Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayflower 2020...Here's where it all began 400 years ago...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayflower 2020...Here's where it all began 400 years ago...

About from an hour from me is Plymouth-last time I was down visiting I found

This amazing little garden

which stands on the site where the Pilgrim Fathers gathered to hop onto the Mayflower. Exactly 400 years before I was standing there, they would be gathered to wave goodbye forever to friends and family and disappear off for a new life...

This placard shows all their names and occupations-104 in total including two new arrivals en route and one departure en route(rather unfortunately it was the servant to the ship's surgeon ) and some ended up missing a name but just being described as a wife or son

It appears that the servant girl to one group was the sister of the servant boy to another. The Brewsters went for odd names with their children being called Love and Wrasling, whilst the Allertons had a funny turn midway and decided to call one child Mary after her mother whilst the second got lumbered with Remember.

Interesting selection of professions- the two mariners and two sailors would have been handy and a sailmaker to get them there.

The wool carder,cloth maker,linen weaver, tailor,fustian seller(a type of cloth) and camlet maker(a fabric of goat's hair) would all have banded together to make sure they were well clothed for landing.

On arrival,the sawyer and carpenter could knock up a couple of houses for them and the printer-well someone has to make sure the postcards get sent back to make sure they know you arrived safely and are having a wonderful time...

As for the silk maker, well a nice pair of underwear wouldn't got amiss...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.
Working...
X