and experimentation of your own.
              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
              And it's not what I wanted to be
              The weight on me
              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                I'm the only one on register and I'm on the middle one. Meaning it's about five steps from either door. It's not a long way away. I'm ringing out a line that is pretty steady but not overwhelming when I hear a rude "EXCUSE ME" and cue the catbuttface old woman: "I WANT TO PAY FOR GAAAAS"

She's not at my register. She's not even AT a register. She's standing by the DOOR holding up money.

My response: "I have a line." It WAS going to be "I have a line, GET IN IT" but I just let her figure that one out on her own.

Me: *looks at it* You're younger than me and you're gonna make a stink about getting carded? Get real.
                SC: I coulda tol' you that I was 25 and yous woulda believed me.
                Me: First off, no I wouldn't. And second off, you have to LOOK like you're older than 27.

I was washing windows with a power washer that has a gun-like sprayer appendage.

These are my biggest pet peeves. The ID one, "but you look younger than me!" *whinebitchwhine* Yeah? I don't care, I'm not putting my ass on the line for you.

The washing windows one drives my maintenance man crazy. It's for washing windows, assholes, not a free carwash!

Thirdly, people waving their money at me from a door. That's not going to get me to move faster for you. Fuck off, get in line, and pay me like all these nice folks.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                  But then, this woman is a series of CS stories all her own. I'd post a few of them, but frankly, she's so outrageous I doubt you'd believe me.
                  Try us! Post the stories, please!
                  No, REALLY.
                  No, really, post the stories!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    I seem to be getting a rash of people who like to use the phrase: "You know me. I don't complain."
                    My mother-in-law was cloned multiple times? Dude, I am so very sorry!
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
                      The washing windows one drives my maintenance man crazy. It's for washing windows, assholes, not a free carwash!
                      That guy was just ASKING for trouble. If there's any problem with paint adhesion (or if the car is starting to rust), the pressure washer will strip it right off the car. Also, if it's aimed wrong, it'll get water where it doesn't belong (past weatherstripping, etc.). Weatherstripping is designed to keep water out under NORMAL conditions (coming from above, with a 60 MPH headwind from being driven at highway speeds) - it can't block a 2000 PSI spray.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                        "You know me. I don't complain."
                        "No. I know you BECAUSE you complain."

And I hear you on the eating thing. They're just NEVER happy; if you took a real break to eat out of sight, they'd complain that there wasn't enough help on. The flip side - "Hey! That looks good, can I have a bite?" In one of my very rare gakimoments (didn't have quite as much leeway as you) I once opened my mouth and said "Sure. You want this one?"

Comment

sms - For maximum effect, say that to them, while facing them, with a mouth full of food ^_^
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh my goodness you mean humans have to EAT? Bet the ones who complain get a half or hour lunch break and they get to go to an actual break room or a restaurant and sit down and eat. I remember working in a pizza joint all by myself I had to sit down and in between phone calls and customers and making food just to suck down some food. How dare you eat in front of the customers (insert sarcasm here).
                            ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                              Years ago at a restaurant I worked at in AZ, had a table of people ordering drinks. As they all appeared to be in their 20s, I asked for IDs. Everyone produced their valid IDs, except this one girl.

HER: [snotty tone] "I don't have my ID."
                              ME: [politely] "I'm sorry ma'am, but if you don't have your ID, I can't serve you any alcohol."
                              HER: [snottier tone] "Well I'M 23!"
                              ME: [no longer polite] "Well then YOU should have your ID!"

Sorry, but while I can understand someone in their 40s or even their 30s getting annoyed by being carded, if you're in your 20s, or worse, just barely past 21, shut the fuck up and have your ID, or don't bitch about not getting served. Dumbass.

Quoth Gaki View Post
                              I seem to be getting a rash of people who like to use the phrase: "You know me. I don't complain." No. Let me tell you about you. I know you. You complain about the dumbest shit imaginable and then pretend like it's the most insane thing that's ever happened to you.
                              99% of the time it's true; people using this line are complainers.

But occasionally they are correct. I've used at line myself, but only at places where they really do know me, where they've known me long enough to know that I don't really bitch about shit, and only when there is a legitimate problem, i.e., food is raw and it's not a sushi place.

Quoth Gaki View Post
                              We can have five minute breaks every two hours but usually those are taken by smokers as what would a non-smoker do with their five minute break?
                              Read the paper, chill out, decompress, have a soda, take a walk, whatever. I have a story about my smoking manager giving me, a non-smoker, grief about taking a break years ago, but I've told it enough times in here where y'all are probably all too familiar with it, so I'll spare you the rerun.

But then, this woman is a series of CS stories all her own. I'd post a few of them, but frankly, she's so outrageous I doubt you'd believe me.

No, REALLY.
                              Challenge accepted! Bring it on. With all I've seen as a bartender, DJ, waiter, and magician, I doubt you could shock me.

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              A tip for those of you who live in hot climates: it is a good idea to slightly under inflate your tires, as the heat will make the air in your tires expand a bit. This also applies to anyone who might be driving somewhere that is far hotter than their normal climate, i.e., Phoenix in July.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X