This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing sound...

I'm thinking that something is going bad but...I'm hoping not.

So I go to play WoW and it looks like Mom deleted it off the computer. A big sigh and five hours of downloading later with all the updates and I go to play it and have no sound. So I try to exit the game to check and make sure I had un muted it from earlier. Everything freezes.

So giving it five minuets, just to make sure that yes it's frozen, grumbling and doing a power button restart I wait for the fan to completely stop and give it a count to 15 before I turn it back on. It sits at the Windows screen for ten minuets before I sigh and try it again. This time everything comes up nicely. Check the sound and it works. Go to start up WoW and...no sound.

Okay fine, rinse lather and repeat three times. Now I have no sound at all and I really don't want to tell Mom I busted her brand new sound card after it being in the computer for two weeks.

Any ideas?

sounds like you may need to reinstall the sound card drivers..

However, if you mom removed WoW and now you're trying to put it back on there... are you supposed to be playing it in the first place? :P

is it a new computer? or just a new sound card? if it's a new computer, then having to power it down and restarting and it locking up may be a more serious issue (well, even if it's an old pc, it's still a serious issue) that you should get it looked at.

Comment

When I go to reinstall the drivers it says I have the most up to date so I don't thnk it's that.

As for Mom deleting it...I'm 26 I should be allowed to play it specially when her Computer is the only working computer in MY house...really should get mine working again but it requires being gutted and made new again. I think she just doesn't like the murlocs.

old computer but yes the sound card and video card are new. Well two weeks old now but yes the freezing is worrying to me.

Comment

run dxdiag, do a check through that.

Otherwise, I would see about getting older drivers and seeing if an older one will work. WoW has lots of issues with sound cards. Ever since they switch to their own internal drivers, there have been issues with creative sound cards (as well as others).
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

More things to try;

1) Control panel > Sound and Audio devices > Volume > Advanced.
          make sure all the boxes across the bottom are unticked and set to at least half way.

2) Check in the control panel for a sound card 'mixer'.
          If you have an effects panel change a setting by a smidgen, name & save and set it as default.
          2a) If it's a Creative change switch the mode between Entertainment or Game
          Check to see if it works.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I doubt the card is broken. I do recall in some of the latest patch notes that the game was having issues with sound cards and it's an ongoing fix.

This sounds to me like it's an issue with the game more than the sound card. Submit a bug report to Blizzard and hit the tech support portion of the forums for a possible solution.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
            X