No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my hair cut today, and they're no longer requiring masks if you're fully vaccinated. The sign on the door specifically mentioned that "fully vaccinated" means at least two weeks since the final shot. I guess they don't want a repeat of what happened with that cruise ship.

They also have chairs in the waiting area again. I didn't even notice until the cashier told me that the stylist would be ready in a few minutes and said I could sit and wait.

About the only places still requiring masks anymore is some restaurants. The state is dropping the requirement entirely a week from Monday
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post
      They also have chairs in the waiting area again. I didn't even notice until the cashier told me that the stylist would be ready in a few minutes and said I could sit and wait.
      The lobby in my movie theater put in new sofas a few weeks ago. Now I finally have somewhere to sit down and read while waiting for my movie again.

Comment

• Just got my second shot, am waiting for the fifteen minutes to be up. By July 4th I'll be fully vaccinated.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• California has dropped most mandatory mask requirements for fully-vaccinated people. The major exception is medical offices.

I still wear a mask in many places, as any business can require them if they choose.

But still, we've eaten in actual indoor sit-down restaurants several times now!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Just out of curiosity,how can they tell if you've been fully vaccinated? It's not like you turn bright blue or something....
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• When the vaccine rollout was first announced, one of my online forums was tossing around an idea involving a UV-reactive pigment added to the vaccine vial; to verify vaccination, all you would need to do is shine a blacklight/counterfeit pen on someone's arm. "Progress" could be marked by a color change (first shot, purple; second shot, blue or something like that). The big question was how long would the dye be detectable; it would need to be engineered to last as long as any protection.

My salon is still requiring masks, but has relaxed all other protocols; no more temp checks and you can carry your phone/wallet on you (before, you had to place it in a clear bag). Still limiting what you bring in, the door is locked and you need to text on arrival (still appointment-only) and come solo unless you absolutely need assistance.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Just out of curiosity,how can they tell if you've been fully vaccinated? It's not like you turn bright blue or something....
                Really?!? I was wondering why I never turned bright blue. Not that they said I would.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• First in-person grocery run since California lifted the mask mandate. At the Walmart I went to, mask usage was about 50% among customers. Being fully vaccinated (and I had both my physical card in my purse and a photo of it on my phone), I indulged in facial freedom . Amazing how much more relaxed and human shopping feels when you can swap visible smiles with people around you.

I was a bit worried when I noticed the paper and cleaning aisles looking a bit decimated again.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    Just out of curiosity,how can they tell if you've been fully vaccinated? It's not like you turn bright blue or something....
                    There's no way to tell, of course, and AFAIK nobody's allowed to ask for any kind of proof. Which means any anti-mask, anti-vaxxer can now wander around in these places with impunity.

I had a customer the other day ask if I had to wear gloves. I said no but I'd gotten used to them. About an hour later some dipshit comes through my line, I scan her groceries and tell her the total. She grunts, pulls her mask down and licks her thumb so she can sift through her bills.

I will definitely remember that next time somebody asks if the gloves are mandatory.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• My job made the official announcement that they'll drop their mask requirement on Monday, the same day that state does. I figured they would, since they've been following the governor's actions every step of the way.

My wife just found out that they'll start bringing people back into the office next month, just like mine is doing, but hers is doing it in groups, and her group won't go back until September. But so far, her job isn't dropping their mask requirement.

Our state seems to be doing OK with the case count. They've been dropping pretty quickly. I think it was maybe two months ago when they finally dropped below 1000, and the last few days they've been under 200. That's the best we've seen since this whole mess started. Roughly a year ago, they were down to 300-something, but then they started creeping back up again. Really hoping that doesn't happen this time. We're enjoying being able to do things we haven't been able to for a long time, including our beach trip next month, which we weren't able to do last year.

Comment

• My daughter's job has announced that they are slowly going to start bringing people back into the office. She's already decided that if they are not willing to continue to allow people the choice to work at home that she's going to tell them she's looking for a new job because a two hour round-trip commute is nuts, and they've proven that it is easier for all the staff to work from home instead of making them go into the office. The unfortunate thing is that there is nothing hiring f/t time right in our area, and I don't know if they would really want to work for another call center. Not to mention that she still hasn't gone in for her first vaccination...I wonder if part of the reason she's been putting it off is because it will delay her having to return to the office.

