X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NFL franchise: the SCs

The background:

Big Cable has been having a dispute with the NFL over carriage of the NFL Network. It's a long story, but the NFL Network offers 8 live games a year... and they want the network on basic cable, where they can extract between 55 cents and $1.00 a month for every subscriber. Meanwhile, cable wants the network on a digital sports package... frankly, outside of those eight games, it's not a very interesting channel to anyone who isn't ultra-hardcore. (It's a lot more complicated than that... but it all boils down to this... How can you tell the NFL Commissioner is lying? When he says, "We care about our fans.")

At any rate, we used to carry the NFL Network on our regular digital package because, at the time, it was cheap. With the dramatic price increase, we didn't want to raise the price of digital $1 a month for everybody, so we moved it to the $5 a month Sports Package -- those who want it can pay for it.

Whether or not that's good or fair or just isn't the point of the post.

The story:

The NFL has a email list of subscribers who are churned up about this. So, the NFL sent them a mailing, directing them on what to do.

Had they said, "Call and let the cable company know you'd like to have it back on digital," it would be okay. Astroturf campaigns are part of cable's legacy, dating back to the "I want my MTV!" campaign in the 80's.

Instead, the NFL directed people to:

1. Demand we move the channel back to digital.
    2. Ask for a "rebate" on digital service for losing a channel. [A channel that cost either 5 or 10 cents a month when we originally agreed to carry it].
    3. Threaten to cancel and get Dish or DirecTV.

Those three things alone do not make a cable SC... but they're the basics. It's kind of like handing someone a match, a fuse, and an explosive and telling them to "go have some fun."

The bottom line is that we haven't heard from many customers... but the ones we have heard from are... um... special. I've only seen email letters, and almost of all them use punctuation and caps with abandon... "I INSIST this be CHANGED!! It MUST be CHANGED now!!! Are you LISTENING?!?!?!?!" [Wow... a quadruple interrobang... the true sign of The Man Who Must Be Taken Seriously.]

Then there are the people who think that years of watching television 17 hours a day make them experts on the cable business... "You will be BANKRUPT within a YEAR!!!! YOU will be OUT of a JOB!!!!!"

And then there was the guy who compared the whole thing to the Cold War, with the cable company as the USSR, cable employees as apparatchiks, the NFL as Ronald Reagan and the subscribers as... who knows? But the time he got to them, even he was unable to figure out just what point he was making.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

While I don't actually have anything to add to a discussion here, I just want to say you are now the sexiest person I know. Why?

You said interrobang.

*huggles*

Comment

Well that explains all the calls I was getting from OUTRAGED NFL Network viewers.

The funny part is other than the couple of games a season they air now, NO ONE watches the NFL Network. Seriously, if the channel disappeared from March to July, no one would even realize it. They're trying to pull what ESPN does, they charge the most of any channel because they know they have companies by the short and curlies since losing ESPN would cost tons of subscribers. Of course ESPN also has the near 30 year history that justifies the expense, not just a guy in a suit saying "pay this amount".

It's also funny how the same people who wail about cable being astronomical also wail when the cable companies take a stand against someone trying to gouge them (and customers) out of money. You literally can't win, no matter what you're the bad guy from the Evil Cable Empire.

By the way, a little ProTip for the NFL (and anyone else who plays the "I'm going to *competitor* card): We're on to that trick. If you're especially irritating we might even give you their phone number.
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. That way, people like me who don't give a flying frak about football aren't forced to pay for some dink to watch a football game from 5 years ago.
        Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
        ~Oscar Wilde

Comment

If those irate football fanatics threaten to cancel, call their bluff. Buh-bye, see ya. There's nowhere near enough of them to make much of a difference.

As for the games themselves--if it's their local team playing, the game will be shown on a local broadcast station anyway. I think there's a rule requiring that.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            As for the games themselves--if it's their local team playing, the game will be shown on a local broadcast station anyway. I think there's a rule requiring that.
            That'd be nice, as we used to get blackouts for local football games, and my dad would WHINE about it. GAH. Sorry, dad, but it's a freaking football game. I don't care, watch something else.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

My family would do the opposite. We'd whine when a game would run long, into a show with an actual plot, and writing... still featuring overpaid celebrities with endorsement deals, but without leather balls and with more enunciation.

And no sportscasters. "Well, you see, now that they have the ball? They're going to try and score some points. That's the smart move at this point."

So my family's favorite team was always the clock.
              There is no .sig that still seems clever 50 posts later.

Comment

and I love all those people threatening to go to Dish or DirecTv.

Hey folks, my little store also sells both those things. They are no cheaper than cable. And, unless you are new to the service, or the equipment is included as part of a package deal- that shit is hella expensive!
                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Yeah, but they've done a good job convincing folks they're cheaper than cable (the "don't feed the cable pig" ads come to mind) yet when there's a new DVR unit out, we don't make everyone pay hundreds of dollars or lock them into contracts.
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                    Yeah, but they've done a good job convincing folks they're cheaper than cable (the "don't feed the cable pig" ads come to mind) yet when there's a new DVR unit out, we don't make everyone pay hundreds of dollars or lock them into contracts.
                    Don't get me started on satellite. I've worked for two of them (one that no longer exists). Those were horrible days:

Customer: I want to subscribe!
                    Me: Are you sure?
                    Customer: Yes!
                    Me: Are you really, really sure?
                    Customer: Yes!
                    Me: You know, I suggest you think about it for awhile and make sure this is really, really, really what you want to do.

It's the closest I'll ever come to being a prostitute.
                    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Slightly

Does anyone know where you can get live streaming of NFL games online? I live in New Zealand and we only get 2 games a week on satellite, it never seems to be the games I really want to watch.
                      "I'm trying to manufacture sincerity." - Simon (Teachers)
                      "Ok, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" - Chandler (Friends)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

If the local tream is playing an away game NFL rules state that it has to be made available on free tv. If the local team is at home then It has to be show if the game sells out at least 72 hrs before kickoff
                        I have Dish Network I watch and enjoy NFL network year round. They could lose Rich Eisen though
                        The Pens 2009 Stanley Cup Champs

Listen to some Steely Dan Tonight its good for Ya

Il Son Patie

Comment

Quoth uknz76 View Post
                          Slightly

Does anyone know where you can get live streaming of NFL games online? I live in New Zealand and we only get 2 games a week on satellite, it never seems to be the games I really want to watch.
                          I'm pretty sure there isn't such a thing... because if there was, I'd be a subscriber. Where I live, I rarely get to see the Giants.

Comment

I'm glad that your company switched the NFL channel over to a special pay section. It's too expensive for what is essentially a niche market (even a large niche) especially when the big games are always group viewing events.

re: Cable vs Satellite

When I switched to Satellite, I did the math, checked the differences, and never looked back.

I ended up paying $30 less per month to get about twice the channels (not including all the music stuff) and suffer many, many fewer outages. Plus, the customer service for DriectTV was outstanding, and the customer service for Charter sucked like a black hole.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth uknz76 View Post
                              Slightly

Hmmmm i don't know about where you are, but i use to have an international sports plan (i like austrialian football) and i know there are some plans that you can buy games played by a certain team... but still might all be american.

Comment

Working...
                              X