This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice, Ice Follies

We've been hit not once but twice this week with sleet/feezing rain. First incident was Tuesday morning - temps in the 20's and roads are slick and dangerous. SO couldn't get out of his driveway to pick me up so I could get to work (and my Mom wasn't able to get out in it either) so I had to call out. Also, our house was freezing due to no power and the temporary generator we had wouldn't crank on when my brother went out around 4:30 to get it started (another story altogether that I'll share later.)

Second incident was Thursday night/Friday morning . . . forecast was only for maybe a quarter inch of ice with 1-3 inches of snow included.

Boy did we get hit . . . Friday morning when I got up, we had more ice than expected. Roads are again a mess. SO called back around 5:45 saying he couldn't quite make it up the hill (his road is a dead end private road off a main road and it's hilly.)

I'm on my way to the bathroom, so I tell him I'll call him back in a few. Call Daria to see if she could swing by on her way to drop off Little Man (her 2 yr old) at the sitter's (she has to go by my house anyways) and pick me up. Unfortunately, Daria was trapped with trees down everywhere and her power was flickering - she'd already called Gump and let him know that she couldn't make it.

So, after telling Mom what's up, I sent a text to Gump letting him know I couldn't get a way out to get to work.

No sooner do I do that, SO calls back and he's already half way to my house. Sent another text back to Gump letting him know I'll be there shortly.

Get to work at 7 - Gump and Tina are the only ones there. No one in Produce - no one in Deli - even our opening office person and cashier were not there (Mouth Almighty was scheduled as opening cashier - she'd called out too.) Dairy Guy and Butthead were not seen either (Dairy Guy made it in a little bit later though.)

By 8, the perishable truck had pulled in (or rather slid into the dock) and Gump was still running register while I was finishing up with the 3 day sale signs and activating the daily price changes (Ma had called out as well.) So who gets called up front to get her choice of a) running the register or b) unloading the perishable truck?

Considering I've got a lower back full of slipped discs and Sciatica, that choice shouldn't have been rocket science . . .I sent Gump to the back room with Tina to deal with the truck and I stayed up front to harrass check out the customers. Luckily they were pretty good sports about it.

Becky made it in around 9, our office person not long afterward (she'd gotten stuck and her mom came to rescue her and bring her in.) Becky wanted to get a quick smoke before she clocked in and took over up front, so I told her to go ahead and I'll get one after she gets clocked in and settled. Also, one stocker came in around the time the truck came in, and that was all we had on hand.

Few minutes later, Becky was settled in on the Express Lane, I made one quick sign for the frozen seafood (daily price change and on display in the bunker case - so needed to make new sign) hung that and slipped out my back door by my desk for a quickie (smoke, that is - get yer minds outta the gutter)

Spent most of the day either walking the vendor sections, checking the cigarette counts and pulling dates and scanning out the reclaim. And anytime I was near a phone, answering it and 9 out of 10 calls were "Are you open?"

At one point, I told the office girl if I had a dollar for every call I've answered and it was someone wanting to know if we were open, I could pay next month's electric bill.

Got a phone call from Spanky (my Budweiser salesman) mid morning - my old store (5 minutes down the road) had lost power. Saw Naitch's parents a little bit later - Naitch's store had lost power a short time ago as well (tree fell on US 29 near the exit, so that may have been a partial cause.)

Took a lunch break and sat down in the breakroom for a bit to rest and catch up on news on my phone (power outages galore due to the storm.)

Got back to work, checked on a bread vendor that had come in to bring emergency loaves, went back to checking dates.

Gump looked disgusted around 2 when he came down the aisle I was working on. Turned out Becky had to leave by 2 and the more people he called to come in, the more they said no. He had someone scheduled at 3 to come in but wasn't sure if they were actually coming so could I go up front and help out Rochelle and Kitty?

By this time, Tina had left around 11:30 so that left us with no coverage in Market, we had no one to run Deli (it was closed) and nobody in Produce (their pallets were sitting in the cooler all day) and Butthead didn't make it in to work the Frozen Food (pallets sitting in the freezer.)

