This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting vertigo watching a movie.

Ok lately I've been watching a few movies, and when they show something from a high perspective I've experienced vertigo. A long time ago I had a fear of heights, but once I flew in a plane it pretty much went away. *shrugs* Not sure why a movie would give me vertigo.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

I don't know either, but I've got a friend who gets vertigo from movies and some video games. He takes Dramamine when he knows he's going to be watching or playing something that will set it off.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's not just you. I don't tend to get vertigo watching movies, but I know that my Mom can get motion sick from films that are too "jittery" or feature some spinning to the background during a scene. It's one reason I haven't sat her down to see "Inception," because I suspect the zero-g hallway fight scene would probably make her ill.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It's only started happening recently. In the last week or so, never had any trouble watching movies or tv shows before then. Even when I was afraid of heights.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Ah, yes, vertigo, my mortal enemy. Had a few go-rounds earlier this year with the bitch.

Could be inner ear issues, Mytical. Sometimes due to congestion or allergies, sometimes for no discernible reason. Mine started while riding the subway to work one morning in January; first time in years that I'd had problems with it.

You might want to check with your doctor if it starts causing problems at other times besides movies and TV.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah that is another weird thing. I can stand pretty high up and look out a window without any problem. *laughs* Probably ear congestion though.

((Note: Not looking for medical advise, just commenting oh how weird it just started out of nowhere, and doesn't affect me except when watching movies/tv))

Comment

This happens to me with any "first person" type video games (like Halo, etc) and "shaky cam" movies like Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield. Can't watch them or I'll get migraines and nausea.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

It happens to me every once in a while. When I first saw "The Empire Strikes Back" in a theatre, I almost lost my lunch during the scene where the Snowspeeders are looking for Luke and Han. Seen it a dozen times since, no problem.

I also get it once in a while with video games.
                "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

My brother gets vertigo from heights/has a bit of a fear of them. I, on the other hand, am fine with heights, but i cannot stand moving downwards at steep angles (e.g., escalators in general -- I HAVE to hold on with both hands -- especially, unusually steep escalators like some of those in Atlanta's main airport)
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Vertigo at the movies? I've heard there's a 39 step program to cure that.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Vertigo at the movies? I've heard there's a 39 step program to cure that.
                      Are you Psycho? That's for The Birds! I think you are trying to Rope him into something in order to Sabotage him.

SC
                      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I believe I already made reference to one of those movies in another thread.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Only with IMAX made movies. And by that I mean films specifically filmed with IMAX projectors, not unconverted from conventional recording.

When I was in school we watched one on the rainforest and I had to keep checking if I was still in my chair.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                          X