This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupidity squared

It was a fairly quiet week on the SC front for me, but yesterday, there were two particular cases of stupidity that I found hilarious and thought I should share.

And the Darwin Award Nominee is...

At my particular store, we buy back textbooks year round, so we have, on occasion people coming in to sell books for extra cash. There was a guy who came in yesterday to sell a book back, and the textbook clerk on duty (I was coming back from my break) told him the book was worth $10. Not bad, considering it was an old edition of a lab manual. The guy agrees, we fill out the receipt, and he takes it up to the registers to cash it out. I go up to the lockers, which are by the registers, as he's walking out the door and the cashier on duty is glaring at th guy as he walks out. I go over to ask what's wrong and she sputters "He just tried to scam me! What an ass!"

She hands me the buyback receipt, and sure enough, the number 10, somewhere between the textbook counter and the cash registers had attempted to morph into a 16. Now, let me explain why this was pure idiocy on his part:

1. The original amount, 10.00 was written in black ink. He attempted to change the first 0 to a 6....with a blue pen.
    2. He attempted to change the 10 to 16, but didn't change the other part of the slip to match. (our buyback slips look like large checks. As a fail safe, we have to write out the amount "Ten and 00/100 dollars", as well as writing out "$10.00", just for security purposes, and both numbers have to match before the slip can be cashed out.

The cashier simply cashed out the slip for $10, gave the man his money and glared at him, daring to contradict her. I was waiting for the fight as well, but he took his money and shuffled out. I took the slip from her, went to write down his info on it (we require a valid ID, state or school, with an ID number that can be run in emergencies, plus they sign and print their names on the slip as well, so we had his name and driver's license #) We thought he would never come into the store again, having been caught.

But of course, things never end up the way you think they will.

He came back 5 minutes later, but not to sell back a book....

Oh no. He saw we had posted Now Hiring signs, so he came in wrote down the website where you apply and left again.

I think we all laughed our asses off after he left the second time. Oh yeah, he's a keeper...

Can we start a betting pool as to whether or not he will be hired. I'm giving 1 million to 1 odds on Yes.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      Can we start a betting pool as to whether or not he will be hired. I'm giving 1 million to 1 odds on Yes.
      Given the influx of stupid coworkers that have recently been hired...I'm sad to say his odds might actually be better than that.

but that belongs in the cussing out coworkers section, which I think I need to visit soon...

Comment

You should hire him and tell him his wage will be $16.85 per hour, then every time he gets a paycheck, alter it to $6.85 with a blue pen.
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
          Given the influx of stupid coworkers that have recently been hired...I'm sad to say his odds might actually be better than that.

but that belongs in the cussing out coworkers section, which I think I need to visit soon...

I'll join you there (i like my coworkers but our hotel workers are driving me mad )

Quoth Saydrah View Post
          You should hire him and tell him his wage will be $16.85 per hour, then every time he gets a paycheck, alter it to $6.85 with a blue pen.
          can you take over HR at the call center? Pleaes?!?!
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
            Thats ok, I'll just x out a few of the 0's on my odds should I lose. See it was only 10 to 1 odds. What X's made with blue pen, I don't see any X's made with blue pen

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
              I may just suggest this to my manager next time I see him...

Quoth Chanlin View Post
              Thats ok, I'll just x out a few of the 0's on my odds should I lose. See it was only 10 to 1 odds. What X's made with blue pen, I don't see any X's made with blue pen

but...the original odds ticket was printed on the 'puter...does that mean the printer's lousy and I have to call tech support now? >.< I's so confused...

Comment

Working...
              X