This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Part-Time Parrothead View Post
    Actually, if it was 51% of a five dollar bill, it's still valid currency (just take it to a bank, they should change it out.) If it's 50%, then hes SOL.
    In Germany, as long as you've got the serial number, it doesn't matter how much of a note you have on you. Any bank will exchange it for a new one.

On the other hand, if the serial number is missing, you're SOL. Even if you still have most of the note on you.
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I've always wondered WHY people carry all their OLD ID. I've seen it multiple times and I can't figure it out. Usually they end up grabbing the expired one and pleading with us to take it. Which gets a big fat NO.

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
        Although I don't think I condone looking through a customer's wallet,
        ya kinda have to to find out whose it is to return it.......

plus, the whole nosiness thing

My favorite "lost and found" (which I may have posted previously) was a purse in a bar. I was cleaning and found same, dug for a wallet, found ID and called woman.

Then the sucky customer aspects came into play. When I told her I found her purse at Some Club she told me she'd be by at 11 to pick it up. Sorry ma'am, I'll be done cleaning by then.... and gone. I can leave it in the office and you can come by when we open and pick it up then, or you can come by before 10. She sighed, extremely put out by the fact that I was apparently unwilling to wait around for her for an hour.

She comes by before 10 and I let her in. She brushes past me when she sees her purse at the bar, grabs it and leaves. No hi, bye, or thanks.

Sad thing is, I could have made her life MISERABLE - there was lots of cash, credit cards, birth control pills, speed, and marijuana in the bag. If common courtesy doesn't make you polite to the person that reunites you with your possessions, you would think common sense would make you at least minimally polite to him for not turning you in or stealing from you or harassing you!

Thanks for taking my Faith in Humanity Meter down another notch.
        Last edited by sms001; 05-29-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
          I've always wondered WHY people carry all their OLD ID. I've seen it multiple times and I can't figure it out. Usually they end up grabbing the expired one and pleading with us to take it. Which gets a big fat NO.
          I've got both my NY and my VA IDs in my wallet. Simply put, I use them in their respective states so I don't get a doorman or cigarette clerk staring at an unfamiliar ID. There've been times I've almost been denied a sale, because they think it's fake.
          Neither ID is expired, so I also keep them in case one or the other gets stolen/lost/eaten.
          "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
          "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
          X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

I know that every state is different . . .but it is my understanding that as soon as you apply for an ID in another state . . .the first ID becomes invaild even if it hasn't expired yet.

I understand not wanting to confuse people . .. but please be careful . . .I wouldn't like to see someone from this site in trouble just because they were trying to not confuse people who have to look at ID's on a regular basis.

It is one thing to have dual citizenship with different countries . . .however within the United States there isn't such a thing as dual stateship.

Comment

At least in MA, that only applies to driver's licenses AFAIK. State IDs, you are allowed to have more than one as long as both are not expired (my NM ID is current for another year, has my school address on it but not much I can do about that).

Not 100% certain on this, but that's what I was told.

Some states have Liquor IDs. I think in MA, some bars/stores are starting to not accept out of state cards. There's no reason why a college student here for a few years can't apply for a Liquor ID to be able to buy it while in-state.
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

DreamStalker - you make a good point . .. a State ID card which can look a lot like a Drivers License is a different situation than a Drivers License.
                Sadly I am of the school of thought that 9 times out of 10 sees ID and thinks Drivers License. (even though I had a state issued photo ID at 14)
                Thanks for catching that verbage.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                  I've always wondered WHY people carry all their OLD ID.
                  I carry my WI ID because I think I look better in that picture. Prettier, smilier and whiter.

Everyone else prefers it, too. I wish I could get that pic transfered to my NJ DL.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                    In Germany, as long as you've got the serial number, it doesn't matter how much of a note you have on you. Any bank will exchange it for a new one.
                    US currency has two duplicate serial numbers, though. So we can't do something simple like that. Believe me, some nights I wish we could have had simpler rules on it. We had over $200 in trashed bills in one night, and they had to be documented and sent into the bank once a week for replacement. For some reason, people bring their most disgusting money to amusement parks.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The state I'm in takes away your other ID. Regardless if its still valid. I still have my CA ID though because the other place I moved to at the time only punches holes in the expiration date. I guess it depends on the state you live in. But I was just curious as to why they keep the expired ones. And usually it's the same state.

I don't carry my expired one on me though.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                        Isn't it illegal to intentionally damage currency?

Please tell me beer isn't 2.50 USD through...
                        Only if you're trying to make it look like something else. Like changing a $1.00 into $100.00.
                        Check out my cosplay social group!
                        http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Here in PA when I renewed my State ID they told me to keep the old one at home in case I lost the new one. They said it makes it easier to get a new one then.

Comment

At my store, we usually put lost IDs, credit cards, etc, in one of the register drawers for a couple of days to see if the owner comes to claim them. If no one claims them within a few days, we usually just give them to one of the cops as they make their rounds.

If it's a lost wallet or phone, we just sit it under the counter near the registers until someone comes to claim it, or we decide to give it to one of the cops making rounds. As for calling someone on the phone or checking a wallet for an ID, I just get nervous that they may try to blame me for messing with it if something is amiss later.
                            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                              The state I'm in takes away your other ID. Regardless if its still valid. I still have my CA ID though because the other place I moved to at the time only punches holes in the expiration date. I guess it depends on the state you live in. But I was just curious as to why they keep the expired ones. And usually it's the same state.

I don't carry my expired one on me though.
                              Ditto here for TN cards. I still have mine (and EQ's), I guess they will go into a scrap book or something.

Last time someone left a purse at my store, I yelled at the other cashiers for not answering the ringing phone. As soon as it rang again I grabbed it and said that the phone and purse was in my store and to contact the owner.
                              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                                As for calling someone on the phone or checking a wallet for an ID, I just get nervous that they may try to blame me for messing with it if something is amiss later.
                                My store's policy is that all purses are to be checked with at least two people present, at the service desk, then put immediately in the safe. That way, there's two witnesses, we have a log of the contents, and it's on camera.
                                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X