Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Socks!

I'd probably be willing to do a Patreon-style donation too, if it helps things.

Quote:
Quoth XCashier View Post
I comment on Retail too, but under the name Luna. Used to use my real first name, then someone else with the same name who joined later called me a "name thief".
Isn't that always the way? Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 AM
Fadavaceas

Quote:
Quoth Rapscallion View Post
...whether with a trim of the posts for the sake of the DB...
Question: Is it possible to download a static copy of the entire forum? Or the database that contains all the posts? I'm fairly sure I don't have time to manually copy all of my posts and my favorite stories before the six-week deadline hits, but I have a passing familiarity with SQL, so if given access, I could probably extract what I would like to keep...

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
- IPF

Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Just some guy

Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in discussion with someone who is interested in taking the place on as it is (no trimming) and capable of doing so. As long as this comes off, and I'm not interested in making promises here, things wouldn't change once the transfer takes place.

I have had several expressions of interest, and given the time scale so far that's quite pleasing, but this is currently my preferred option.

Holding your breath is not advised, but things are looking optimistic.

Rapscallion

Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Front End Supervisor

Crossing fingers and toes and whatever else I can.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Cashier

Sorry to hear that; I've been mostly lurking here, but this site has provided me with years of entertainment.

Thanks, Raps, for your work here over the years.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Insert clever title here

Quote:
Quoth Kogarashi View Post
Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.
Two writers may have similar ideas, but that does not mean that one ripped off the other. There are so many books and so little time, it would be impossible to read everything ever published and make sure you're not copying someone else. It's certainly not possible to travel in time and copy something that will be published long after your book is!

Back on topic, would hosting small advertising banners be helpful, or would that be more trouble than it's worth? Just an idea.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Kogarashi View Post
Isn't that always the way? Reminds me of when I was looking at reviews for a young adult novel I have and like, and at least one review accused the book of "ripping off Harry Potter." The book in question? Published in the early 1980's.
[OT] Do you recall the title of that book? Was it per chance the Crestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones? [/OT]

Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Rapscallion View Post
Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in discussion with someone who is interested in taking the place on as it is (no trimming) and capable of doing so. As long as this comes off, and I'm not interested in making promises here, things wouldn't change once the transfer takes place.

I have had several expressions of interest, and given the time scale so far that's quite pleasing, but this is currently my preferred option.

Holding your breath is not advised, but things are looking optimistic.

Rapscallion
Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM
No-Account Countess

Thanks for the update, Raps. Got a whole box of candles lit . . .

Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth XCashier View Post
Two writers may have similar ideas, but that does not mean that one ripped off the other. There are so many books and so little time, it would be impossible to read everything ever published and make sure you're not copying someone else.
Indeed, it's a commonplace "proverb" within SF/F that "there are no new ideas, what matters is what you do with them". Of course, that's not literally true... once in a great while, a truly new idea comes along, but it's really not common. Surprisingly often, that idea that seems so unique to the latest bestseller, turns out to have made a prior appearance in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells, if not some medieval romance or even ancient mythology. In that vein, Ken McLeod has quipped that “History is the trade secret of science fiction”.
Closed Thread