This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring OEM Windows license?

New desktop in the works (actually waiting patiently at the side of my desk). All I need is Windoze. The license I have is for an OEM/system builder version. I was hoping to transfer it to the new system, but apparently that's only possible if the motherboard and/or CPU is reused (the only part of the old one that made the transition is the optical drive and maybe a case fan or two; I don't trust the old hard drive for critical storage anymore).

Is there any way to transfer a system builder license to a new rig (I read that it could be done through officially uninstalling it from the old one), or am I out of luck? I really don't have the cash for the retail box, although I could just get another OEM disc...but I already paid for the damn thing once.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I don't know about current versions of Windows, but it used to be that you could take the OEM license key from a dead box and use it to install the OEM version of Windows on a new box.

I'd suggest contacting Microsoft. Worst case, they'll charge a few bucks (but less than a new copy of Windoze)

Comment

It usually won't work. Everytime I've tried it fails to activate. I think it's also technically breaking the EULA
      Out of retail!

Comment

OEM/System Builder copies of Windows, technically, are tied with the motherboard of the computer it's installed on.

Non-technically, Microsoft is lenient when it comes with OEM copies, in my experience. I have an OEM copy of Win7 I received during my college days ~ 4 years ago, and I've gone through 3 computers in that time. I've also done this with my OEM copy of WinXP.

This is how it goes: you install the copy on your new computer, and when you try to activate it, it's rare that it will activate. Sometimes, if you're lucky, it will.

It'll usually fail, though. In that case, you use phone activation. After putting in the code generated when phone activation is selected, it will ask how many computers that copy is currently on; you say 1 (which is technically true; you're transferring the copy from one to another), and they'll give you the verification code to activate.

I can't promise you'll have the same experience, but it's worth a shot. Remember, this is for the OEM/System Builder version only, not a restore disk or Windows disk from a manufacturer.

Comment

In my experience, if it was installed a long time ago (say, a year), it activated just fine without any problems. Otherwise, you had to do the "phone activation" thing. It's gotten easier over the years. Last time I had to do it, it was all automated. Before that, you had to actually speak to a live person.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            Last time I had to do it, it was all automated. Before that, you had to actually speak to a live person.
            Last time I had to talk to some one live from Microsoft about activation, it was Office 2007. I had installed it on my desktop, and wanted it on my laptop also, which they support.

For some reason, on activation, it didn't activate. Went through automated phone support; as soon as I entered the last set of digits, it said "Please wait..", then rang to a live operator who asked me how many computers it was on. I explained the situation, he noted it and re-routed me to the automated support which gave me the activation code.

Now, the only Microsoft people who talk to me are sales reps.

Comment

Working...
            X