I went up front at 2 after wrapping up the dates and stayed on a register until right after 3 - SO was waiting out front in the truck and I had a few things to get for Mom, so I flagged down Gump and asked if the 3pm person was coming in b/c my ride was already outside.

He took the register, I went to the back, having to fight through the lines that had grown over the last hour all over the front, got my stuff, clocked out and grabbed what little was needed and spent the next several minutes in the long lines (by this time Rochelle had closed off her register and went to take over for Gump so he could finish department walks.)

And no deliveries came Friday, and I was short a few hours since missing Tuesday so I went in this morning at 7.

Aside from my SO slipping and falling in the parking lot while trying to walk me in (he's okay - a little sore but no broken bones) we at least had a couple more bodies this morning than we had all of yesterday.

Gump opened again . . . Market Manager came in, and one of the other office girls came in, along with Princess to open the store. Baby Beavis and Missy both came in to get Produce back in shape, Butthead and Dairy Guy both came in and stockers started pouring in. Daria made it in around 7:30 or so (she called me right after I'd gotten in the parking lot to see if we had power still) and Mouth Almighty made it in a short time later.

Front end was a mess - according to Gump, the lines were nonstop until we closed at 10 (Corporate didn't allow us to close early) and Rochelle and Kitty ended up staying until close b/c not one person came in - even Pidge called out (she was scheduled as closing MOD and lives a couple of blocks from SO but she couldn't get out???) Gump got out right before 8:30 and made it home right after 9 (he doesn't drive so he walked almost an hour in the snow and ice) had his 3 Bud Lights, some dinner and went to bed since he had to open again this morning. I stayed up front for a few to help Princess by cleaning off the belts and scanners on all registers while she gathered up trash and swept out behind the kiosk and Gump gathered all the loose into a cart to be put up later.

Pepsi truck slid into the dock around 8 (told Lee Jr. he should've put skis on the wheels) and got almost 5 pallets that we needed yesterday but couldn't get (including a whole pallet of Aquafina water, which we can't keep on the shelf b/c the current planogram cut the space back to one facing and it's 2 deep and 2 tall - so only 4 can go on the shelf at a time and half the time it's on sale, but I digress) and most of the other guys I see on Friday made it in (didn't get any donuts so I guess I'll get those Monday.)

Scanned the Newports to see what the count on hand was looking like, worked 2 totes of cigarettes and 2 totes of candy in between, scanned out reclaim and walked sections and tried to replenish.

Stayed until 2 and didn't get a chance to finish up with the dates for the week but that'll just have to be dealt with next week.

And if you're wondering where our store manager was? Young Grasshopper had scheduled himself off both yesterday and today. Not sure if he couldn't get out from his driveway but he basically left Gump to deal with this mess by himself.

Hurry the Hell up and warm up outside already!!! I'm sick of cold, I'm sick of ice and I don't want to take it anymore!!!!
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    Hurry the Hell up and warm up outside already!!! I'm sick of cold, I'm sick of ice and I don't want to take it anymore!!!!
    Checked the local paper, and in the 7 day forecast at least half are showing expected high temperatures above zero (we use the metric system) - have you considered moving to Canuckistan where it's warm?

Memo for next year: equipment for Groundhog Day includes a 12 gauge. If that #$%^& critter predicts 6 more weeks for winter, it's his last prediction.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I didnt get to call in during this last winter escapade. I had to spend the night at work because I couldnt get out.

Comment

We managed to duck that one. All we got was rain.

At least you got some warm weather (60F) this weekend to thaw out.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Ug, hope there aren't any longer term issues with the slip on the ice!

I turned one of my old canes into an ice case for roomie - slipped off the rubber tip and used a dremel with a cutting wheel on it to cut jags into the bottom edge so it grabs the ice. She can slip the rubber tip on it for storing the cane. I have ice spikes for my folding crutch set.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            Ug, hope there aren't any longer term issues with the slip on the ice!

