This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got to meet Neil Gaiman last night

When Gaiman announced that his current US booksigning tour would be his last (last US tour devoted to booksigning, that is), I knew I HAD to get to it. I couldn't convince any of my friends to go with me, so I put out a plea on Twitter for a ride; Gaiman retweeted it, and I rode to the event with two strangers who became friends.

It. Was. Amazing. Gaiman did a reading from The Ocean at the End of the Lane, took some questions, and read a bit from Fortunately, the Milk. Then he sat down to sign. He signed books from about 9:30pm until 2:40am. My friends and I were 20th from the end, and everyone was a bit loopy by then, but Gaiman, though obviously exhausted, was still engaging, funny, and incredibly gracious. (I gave him one of my rag doll ponies: I'd made one of Death from the Sandman books. He sat it on the table to guard the line so that 1500 more people didn't pop up and demand autographs)

While waiting for my turn in the signing line, I read all of his new book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was incredible. Without a doubt, my favorite Gaiman novel.

The evening was worth the crazy hours (I got home just before 4am). I got to meet my favorite living author, and he was wonderful. EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Just had to share the excitement!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Quoth patiokitty View Post
    I love that man! I follow him on tumblr and he is such a gracious human being. He had run a contest for people to submit art for his calendar of stories project and he shared so many wonderful pieces of art. Really just an amazing guy I'm glad you got meet him...and now I'm wondering if there will be pictures on tumblr of him with the pony you made him
    Gods, I hope so. A friend got one picture: http://t.co/W5P7A7cMGE

I've now gotten to meet my two favorite living authors (at the time.) The first was Ray Bradbury, in approximately 2008. After he died, my favorite living author is Gaiman, and now I've met him. So insanely happy about that. And he was just wonderful. Very generous with his presence and emotional energy; being an introvert, I know just how hard that can be.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Very cool!

I myself have had the great fortune to meet one of my favorite authors, Tim Dorsey, and even got him rip-roaring drunk the first time I met him!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Neat! I'll admit I'm so very jealous right now. I really want to meet him someday. And Jim Butcher.

But Ocean is good? *wants to buy it for her Nook possibly*
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I'm not a big fan of his work but I think he's an excellent human being. Glad you had fun and he liked your pony!
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Would it be bad for me to say he looks creepy?

I've only read Coraline, so I'm not too familiar with his work, but I did like that. He sounds like Pratchett in how nice he is.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post

I've only read Coraline, so I'm not too familiar with his work, but I did like that. He sounds like Pratchett in how nice he is.
              He can look creepy. But that's okay.

Coraline was good, but The Graveyard Book was better. And I highly recommend reading the whole Sandman collection.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Very cool!

I met China Mieville a few months ago. A friend and I went to see a play based on The City and The City, and he was there signing books. We couldn't get into the performance that had a Q and A afterward
                "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                  Neat! I'll admit I'm so very jealous right now. I really want to meet him someday. And Jim Butcher.

But Ocean is good? *wants to buy it for her Nook possibly*
                  Ocean is fucking fantastic. I've already started a re-read. Easily my favorite of his, along with Sandman.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post

He only looks creepy in still photos. When you see him talk, he's just an absolute doll!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Very cool!

I myself have had the great fortune to meet one of my favorite authors, Tim Dorsey, and even got him rip-roaring drunk the first time I met him!
                      That is both awesome and completely unsurprising.

Comment

Meeting authors is so special I got to meet Kylie Chan today!

Comment

Oh, I am so jealous! Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors. I'd love a chance to meet him.

Sandman, Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) and Anansi Boys are my favourite stories by him, but I love them all.

You are so lucky that you got to meet him.
                          my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                          it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Awesome! I hope to meet him someday. I've been fortunate enough to meet many of my favorite authors over my years of attending and working cons. I've even managed to play Cards Against Humanity with one of my all-time favorites, Steven Brust. Still hurts that I missed Robert aspirin, though...
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
                              Oh, I am so jealous! Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors. I'd love a chance to meet him.
                              I can happily confirm that he is every bit as delightful in person as you would expect. Even after 1500 people and over 5 hours of signing, he was lovely, and funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X