Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But, Broom, I LIKE my perverted cracked out gamer laptop (damned thing weighs a ton, too). I guess it's been time for an upgrade for a long time, though.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Uh, if you have 12 Gigs of Anime that is soooo important to not lose - BURN THEM TO DVDS!!!

Any data whatsoever that is important to a person - back it up on something besides a hard drive. Period.

I keep my resume on Google Documents, my usb stick AND my hard drive.
      I have pictures from a vacation. I've burned ALL of them to a DVD.

Don't ever let this happen - Oh I'll back it up next week/tomorrow/whenever it's a blue moon.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Okay Cutenoob, don't be patronizing.

RW, if you can get your 12 gigs of Anime back, I woudl suggest you burn them to DVD+R disks, like Cutenoob said. The disks are pretty cheap, almost as cheap as CD+RWs and can fit at least 12 episodes to a disk (that's my average for CSI:NY anyways).

If your disk drive won't do it (Because some people like myself still have CD drives and not CD/DVD drive combos) write me up a list and I can get your anime for you, have BF burn it to a few disks for you and ship it when we get your computer finished (we're picking up a majority of your companants today, to be installed today and possibly shipped by the end of the week).

He also has Pumpkin Scissors so I'll see if I can get those sent to you as well.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          Okay Cutenoob, don't be patronizing.
          I don't think Cutenoob was being patronizing (and if you really think that, you should have reported it). CN was stressing just how important back-ups are. If you get a head-crash on your HDD, it's thousands of dollars usually just to get it looked at, since it usually goes out to specialized data recovery companies.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
            But, Broom, I LIKE my perverted cracked out gamer laptop (damned thing weighs a ton, too).
            If you put a new MBoard in, it's not going to be the same perverted cracked out gamer laptop anymore though.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Is the hard drive itself toast? It's possible that it shorted out, but if not, you should be able to pop it in an enclosure and use it like an external drive.

That is exactly what I did when my lappy got wonky (not completely dead, but won't charge), I now have access to all my files. The enclosure itself was only $40 and can be hooked to any USB port.

(Course then I realized I could actually hook it into my computer. Being a laptop noob, I didn't know the odd looking connection from my Dell HDD was a fricken adaptor hiding a completely familiar IDE connection...)
              "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                Uh, if you have 12 Gigs of Anime that is soooo important to not lose - BURN THEM TO DVDS!!!
                That only works if 1) My disk drive actually was a CD-DVD-RW (It's not) and 2) My computer actually recognize CDs/DVDs (It hasn't for 6 months but then I have a CD PLAYER and a DVD PLAYER connected to my TV so what did I care?). The only reason why I have anime and music on it at all is because I was hanging onto it until I could get EQ to transfer the files over to burn them for me.

And I would appreciate Pumpkin Scissors, EQ, thank you.

(EQ, remind me to buy a new keyboard for Mimi before I leave, this damned thing is annoying to use, I don't give a crap if it's "better" for you, it's a royal pain to type on.)
                Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 07-05-2008, 12:41 AM. Reason: Spelling fix
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Is the computer now declared toast? Take out the old hard drive and hook it to another computer and get the data backed up.

From now on, do not save important data to a hard drive with an OS on it. Because, well, they break, and you need to reformat....or other things happen.
                  Even if the laptops nowadays come with huge hard drives, it's not a good habit to use them for storage.

Get an external hard drive. And even with that, if the data is really important, such as financial information, burn a CD/DVD/other format copy on a regular basis.

You can always get external CD/DVD burners too.

Cutenoob
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                    The Tech I took it to freaked when I told him I had 12 Gigs of Anime I could NOT lose. He's taking it off and putting them onto....something. I dunno. Haven't heard back from him as yet.
                    Quoth froglet View Post
                    Is the hard drive itself toast? It's possible that it shorted out, but if not, you should be able to pop it in an enclosure and use it like an external drive.
                    I agree with froglet here. If you pick up an external USB enclosure you'll not only save your anime, but you'll also have a fairly compact drive to carry around with whatever you may need. They come in incredibly handy. Just clean off anything you no longer need like the OS and program files.

Even if the rest of the laptop is toast, the drive should be salvageable.

Eric the Grey
                    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

RetailWorkhorse says the hard drive is not toast! YAY!

(btw: I already have Pumpkin Scissors waiting for you and your other downloads are in the queue)
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

RetailWorkhorse says the hard drive is not toast! YAY!

(btw: I already have Pumpkin Scissors waiting for you and your other downloads are in the queue)
                        Pumpkin Scissors was alot of fun. I also recommend Utawarerumono, Gundam 00, and the new Macross Frontier series. Utawarerumono is being released to DVD in the US now, and Macross Frontier is due to be on SciFi Network this fall.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

No. No Gundam 00. It was lame. Gundam Wing, however, was happy fun times. Particularly Quatre Raberba Winner. ME-OOOOW!

Comment

No. No Gundam 00. It was lame. Gundam Wing, however, was happy fun times. Particularly Quatre Raberba Winner. ME-OOOOW!
                            [/tease]
                            Ah yes, Gundam Wing, featuring special Gundam armor that only protects you until the mech runs out of ammo. See also: Gundam Emo
                            [/tease off]

I had to show the Wing movie at SugoiCon one year, and I had to laugh at the girls who hissed at Duo's girlfriend. Fair enough though, you have a right to your own tastes. I might tease you about it, but I won't go all fanboi on you.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

They're just in it for the pony tail. I had a long pony tail like Duo's a short while ago (I cut it myself, thanks) and considered Cosplaying as Duo but thought better of it because... well... I didn't want to run from a mob the whole time!

Comment

Working...
                              X