This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving with Kids

In July we are moving to another state for my husband's job. It's about 5 hours away from one set of parents and 6 from the other, as opposed to 2 and 4 now, but I'm not really worried about that as the grandparents will visit as much as possible, call, Skype, etc.

I have two kids. The little one is 3, I'm not so worried about him as he won't even be starting preschool until after we move and he's too young right now to really have particular friends so he won't be leaving his BFFs or anything. He's also a pretty chill little guy. I think he'll be fine.

It's the 8-year-old that concerns me. He's not great with change, and a bit of introvert so it took him a long time to really make friends. Now he has 2 boys he's close to and he's upset about leaving them and starting over somewhere new.

We've been very upbeat about the entire situation and how it will improve our lives- financially, and Dad not having to work 60-70 hours a week since he'll be the boss now (he's a biochemist finally leaving his postdoc for his own lab). We've looked at all the fun activities in the area and made lists of what we want to do. We are taking him out of school tomorrow and Friday so we can go to the new city, visit his new school, get a tour and sit in on classes, and hopefully meet the teachers and some of the kids who will be in his class next year (it's a very small school, which could be good or bad. We'll have to see). We're also going to scope out neighborhoods and look at a few houses- we want his input on our new house as well.

He has a blog and I plan to set him up with an email address so he can keep in contact with his friends here, and so they can coordinate to play Roblox or Minecraft together if they want. We've watched a few movies lately where kids move and are unhappy but end up making friends and having adventures etc. His birthday is in August but we are having his party early so he can have his current friends there.

We've emphasized that we're all leaving a lot behind but it's best for our family and the kids are foremost in our decisions (husband has been working toward this for 15 years, and we've been quite poor all that time, so this is a big step up). We told him it's okay to be scared and worried and angry but to try to have an open mind. Is there anything else I can do to make this as easy as possible? I know kids move all the time, but it's my son, you know? I want him to be okay.
    Last edited by AnaKhouri; 04-25-2018, 10:45 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I know kids in my family now keep in much closer touch when they move schools and/or houses. I would see about setting up skype/facetime with the current friends now. We live in an area that has no public transportation and my niece and nephew sometimes play with friends over Facetime (set up board games play them will talking)

Check out summer programs based on your son's interests. YOu mentioned minecraft - minecraft coding camps are popular here. The school might know of some, if they send out fliers through the schools. The thing about hobby/interests based summer programs is that the kids tend to be new to each other and they have something in common.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately a lot of the stuff he is interested in (coding and game design,) they only do camps for middle-school and up, but I will poke around. Where we are moving is not so far from where NASA runs a Space Camp, do he is already excited for that next summer.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
      X