Comment

• The state dropped the mask requirements yesterday -- for the most part. They're still required on busses (until September I think), in airports, doctors' offices, etc. And of course any business that chooses to still require them can still do so. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and there was a sign on the door that said "Masks are still required."

I went into my job to use the fitness center last evening, since I can now go in without bothering with a mask. The drive there takes me past a hospital, and ever since this began, they had a huge tent in the parking lot that they used for COVID testing. I noticed when I went past this time, the tent was gone. I figured it would be awhile longer before that happened. Not even sure when they took it down. I didn't see it when I went past there last time, but then I wasn't really paying attention either.

After I finished my workout, I went upstairs to check things out since they're getting ready to start bringing us back in. The first thing I wanted to see was if I still had the same desk. I saw a seating chart, but since I hadn't been up there in quite some time, I wasn't sure if it was or it wasn't. We were doing desk-sharing before they sent us all home, but they're ending that, so some people had to move. The guy I was sharing retired, so it would make sense to just keep me where I am, but then what makes sense and what's actually done is often two different things. But it turns out they kept me where I am, so I don't have to move anything. But I have to throw a bunch of the other guy's trash out. He took his belongings with him when he retired, but apparently couldn't be bothered to throw out his junk. One thing he left in one of the drawers was a thing of powdered coffee creamer. Even if I drank coffee, that stuff's probably no good anymore. I might go back over there later to get rid of his trash, bring a few of my belongings in, and make sure I can connect the laptop at my desk. They switched me over to a new laptop last summer, and it uses a different type of docking station. It looks like there's one of the new ones on my desk, but I want to make sure.

While I was up there, I looked around a bit. Most of the pre-pandemic stuff that was on the bulletin boards has been taken down, but there is still some old stuff on some people's white boards relating to events that were supposed to happen but never did. The weirdest thing had to be seeing the empty vending machines. They haven't been stocking them, and since there have been very few people still working in the building, it wouldn't have made sense to do so.

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
                            Amazing how much more relaxed and human shopping feels when you can swap visible smiles with people around you.
                            Smiling? ... At a WALMART?!? O_O
                            I don't know how to break this to you, Seanette, but your local WM is populated with vampires.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I don't know how to break this to you, Seanette, but your local WM is populated with vampires.
                              No wonder I can't get any service during the daylight hours.

Next time I'll leave my sunny disposition at home.

Is that why they don't sell garlic, crosses, mirrors or stakes?
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I'll do my best to not go beyond the rules here, but this is very close to my heart.

I live in the state of Minnesota. I also live in outstate MN, not the metro area.

There's a very interesting quark to my state. If you Duck Duck Go (or any other search engine) to a map of my state, you'll see a little point at the top of it. That point is called the Northwest Angle, or Angle Township. There's very few ways to get there. By land, you've got to have a passport, and go into Canada (Manitoba) to get back into the US. You can also by boat, across the lake to the Angle. You could also fly into there by seaplane, or else there's a small airstrip there.

The land border is closed right now, to tourists. So the only way to get there is by air or boat.

Me and my friends went to the Angle by a boat shuttle service.

When we got to the resort - Angle Outpost - we found out that we're the only guests in their 12 cabin resort, and there won't be more until July 7th.

This family of 9, who are trying to survive, are getting killed by the land border being closed. 2 of the oldest daughters are getting married this year, and their dad, and the one brother, who is still a kid, are going to North Dakota, to do construction work to keep the family resort alive.

I so love this place. I don't want to see it die, but the governments seem to not give a damn if the 100 people who live there make it or not.

Open the border so we can get there. I'll promise to not to stop in the RM of Piney to open a hog factory - they have signs that they don't want them there. Jason and Lisa Goulet are part of the group hurting there.

I just hope there's an Angle Outpost for me to go to next year.
                                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                                X