This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer wanted me to clean off the belt before unloading her groceries

Yesterday at work on a busy Sunday a customer of mine asked me to clean off the belt at the register I was assigned to before she unloaded her groceries due to her claim that there are e coli and germs on the belt.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 05-14-2018, 12:18 PM.

This customer was serious, right?

Query: how often are checkout counter conveyors cleaned at your store? Are they cleaned at all?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

When I was a cashier cleaning was one of those things you were encouraged to do when you had no customers, but...I don't think it's done too often.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

"Well, sir, you probably shouldn't be licking the conveyor belt in the first place...."
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

To germaphobes, belts at the grocery store are probably a nightmare, even with their food bagged up.

Comment

Consider how many hands have touched the products before you picked them up and put them in your cart.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This person, if they really had a phobia, could go through the SCO. Then they could leave the items in the cart (the GERM COVERED cart), scan, and drop into the bag. I understand there's an ick factor with the belts, I've sometimes been a little icked out when the belt was wet or dirty looking. But basically everything in public is disgusting, there's no getting around it.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The belt is the least of your concerns. Just don't think about it, or you will never step foot into a grocery store again.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

If you really want to brain-crash that sort you can tell them that not only are they walking through a fog of microorganisms suspended in the air (and attached to nearly every surface around them), but the bacteria inside their body vastly outnumber their own body's cells.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                    If you really want to brain-crash that sort you can tell them that not only are they walking through a fog of microorganisms suspended in the air (and attached to nearly every surface around them), but the bacteria inside their body vastly outnumber their own body's cells.
                    Are we human beings hosting vast quantities of bacteria, or are we a group of bacteria getting together and having a human experience? *thonking*

Comment

Based on the way most humans behave, I'd say humans are little more than costumes for a plethora of bacteria and parasites.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                        Based on the way most humans behave, I'd say humans are little more than costumes for a plethora of bacteria and parasites.
                        Well, some people make that more obvious than others.

Comment

I always find germaphobes to be the least consistent people. Some probably are genuinely concerned about infection whereas with others I think it's just a form of having control over others.

The person I was living with for three years did not like shaking hands. He didn't like opening doors. But he had no problem using a make-up napkin to absorb the pus from his dog's growths and then throwing it on the kitchen floor until they piled up.

He didn't use gloves while doing this, either.

Go figure.
                          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I'll admit that as I've aged I've become more germ-phobic. Growing up on a farm...well there are just lots of nasty and dangerous things you have to do to protect your critters, crops, family and make a living.
                            On check-out belts I'd be more concerned about meat juices and potential poisonness OTC chemicals leaking, but that's just me. I don't buy supermarket meat and rarely buy fresh veggies/fruits.
                            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I clean my belt as much as I can. Customers have complimented me on how clean the belt looks.
                              My Fanfic Page
                              My Fiction Page
                              My Social Group
                              My Pet Social Group
                              My You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X