Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inconvenient truths for the stupid person in charge of the HOA.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Panacea View Post
    How do you grow raspberries? Do you need shade? Sunlight? What kind of soil? How much work did you have to put into them?

The one that I picked up were full sun. I just put one plant in with the strewberries to keep them company. To get the most out of them, you really need to have more then just one plant. They can be planted kinda close together too.

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up another one.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
      The one that I picked up were full sun. I just put one plant in with the strewberries to keep them company. To get the most out of them, you really need to have more then just one plant. They can be planted kinda close together too.
      And much like the blackberries that grow wild near my folks, you'll have to watch them as they near ripeness, as birds will nab the ripe berries if they can.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        Seraph, with a bit of planning and forethought, the previous owners could've had a nice yard. Nothing wrong with a rock garden, sundial, etc. But it sounds like they didn't plan it right or maintain it properly and it all went to rot. A pity, that.
        Exactly. It was like they went OOH THATS PRETTY LETS PUT IT THERE. If they'd sketched everything out, it could've been awesome.

Quoth Kanalah View Post
        Yep. In the back I have rasberries, strawberries, cherry tomatoes and red bell peppers.

On the porch I have parsley and tyme in pots.

My neighbors already think I'm weird.
        brb goin to kana's house.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          brb goin to kana's house.
          But. But. But... You'll be berried alive!

... Please, please don't throw me in that briar patch ...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            ... Please, please don't throw me in that briar patch ...
            !!! I know what happens in THIS story! lol

Comment

Well we've had one strawberry so far from the garden and Bob (the tomato plant) has 5 green cherry tomatoes on him so far. Derpy the bell pepper is just being derpy.

Yeah Seraph, come on down.

I don't really have a full-on homestead. Not yet. >.>

Edit: Before anyone asks, the 6 strawberry plants are named: Twilight, AJ, Dashie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie. The raspberry plant is named Celestia. If I grab another plant I'm planning on calling it Luna. (oo maybe blackberries!)

Comment

Kanalah, I think I love you.

And RK your garden is amazing. I wish I could have something like that. Problem is I have sun from when it comes up till it goes down. We have no trees. Everything burns here.
                Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  (oo maybe blackberries!)
                  And there goes the garden. Seriously every place the vine touches ground it will root and start another one. And they will run under sidewalks, up the walls of the house, and we even have one that forced its way through the basement window and tried to crawl across the ceiling.
                  Meeeeoooow.....
                  Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Well alright then, maybe another raspberry plant then.

I was looking up blackberry plants and I think I'd need a whole section just for them. Same with the grapes I'd like to grow.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      Bob (the tomato plant) has 5 green cherry tomatoes on him so far.
                      Do you have a cucumber plant named Larry?
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

No but the kids want one.

No room just yet, but if this takes off we're planning to expand the garden next year. Doing cucumbers, okra, larger tomatoes, pumpkins and watermelon.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Do you have a cucumber plant named Larry?
                          She also has that one reoccuring leek that never seems to get named, but always is quite dastardly!

Comment

Raspberries and blackberries are ebil cousins. The master root of the raspberry is about 6' under the dirt. Blackberries are closer to the top but are sonsabitches to get. They branch out and sprout up wherever they can. They're dandelions of berry family.

You CAN use a chemical (forget name) that goes onto the raw surface area of the root, and it will work back from that to the master plant. Personally I just like cutting the old canes down and letting the yearlings produce. I manually will do the roots- where I'm at isn't really super infested.
                            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

What about black caps? I want some of those, thanks to fond memories of the rampant black cap bushes my parents had at the borders of their property when I was a kid.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
                                And there goes the garden. Seriously every place the vine touches ground it will root and start another one. And they will run under sidewalks, up the walls of the house, and we even have one that forced its way through the basement window and tried to crawl across the ceiling.
                                Yikes. Who'd think that such delicious fruit comes from such an evil plant?

Is it at all possible to grow a blackberry bush without it taking over the place like Audrey II? In a large pot, perhaps?
                                Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                                What about black caps? I want some of those, thanks to fond memories of the rampant black cap bushes my parents had at the borders of their property when I was a kid.
                                Never heard of black cap bushes. I tried to Google it and it gave me the Bush Blackcap, a cute little bird, but probably not what you had in mind.
                                Last edited by XCashier; 04-15-2012, 04:48 AM.
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X