This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to return a movie

So I worked at a movie rental store for 3 years in college. It was a great job and I loved my co workers and the free movies. The customers, not so much. Here is a story that was experienced by all of us, but my friend and coworker had to deal with.

A woman calls saying that she recieved one of our automated calls saying she had a late movie. My coworker checks her account and tells her there is a copy of The Forgotten checked out and late. The customer goes on the usual rant about how she KNOWS she turned in that movie and there is no possible way that it can be late. My coworker tells her that she will look around the store, but asked the customer to check under her car seat and around the house etc. The customer angrily hangs up on her.

The next day, while checking the drop box, my coworker notices a very distinct smell, nothing that should be in a drop box. She finds a copy of The Forgotten covered in what can only be cat pee. She manages to get the DVD to the shrink wrap machine to shrink wrap it to keep the smell from killing anyone and preserving the evidence. She checks the copy number and sure enough it's Sucky Customer's copy.

The next week a 20-something guy comes in to rent on the account. Seeing the note on the account, my coworker brings out the offending DVD and shows it to the guy. She tells him it's covered in cat pee and he owes her a copy of The Forgotten. He says they don't even own a cat.

I did have a chance to see the DVD and it did have a very distinct ammonia smell. Why do people think that things like that are ok? She had the movie, my coworker was very nice about it and told her she would look around, then they do something disgusting to product that we now can't rent to anyone else, then they deny it. I don't get it.

Ewww gross.
    When people get caught out they like acting like a 5 year old....seriously who even thinks thats cool?

Its like a tantrum being thrown really grossly!!
    every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.... for every person I can stand being around there is and eqaul and opposite idiot....... -_- damn stupid people

Comment

That's just nasty! Another reason why . Welcome aboard!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Blckroses View Post
        He says they don't even own a cat.
        Maybe she peed on it herself.

Comment

Quoth elysia View Post
          Maybe she peed on it herself.

That is even more disgusting

Comment

That's gross, but most people who have cats don't notice the "cat smell" in their house and can't imagine that they even have one.

Maybe it was Dog Pee?
            You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

Wasn't it NightAngel who posted about a returned video with cockroaches in it?

It wouldn't surprise me if someone peed on it, let their pet pee on it (or kid for that matter), or did gosh knows what with it and then returned it out of spite.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                It wouldn't surprise me if someone peed on it, let their pet pee on it (or kid for that matter), or did gosh knows what with it and then returned it out of spite.
                We once had some idiot drive past and throw a jar of poop at our building. (they missed the door, thankfully). I got the details of the car and it turned out the same car was one that did a drive off with a modified number plate. We'd figured out what the real plate was and they got a visit from the police, so they threw shit at us out of spite. So we had them done for vandalism as well.

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post
                  That's gross, but most people who have cats don't notice the "cat smell" in their house and can't imagine that they even have one.
                  I have a rented flat, part of the contract is no smoking in the house. First time Mum turned up, she was "oh, but that doesn't apply to me, right?", I had to show her the contract had no "apart from the tenants mum" clause. before she'd stub the fag out.

Comment

Good grief. The Forgotten wasn't such a great movie that I'd want to messy it up and buy the store a brand new replacement. At least choose a better selection
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

We're always getting DVDs returned to the library where the cases had obviously gotten wet, because the ink from all the stamped due dates bled on the label.

We've had DVDs returned with the plastic case full of baby oil, liners stained with coffee, one time a case was a virtual ant farm -- full of ants and ant eggs. WTF is wrong with people?

We also get a lot of DVDs returned cracked in half, and 99% of the patrons say they got them that way. Uh ... no, you didn't since I personally clean each and every DVD when it comes back. haha You should see them backpedal after I inform them of THAT fact.

SC: Ooohhhh ... well, uh ... um ... well, I didn't even get to watch it!

Me: Of course you didn't ... how could you when you cracked it in half? Sucks to be you then, cause I'm charging you for the full amount that we paid for the DVD, plus a $5 processing fee AND the overdue fines ($1/day). Have a lovely day!
                      I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

Welcome to CS!

Ahhh... the memories this thread brings back... UGH!

Quoth blas87 View Post
                        Wasn't it NightAngel who posted about a returned video with cockroaches in it?
                        Yes, yes it was. That would be one of the aforementioned memories.
                        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                        HellGate: London

Comment

Uuughhhh.... why, why would they do that? I swear, the only way I could understand these folks is if I suffered a major head injury.

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post

Maybe it was Dog Pee?
                            Let me tell you that the people who have the cat smell in their house either have too many cats, or are not cleaning the litter box enough. Back when I lived with my in-laws (newly weds) I had to keep kitties area clean everyday because the smell would give my mother in law migraines. Never had a problem with smell.

As for kitties peeing on the dvd, eeeewwwwwww.
                            I vote for hamster pee.

Comment

Quoth Ill_Used_Heroine View Post
                              We've had DVDs returned with the plastic case full of baby oil, liners stained with coffee, one time a case was a virtual ant farm -- full of ants and ant eggs. WTF is wrong with people?
                              But the ants needed a place to live. And what better place then a case that hasn't been moved for a month or more in a food infested territory? Makes perfect sense to an ant. ::shakes head in wonder at the lack of cleanliness of some people::

Comment

Working...
                              X