This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Clementine Limberdark

So I lost my first RPG character last night. We're playing Lamentations of the Flame Princess, which is like a weirder, grosser D&D (seriously, there's a campaign-level monster called The Time Fucker) and it was my first RPG. Clem was a halfling. Husband was an elf, which in this universe is like a demon from some horrible hell dimension. For my first RPG our GM chose The Grinding Gear, which is popularly called a 'fuck you dungeon'.

Anyway, after narrowly escaping green slime, a giant face-eating spider, and venomous centipedes, I fell and knocked myself out running from something called a gelatinous cube. I then had negative HP, which I didn't know was possible, but I was out for a full day and Sarin the demon elf had to carry my ass around a while. Sarin and Clash Nemesis came upon a series of puzzles that referenced some stuff that had happened before, and if you got the answer wrong your butt got electrocuted. Well, they got one wrong. BZZZZZT! Dead halfling. They survived, the bastards, but at least the other female party member got iced by poison gas, so we commiserated.

So who else remembers how your first RPG character bit the dust?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I was playing a dragon...I said "Bring it." to a dead bone dragon... My scales got plastered over a mountain chain.

Comment

I was a first level wizard. Wizards have the effective armor of paper..very thin paper. I was out of spells, and the group was being chased by a bunch of ogres in a tunnel. I turned around, blocked the tunnel so the group could escape..and shouted "For Illiana!" (the queen of the elves at the time). I died quiet quickly and painfully.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

RA, a martial artist in a Matrix game we were running in Hero. He was helping the party escape some Agents when he they caught up to him. No glitch to have his life.
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I have only ever legitimately lost one character in a PnP RPG (a lot of my GMs were either monty haul or very, very good at keeping the characters alive), and that was because the rest of the party sacrificed me because I had a disadvantage that made people mistake me for another member of the party. >_< The GM (one of the really good ones) made a point to really screw the rest of the group over for having done that, but not in a way that they could complain about.

I had a non-legitimate death in another RPG where me and another party member opened a door and got taken out pretty much on the spot by a poison gas trap. Considering that was in the first hour of the beginning of a campaign with another of the good GMs, I knew it wouldn't be a permanent thing, but the other player had to be a complete rules-lawyering douchebag over being dead that the GM came right out and told him that he'd be not-dead in the near future and he still had to bitch and whine and rules-lawyer over it to the point that the entire gaming group fell apart.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My first character ever was only played at 1 gencon, and didn't die. My second character came close to dying a few times but never did. My third character did end up dying unfairly. [halfling assassin, rolled natural 20s twice in a row, attempt to backstab a frost giant succeeded, result roll critted 20 so dead frost giant. Then the damned idiot GM 'noticed' I was a halfling and said it was impossible, so he decided the damed giant fell backwards and squsshed me to death. Mainly because the idiot was not paying attention and I shouldn't have been allowed to backstab something I was less than knee high on. Last game I played with that idiot.]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I was playing some warrior named Wright J'or. He got killed rather quickly. It was a 6-man dungeon and he was trying to solo it-- at level 1.

Now, the trick here is that the game was called Wizardry and released in 1982!

I might've played Atari 2600's Adventure earlier, but that only qualifies as an Action RPG, and the little square doesn't have a name that I know of. The ducks got him.
              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Took on a Death Knight in D&D with a pair of semi-sentient swords.

Of course, The background is that this group was trying to get rid of me and I was sick of it so I left and they just had to run up to me later and tell me how my character died. Big loss. I would have never been able to take it into another game anyways due to the level of rule bending.

As for the first one I actively attended was in a Dark Sun campaign that started off in an arena match and I was playing a Thri-kreen. We were just goofing off and I was going head on to a giant at level one. I splatted pretty quick.

I have extremely few incidents of death as the group I was originally with taught me very quickly to NOT DIE!
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                X