X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS this?

Hey guys

What is this? Do you eat the root? Stem? Leaves? I'm almost convinced it's flat leaf parsley...
    Attached Files
    The report button - not just for decoration

Maybe it's me, but it looks like celery
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Looks like celery to me.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Yah, Celery is my guess. Probably young, or an unusual version.

Parsley leaves grow in 3s, and sorta split in 3s also.

As for the Celery, I would be curious, you probably can eat the root ball as celery root is a thing...

Comment

I'm thinking maybe slice that root ball up and roast/grill it...

Comment

Looks to thin to be celery, to thick to be celery or cilantro, but the leaves look more like cilantro than parsley to me. But I have never seen that kind of bulb on the end of cilantro or parsley, so....got me!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, I popped some of the leaves into a veggie soup that I'm making - and it tastes pretty good! (serving with home made buns, thank you very much! )
              Tomorrow I'm making grilled veggies, so I'll play with the bulb then...

(background: I get an organic veggie box once a week. It's a lucky dip and I've yet to be disappointed).

Comment

You are right in it being celery. The bottom part is the root of the plant and the stalks you normally buy are cut from it so more can grow.

Good Eats has a full episode on celery, root included. (you can even turn the root into a substitute mashed potatoes. )
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Thanking you muchly!

Comment

Looks like celeriac
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

It's celeriac. You eat it, supposedly it tastes like celery. That's pretty much all I got.

I've never used it, so I can't advise you on it, but I am sure you can look it up and find more info than I just gave you.

Comment

Yup, celeriac. Basically a variety of celery. The whole thing, from root bulb to leaves is edible.
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                          Yup, celeriac. Basically a variety of celery. The whole thing, from root bulb to leaves is edible.
                          That's what it looks like to me as well. I once served it cubed and roasted with parsnips and carrots.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I got turnips and carrots (and patty pans) with the veggies. As well as beets. Good variety for a roast veg??

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                              I got turnips and carrots (and patty pans) with the veggies. As well as beets. Good variety for a roast veg??
                              Any variety is a good variety for roasted veggies as far as I care.

Admittedly, turnips and carrots (and potatoes) == pot roast veggies in my mind, but for all I know, that's just the way my mum always made it.

Comment

Working...
                              X