The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
    At the moment, my province has only 93 active cases, which can not be said about the other provinces. Sure, it helps that I live on an island, but we've stayed really strict on isolation and quarantine rules.

I'm guessing you're not in my province, since I can't find the actual figures but I'm pretty sure we've got more than 93 active cases at the moment ...

I plan to keep masking too, not least because I've spent money on a lot of nice masks but also because I'm hearing flu numbers are WAY down and masks are being given a lot of credit for that.

I've written before about one of our customers who has said he "didn't need" a mask because "my chakra is balanced." Saw him in another cashier's line the other day. He was wearing a mask.
    Last edited by EricKei; 05-27-2021, 10:02 AM. Reason: *snip*
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I'm in Newfoundland - we pretty much closed our borders to everything but essential travel, and pulled out of the Atlantic Bubble after the last shut-down. Most of our numbers right now are from a cluster in Central Newfoundland and it started out as travel-related and it's believed whoever brought it into that area had not isolated like they were supposed to.

Comment

• They previously told us that they would drop the mask requirement when 70% of adults are fully vaccinated. They just amended it to 70% or June 28, whichever comes first.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• As soon as my workplace says that masks are no longer mandatory for vaxxed employees, mine is coming off and staying off (and ditto for any business that allows the same luxury).

HAD IT with this suffocating thing on my face for up to six hours a day. Worst thing that will happen would be a common cold, and I can deal with that.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
            ... I'm hearing flu numbers are WAY down and masks are being given a lot of credit for that.
            It's funny how measures that are taken to prevent the spread of a droplet-borne respiratory viral infection can actually have an effect on ... <checks notes> ... a droplet-borne respiratory viral infection.

Huh.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              It's funny how measures that are taken to prevent the spread of a droplet-borne respiratory viral infection can actually have an effect on ... <checks notes> ... a droplet-borne respiratory viral infection.
              I commented on that to the nurse when I got my flu shot last fall. I said that the distancing/masks/etc should reduce flu numbers from a normal year, all else being equal. The "all else" including the usual flu vaccine counts, of course.

Comment

• In other words, science is about 80 % reliable. Nothing is 100 %.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

• Last week The Store updated its mask policy to say that employees and customers who've been fully vaccinated can go without masks.

Employees are required to submit proof of vaccination and have it logged in the computer before unmasking, whereas customers, as before, are allowed to lie to us and we're required to believe them.

I'm going to keep wearing my masks and my big "Vaccinated" button on my apron for as long as they allow me to.
                  Last edited by Smapti; 05-28-2021, 04:28 AM.

Comment

• Just got my first poke, am waiting to see how it goes before I leave. Already have the next appointment scheduled.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• I hope I didn't mention this elsewhere but when all this first started, we had a customer who wouldn't wear a mask because "my chakra is balanced."

Saw him a few days ago in somebody else's line ... he was wearing a face covering. (More of a bandanna than a mask but who cares. )
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Is that guy related to my cousin in OR? She doesn't believe in the vax, does believe in Covid but thinks the immune system and naturopathic medicine is enough to vanquish it. She does wear a mask where required but has to be prodded to do so.

My company has revised their sidewalk signage to read "masks are optional but recommended for all customers, associates and vendors". Unvaccinated people are still required to mask up...but who can tell? There's a notice posted by the timeclock saying that if you don't want to wear a mask you must attest to being fully vaccinated (the unspoken part seems to be "you assume any risks"). I'm still masking because it helps with pollen/ozone; I am less wary about pulling my mask down for five seconds to drink something.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• First day of glorious freedom from masks at work today since March of last year.

Comment

• I do think that the acrylic barriers should remain at the checkouts/service desk permanently...it would probably cost more to remove them, and it's a welcome layer of protection from SCs trying to reach over to the register (pre-Covid, it was a regular occurrence that if someone wanted their change differently, rather than use their words they get grabby) and/or throwing things.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              I do think that the acrylic barriers should remain at the checkouts/service desk permanently...it would probably cost more to remove them, and it's a welcome layer of protection from SCs trying to reach over to the register (pre-Covid, it was a regular occurrence that if someone wanted their change differently, rather than use their words they get grabby) and/or throwing things.
                              It would take a second or 2 to remove the one we have at my work. With my messed up back, maybe 3 seconds to remove it.
                              Maybe we could use the wood in it to smoke ribs, or some other meat, at work. Being the grill master, I'm up for the task.

The plastic would go into the dumpster.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• I like the barriers and think they should stay with us forever. Or until people start treating service folks like people, which ever comes first.

I also wouldn't like to eat food cooked over treated and/or painted wood, but that's probably just me.

Comment

Working...
                                X