This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And it happens AGAIN! No show, no call

Different staff member this time and one we never expected because this staff member always said "its very unprofessional to no show no call, if I'm going to quit, I'll give you notice". Calls from us was never answered, neither were text messages. On the third call, the agent shut their phone off.

Wth? We pay fairly well for our city, and we will inconvenience ourselves to cover for staff that need time off, we buy the staff lunch/dinner at least once every couple weeks, and more.

Really getting sick of this. Between the two of us, in the last six weeks, my husband has worked 6 days 3 weeks, and I have worked 6 days 3 weeks. We're TIRED.

We can't keep this level up. We really want to go on vacation for a week but can't even leave for two days without stupid crap from the employees.

And the thing is... the last one was over Mardi Gras and that staff member no longer works for us so apparently the staff learned nothing from last time.
    Last edited by Moirae; 04-06-2014, 09:47 PM.

You aren't being 'worked over' by someone are you? As in someone who wants you to fail and is offering staff members bribes to leave you?
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
      You aren't being 'worked over' by someone are you? As in someone who wants you to fail and is offering staff members bribes to leave you?
      Never heard of that before, Gizmo. Wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

I have to ask, though:

If this is Moirae's (or Moirae's husband's) business, is there a "no show no call no job" policy? If that's the case, if the person comes back, just tell them that they no longer have a job, and a replacement has already been hired.

In the time I worked in food service (and I think this is common in most positions), one of the things I learned is that the more you let it happen, the more it will happen.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I know when I was a welder in Alberta. Shops would always poach workers. $1-2 an hour raises. Little perks here and there just to grab employees.

Are you guys in a competitive business in your area?

Comment

Moirae: From what you have mentioned about some of these winners before, I was hoping that only the people who refuse to listen would be leaving. For the good worker who left -- yeah, it sounds fishy. Maybe she's a friend of one of the people who split; the lack of communication makes it sound like she has a reason for not contacting you back. Maybe she got another job, or was convinced by some of the bads that they were in the right...?

In answer to the last two: Moirae works at a hotel in the New Orleans area (mentioned in some other posts), hence the Mardi Gras reference -- insanely busy time for the HRT industry, basically their "other" Black Friday season that comes close on the heels of the ACTUAL BF/XMAS season. mjr: Louisiana is an At-Will state, so no policy is likely required. Pimento: I would say so, yes ^_^
          Last edited by EricKei; 04-07-2014, 05:30 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I would love to have a job right now...why would you screw it up like this? I never understand that.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Sounds like other hotels poaching employees during the busy times to me. I'd imagine once you've worked in the industry so long it becomes a "closed circle" of players who contact each other off the books.

Though the few bucks an hour usually means management that's not half as attentive as you and after the rush they'll probably be out on their rears

Comment

Working...
              X