This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmares

So on top of everything else that has been happening...I've been having non stop nightmares. Just recently I had to wake myself up from one that made me sick to my stomach.

Self cannabalism...slicing off pieces of my legs and....yea...

There has been spiders, weather, drowning while dehydrated... I don't know what to do and my therapist just wants to drug me. I don't want drugs I want to know what is going on.

It sounds like panic attack styles to me - especially the drowning whilst not breathing. Drugs may well help - if you are feeling overwhelmed when awake it might only get worse in dreams.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I'm not a dream analyst, but most of what we see in our dreams can be interpreted as expressions of internalized thoughts and feelings. Are you feeling particularly self destructive? That may be we're the self cannibalism is coming form. I would hazard that you're really, really stressed.
      Here's a website I found http://www.dreammoods.com/

Comment

To be honest, 90% of all dream 'interpretation' is crap. You mind is working through the recent events in your life [at least that is what researchers seem to finally agree upon] and all the imagery is obviously very personal.

As was pointed out, you are probably very stressed out over something. You might consider stopping and spending an evening working out exactly what you are stressed out about, consider what you can do to reduce those specific influences, and try to reduce as many stressors in your life as possible. I am thinking that perhaps enlisting a friend to help you in some guided meditation might help.

You might also try getting some very peaceful 'meditations' type music and make an 8 hour playlist to go on very quietly all night to sort of distract your mind from running on all night on whatever is worrying you may help.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Maybe it was the Seraph "knuckle sandwich" thread that did it!

Comment

As I've mentioned elsewhere, analgesics have been implicated in weird dreams, especially ibuprofen. Been taking any at night?

Comment

To those who are saying I might be stressed...take a look at my thread "F'ing Hell"...

As for drugs at night the only thing I've been taking is does of OTC Aleve to try and keep my headaches down enough so I can sleep but I've already exceeded maximum dosage on those. In other words I'm not going any higher.

I just tried doing a short cat nap while I waited for the hot water tank to refill...I think my mind thinks ill taste good...

Comment

I'd second going with meditation or relaxing type music while you sleep...I started doing that about 6-8 months ago, and have never slept better. That said, I also have very vivid dreams that most would probably call nightmares, but I enjoy them. I'm weird like that.

Since I like to combat stress with humor, here's an easy one.

I had a self cannibalism dream once...I ruined it halfway through when my mind made a Pizza the Hut reference, and I woke up bursting into laughter as I slowly transformed into a giant pizza gangster. Like I said, I'm a weird guy...
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I used to sleep with music but I would constantly wake up, then I started with fans, then to white noise...after awhile any noise would just make me lay there in agony of the sound. About three years ago I had started with the tv on in another room...that lasted for awhile and then my ex started reading to me before bed. That worked wonders but then something happened and he stopped doing that. Since then I've been going through the books before bed, baths before bed, music, tv, fans, getting myself half frozen so I can bury myself, all types of things. I've tried sleeping pills and the affects are...messy.

When the headaches started to become daily/nightly it made things harder and the nightmares worse. But then so is my depression but I think some or maybe a lot of that is I can't sleep soundly.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    As for drugs at night the only thing I've been taking is does of OTC Aleve to try and keep my headaches down enough so I can sleep but I've already exceeded maximum dosage on those.
                    Yes, Aleve is known to cause nightmares, and if you're over the max rated dosage that's very likely causing part of the problem.

Comment

If having someone read to you helps try audible.com. My beast friend used to read to me when I could not sleep due to anxiety and when he moved away I started listening to audio books.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                        Maybe it was the Seraph "knuckle sandwich" thread that did it!
                        ....I accept no responsibility for insanity acquired due to my posts. <.<
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post

Yes, Aleve is known to cause nightmares, and if you're over the max rated dosage that's very likely causing part of the problem.
                          Then I guess it's headaches that make me cry and have no sleep or sleep and nightmares...great

Comment

I'm not sure if Advil/Ibuprofin has the same issues as Aleve...never had any weird dream issues with it. Just make sure to eat something first, naturally, if you try that.

Another thought, if having sound while you sleep is bad, have you ever tried meditative techniques just before you go to sleep to get you to a relaxed state? A short recording of a meditation instruction that doesn't repeat and turns off after one play might do the trick.

Alternatively, if the headaches don't get too bad, you could try doing a workout session at night, enough to tire you out so that you pass out quickly. That's worked for me in the past as well.

Unfortunately I don't know many other suggestions...I'm a lifelong insomniac, but I listen to stillstream.com when I sleep and it helps me out, but if white noise kept you awake that won't work :/
                            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                            "What IS fun to fight through?"
                            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
                              I'm not a dream analyst, but most of what we see in our dreams can be interpreted as expressions of internalized thoughts and feelings. Are you feeling particularly self destructive? That may be we're the self cannibalism is coming form. I would hazard that you're really, really stressed.
                              Here's a website I found http://www.dreammoods.com/

Another good one is dreambible.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X