Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You almost killed me and I'M WRONG?! (Epic)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You almost killed me and I'M WRONG?! (Epic)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

*First of all if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry in advance. This
    isn't so much a SC but everyone but.*

Background: Last year I worked as a Valet in the South End of Boston.
    Rich yuppies, wanna-be thugs, and SCs like crazy. On most nights I'd
    run
    (drive to and from the lot with clients' cars) and others I'd bank
    (take
    and hold money and watch all of the keys). Also, this restaurant has a
    bus stop in a very bad place.

Well this night I felt the need to run so I get my first car: a very
    polite older gentleman in a silver 2006 BMW 540. ESRB $50k. We decide
    to
    keep it parked in front of the restaurant because it's a Wednesday and
    it will most likely be slow. So I park it in front and just as I open
    the door...A City bus cuts in (which is illegal during rush hour 5-8pm)
    and all but take the door off, with my arm still holding on! To prevent
    any serious injury my brain immediately tells me to let go and the door
    bends completely backward. Bus slams to a halt after dragging
    along the car. Bus driver and everyone exits. Bus driver BD starts
    rants:

BD: You should have saw me coming!
    Me: I did, and it's illegal for you to cut in!
    BD: You swung the door open

*I in fact did not swing the door open, I inched it open and checked
    how
    far out the bus was. Just as I opened it fully, he cut in.

The bank immediately radios my supervisor, gets the manager and the
    customer, and calls the police. Meanwhile I'm sitting on the sidewalk
    about to vomit, thinking more about losing my job and less about the
    fact that I was almost killed. Supervisor comes over and gets the story
    while the bus driver is screaming that I am an A*hole and I should be
    fired on the spot!

Now the owner comes out just as the police show up. He has a sad look
    on
    his face and I don't blame him one bit. He walks around the car to
    inspect the damage and just shakes his head. He walks up to me and says
    the most amazing thing:

"My insurance will cover that, the important part is that you're
    alright". I swear on all that is holy I almost cried.

Police take statements of all involved and tell me that it will be
    alright, the bus driver pulled an illegal maneuver. Two different
    officers tell me this. The whole time, passersby are taking pictures
    and
    giving me looks that are saying "He's gonna get fired".

A bit of time passes and my sup just gives me a hug and tells me to
    take
    a break. I go get some food and call my girlfriend to tell her what
    happened. She is glad I'm okay but mad I don't get to at least go home.
    We were shorthanded so I just switched to bank and have to keep from
    vomiting while waiting to find out if I lose my job at the end of the
    night.

End of the night comes, car is finally towed, car owner is gone to get
    a
    rental on the company's tab and I get handed an accident report by the
    sup. He tells me that pending an investigation by the insurance I may
    have to be let go.

Two days later I get a call from my sup telling me I'm in the clear. I
    am so relieved I take my girlfriend out to dinner.

Finally, I found out the bus driver got written up and the next time I worked at that restaurant, he drove by and gave me the finger .

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Side Note: the next week, a similar incident happened to a coworker. He parked a jaguar and a cab took the door clean off. He ended up with a dislocated shoulder.

WTF? Two cops say the bus pulled an illegal move, and yet still you "might have to be let go"? What is WRONG with these people?

I'm glad you weren't, and that you're okay.

Comment

Hi and

What a lovely story, don't you just love the world we live in today of blame everyone else for your mistakes. I'm amazed he didn't try to sue you for getting written up.

Just glad you didn't get hurt and look forward to future tales of yours.
      Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Hi!

That was such a close call! I can't believe he'd just cut in and slam through the door like that.

Some people should have mandatory license re-testing.

Comment

Finally, I found out the bus driver got written up and the next time I worked at that restaurant, he drove by and gave me the finger
          I'd have given him 2 or 4 back

Ah, the good old tradition of the british two fingers.
          I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Wonder if the owner thought of pressing charges? I mean, not to mention illegal manouvres, couldn't you also try something like Assault with a vehicle or something like that? (IANAL)
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Holy hell! The bus driver had the nerve to blame you for an accident that was his fault (by making an illegal maneuver)! I'm glad you're okay and that you still have your job. Welcome to CS!
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

*nod* Legally, I think it would be vehicular assault, but IANAL either.

from another Bostonian!
                I was going to say I'm a bit surprised the driver wasn't fired for almost killing someone, but it's the MBTA. Some of those bus/Ride drivers shouldn't be driving anything more complicated than a go-kart.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

It was more of a "This was a $50k car that was destroyed so there may be repercussions" kind of thing. I felt so sick to my stomach that I barely said a word outside of the official statements.

And besides, a few months later I had finals and had to take a night off to study, so I called out and my sup, the one who hugged me, told me I was fired if I didn't come in. I was the *best* driver they had at the time (not a single complaint or bad mark in 9 months, not even the accident) so I charged down to the office and had a talk with the owner. (I even left class early to do it)

The following Monday I went down there to speak to my sup in a calm manner and he immediately gave me my job back. The funny part...I quit just after he told me, I just wanted to leave on good terms. I even got super awesome references from him and another sup.

Comment

First of all, welcome. Second of all, Holy Flapjacks. Glad you were ok at the end of all that.

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                    WTF? Two cops say the bus pulled an illegal move, and yet still you "might have to be let go"? What is WRONG with these people?
                    That might be standard legal procedure - like, you have to warn them of what the outcome might be, you can't just say, oh, everything will be fine, because it's pending investigation. I may be completely wrong on that, mind.

And I agree, that driver should be confined to one of those coin run race cars they used to have mounted outside stores (least, in Ireland they used to. Never seen one here).

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                      Maybe the supervisor was aware that there might be dumb people among the insurance investigators or upper management, and that said people might decide they don't want to keep an employee who was involved in an accident that cost them so much, even though he is not in any way responsible for said accident.

We all know here that some people have their own home-brewed logic that doesn't quite fit that of the rest of the world...

But yeah, maybe said supervisor was running on his own home-brewed logic, but not knowing how exactly he said that it's difficult to tell.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

For a CDL you have to retest/renew every two years. I’m not sure how involved the retest is though. The bus driver should have been fired. Its horrid, he pulls an illegal maneuver, gets caught and all he gets is a warning. Government jobs, gotta love them.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                          What two people above me said. There's always the possibility that people above the supervisor could pull a stupid and say "He's cost us $xxx dollars already; we don't want him here anymore".

That being said the bus drivers in my rinky-dink town aren't much better. They don't slow down in parking lots, they ride my ass if I'm in their way pushing carts, they'll pull out from picking somebody up or dropping somebody off without looking and force somebody coming up behind them to slam on their brakes...

Something about driving a big vehicle with certain legal protections makes the drivers think they pwn the road or something.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wow, I'm glad that you're okay. Good thing the owner was cool about it. I think if that had happened to me, the owner being a jerk would have put me over the top. Wow, what an idiot that bus driver was.
                            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

So glad you are OK!

Quoth KitterCat View Post
                              For a CDL you have to retest/renew every two years. I’m not sure how involved the retest is though. The bus driver should have been fired. Its horrid, he pulls an illegal maneuver, gets caught and all he gets is a warning. Government jobs, gotta love them.
                              In this state, to renew you pay the extra fee. period. no road test. My SO has a CDL to drive big trucks, he hasn't in over a decade, but still pays for the CDL "just in case".

Comment

Working...
                              X