Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um... don't try to remove the power supply cover without turning off and unplugging it.

Short form: The fan in the power supply went out and I replaced it. Put everything back together, switched it on, realized I'd put the fan in backwards. Shut it down, opened the case, and went to to open the power supply. Huge arc of electricity (thank goodness for insulated screwdrivers), totally fried the power supply. No other damage, thankfully.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm personally surprised that you opened the PS yourself. That's pretty dangerous.
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

Yeah, I know. I wouldn't open up a power supply case these days. They're inexpensive enough to just replace, although it's a shame to toss a perfectly good power supply just because the fan has gone out.

I figured out eventually that Shameless (my ex) was incredibly cheap when it came to my computer. His always got new components, but mine always got hand-me-downs. The power supply in question was one of those. But he had to get me a new one when I fried the old one.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Ms. Pounce View Post
          I learned the hard way --- make sure the power supply is turned on. Talk about embarassing.
          I had the power supply on, but while it was connected to all the drives, I had forgotten to plug it into the motherboard. However, I realized it quickly once I tried to turn on the machine and nothing happened.

Another time, I did something that wasn't as easy to figure out. I turned on the computer, and everything worked wonderfully, except that it wasn't reading CDs or even displaying the drive. I didn't think anything was wrong with the drive, because the light came on, and it opened and closed when I pressed the button. Finally figured out that I had remembered to connect the drives to the power supply, but forgot to connect them to the motherboard.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
          X