I turned one of my old canes into an ice case for roomie - slipped off the rubber tip and used a dremel with a cutting wheel on it to cut jags into the bottom edge so it grabs the ice. She can slip the rubber tip on it for storing the cane. I have ice spikes for my folding crutch set.
            This is a great idea! I'll have to tell Evil Empryss. She could use this.

DGoddess: I'm surprised Corporate didn't let you shut down given that the roads froze over into a solid sheet of ice Friday night.

Hell, I'm simply surprised that ANYONE was open on Friday, given how bad the weather was and the fact pretty much EVERYONE in our area lost power.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The converted cane is also extremely useful for dealing with problem SCs-a quick poke or two with that and they'll behave themselves
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                I turned one of my old canes into an ice case for roomie - slipped off the rubber tip and used a dremel with a cutting wheel on it to cut jags into the bottom edge so it grabs the ice.
                I've seen (long ago, can't recall where) a gizmo that bolts to the bottom of a cane (bolts are on a clamp that's part of the gizmo, so it doesn't damage the cane). It's got a hinged thing with "teeth" - flip it up and the original rubber cane tip is exposed, flip it down and the rubber tip is sitting on the thing with "teeth" so it's an ice cane.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  We managed to duck that one. All we got was rain.

At least you got some warm weather (60F) this weekend to thaw out.
                  It's already in the mid 60s now . . . most of the snow out here has gone, save for a few large mounds that formed when the road was scraped.

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

DGoddess: I'm surprised Corporate didn't let you shut down given that the roads froze over into a solid sheet of ice Friday night.

Hell, I'm simply surprised that ANYONE was open on Friday, given how bad the weather was and the fact pretty much EVERYONE in our area lost power.
                  When we had the last storm 2 or 3 weeks ago now, Corporate let us close that Wednesday at 5, as road conditions had deteriorated so bad so quickly. On Thursday they didn't open until 8 and closed up around 4 or 5 - Friday we opened at 8 but closed regular time.

So your guess as to why that wasn't done this past Friday is as good as mine.

As far as the power outages go: just checked with local channel 8 news app and we have just in Guilford County a little over 55,000 still without power as of 2:30 this afternoon. One of my cousins just posted on FB about an hour ago that she got hers back on. But Electric Company is still giving out the 11pm Wednesday evening time AFAIK.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I know the ice tip you're talking about, the flip down claw with clamp. It's made by Hugo, www.hugoanywhere.com. Nice little item, runs like $9. IIRC, they call it the Ice-O-grip.

Comment

I got a portable generator in January 2010 for JUST this reason. NC has a tendency to ice instead of snow at times, and that just has a way of pulling down power lines like nobody's business. We got lucky here south of Wake county as well with it just being rain this time around.
                      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                      And it's not what I wanted to be
                      The weight on me
                      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Anyone who is smart (and has the money, of course) has a generator where I live. We've had more power outages this past year than we've had my entire life. We even had one that was worse than the power outage of '03. (We were out for almost a week.) Thanks to power outages my aunts spent Christmas with us (the few days before up to the day of), because we were the only ones that had power. (And we had no idea how, as usually we're the first to go out.)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          the temporary generator we had wouldn't crank on when my brother went out around 4:30 to get it started (another story altogether that I'll share later.
                          What's the story about the non-working generator? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Could be that it lost the magnetic field and needs to be hit with some juice before it will flash a field. We have to do it with the smaller of the 2 we have if we don't crank it over every month for at least 15 minutes. Larger one can go 2 to 3 months. You can frequently find instructions on flashing a field online for common brands of generators.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I will save that tale for Off Topic (or better yet, Fratching, as this involves Big Energy Company.)

It did turn out to be that my brother didn't think to push in the choke as he was turning it on. So we were able to get it back on, but not being able to use the hot water heater, the stove or washer and dryer was a pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X