X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i feel off a step stool at work

Boy i hate heights.

At JITB they are doing their march donation thing where you can donate $1 or $5, get your name on a shamrock (or a name..... as we have scoobert (scooby-doos real name) sailor moon and pals, mike Wazowski, buzz and woody and johnny bravo on the wall with others) and a coupon.

Despite being the smallest store in a boring town we do have a very high military presence here. Which leads to us having alot of guys willing to fork over a dollar to the nice girl smiling at them over the counter. Which has lead us to be the leader in donations in the district/area which includes all the Tuscon locations are well.

Because we are the leaders we are expected to show pride in that and instead of hanging a few up for people to see we have to put them allllllllllllllllll up.

Which leads me to Tuesday night.
    When i get to work its obvious no one has put any up since i left on sunday. Not surprising as the only people willing to do anything not behind the counter seems to be me, T a new girl and the manager (to be fair B and G will clean and stock in the lobby and take out the trash and that stuff, the prep dude does maintence and the grill people can't really leave the grill area but that doesnt mean the team leads should ignore the lobby stocking and all that).

So we get to the point where we are clean, comfortably-if all the bar suddenly let out and we got hit we wont be screaming and running- stocked and prep, and G is taking care of the yogurt and ice cream machines while the grill cook is doing dishes so i grab the shamrocks, the tape and the stepstool.

Now it is well know among us, particularly those among us who work nights, that the bottom step wobbles/rocks. Since I keep having nightmares lately where I fall and break my right arm and can barely do anything because my left hand has a weakened grip and still suffers from nerve damage i jokely say to G who is the PIC sense the TM decided to leave 3 hours early that if she hears a crash call 911. I really only need it to put a few over the one door that for some reason doesn't have any over it while all the others do (sliceys brain can not handle this imbalance) and to be able to lean over a our window seating counter.

I put up about 12 on the window and go to the dead corner to put up another 10 there (called the dead corner because it is the one place in the whole store that you can not see from the reflection from a mirror or on camara and leads straight to the bathrooms which lock once the doors close. I point out to G that someone could stab you right as you where opening the door into the bathroom, shove you in, drop the key in with you and close the door to leave you to bleed out and we wouldn't know until someone came to get the key and we couldn't find it so we had to get the spare or blood pooled under the door. She thanked me for making her 2 hours with only 2 people to handle drive and lobby at night creepier).
    I put up 3 or so, step down, more the stool, put up 3 or more step down move the stool, put up 3 more step down move the stool to put one more in a corner to make it more of a straight line. Now while i put up the shamrocks i hold on to the support bar and make sure i lean forward so any imbalance is forced on the most secure point. Like i said i hate heights and did not like this step stool.
    I get the last one up, have about 10 more left but lack sufficant height to put any more up where i am so i stick them in my pocket and move to step down.

as i step down the bottom step rocks beneath me and causes me to lose my balance. I wind up on the floor with the stool on me as my foot hooked on the way down.

Now of course as i do this G is in the back doing some dishes and some prep to be extra prepared so no one hear this. After trying to get up by myself but having an issue doing so because my back of course hurts, i hit the button on my head set that lets me say something to the other people wearing one.
    and politely ask G to come upfront and give me a hand.

she opens the door and is shocked when she sees me on the floor. We get me up i finish my shamrocks, tell the boss, write a incident report and the manager is surprised that the bottom step is rocky. Which causes G to pfft because everyone who uses it knows this so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I wasn't really hurt just a bit bumped and some tylenol pm and a good nights sleep and i was good. well as good as i can be after a full dose of tylenol pm.... i wound up sleeping until like 1 pm with a brief intermission to drive someone cause im drug senstive and it stayed in my system that long.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post

Which causes G to pfft because everyone who uses it knows this so it shouldn't be a surprise.
    Wow, way to go G on practically admitting an OSHA violation.

Comment

yeah small store hanging on by the skin of our teeth if you believe the manager (but according to everyone else once we get past Grub, TM-O-Fail, and W who seems to hate women...... we have the best of just about everything for the area which again includes tucson) manager just fired the 2 new guys but ignores TM-O-Fail leaving hours early and having a hard time with rushes (i cant really fault her to much here she does have some minor development issues but seriously she needs to let us help her bag and stuff as she insists on running drive); grub and his insenstive, cell phone using at all times even when hes on the fryer and is in his food safe gloves that are suppose to only touch food then be tossed, ignores the lobby, stocking, dishes, prep..... every thing , hell he even complains about the time being high when its high because for the first 3 minutes of an order he is texting when he should be making tacos.... and the manager having a trial by fire approach to training.

as for grub im just happy his insulting behavior seems reserved towards drunks and people who come through high. If he started expanding to something more likely to piss me off we would have a bigger issue.

Comment

Sorry about your accident! Just as a side note I have a weakened grip in my left hand from nerve damage as well and know what that's like.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

One of the reasons I'm really a nag about talking co-workers out of working alone is having a team member fall off the bottom step of a step ladder and break _both_ wrists. Admittedly he was a major klutz, but anyone can be unlucky.

I'm glad your fall was minor.

Comment

yeah for me to have someone working with me to prevent accidents, one the tm would have had to not have left 3 hours early and 2 there would have had to have been more than 3 people, yes this leads back to the tm leaving 3 hours early but she tends to bare bones us after 4pm, before the dinner rush and the bar runs. its really really fun to have a big line up in the drive with a large drunk orders and having only 3 people.

Comment

I refuse to change light bulbs unless someone is working with me. It's gallery-style track lighting, and requires using a 12' ladder.

Comment

Working...
              X