This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof I'm STUPID

So I accidently spilled about 1/2-2/3 cup of tea onto my laptop keyboard.

Oooooops! DAMMIT!

Took computer apart to get the liguid out and let it dry. It turns on okay now but after a little bit it will shut itself off. Mum's pretty sure there's still some liquid in it so it's heating up and causing it to become all humid and stuff. Can't afford to replace it and what little money I DO have is going to get new tires for my Jeep before I have a blow-out.

Anyways my problem is this:

The suddenly shutting-itself off. It doesn't go into "save" mode to pause all my programs before it shuts off like it does when it's battery is low, so I'm wonder just what I shorted out this time. It didn't spark or smoke or explode. It just.....the fans will "sigh" and it turns itself off. Will this rectify itself as it dries out or do I have to take it into the computer-docter's?

Thanks, mates.
    -RW
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

you're in trouble.

Laptop?

Even if you took the kbd off, you still had liquid seep into the board.
    Was this tea sugary, by chance?

I'd see if you know someone who can take the laptop apart totally and wash the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol. Rinse it off and get all the gunk off.
    You may never be able to find it, tho...check the areas where power goes to the board and the power connection at the top of the chassis (your on button).

Good luck and dont have just anyone do it. Take it to a shop thats reputable OR have a very good friend do something with it.

You'd have to get this thing bare bones and rinse the parts off with alcohol.

Is it still under warranty?

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Sorry about your laptop. I had something similar happen to my laptop...only instead of tea..it was my daughter's vomit...everywhere.

My husband did exactly what cutenoob suggested, and cleaned everything with alcohol. It's worked great and that was almost a year ago.

Good luck!

Comment

The tea had Splenda in it, so, no not sugary (thank the gods).

Computer hasn't been under warrenty since a year after I bought it (in 2002). It's old and the casing is cracked and broken in some places (like where the wireless internet card would go) because of an 18 pound CAT sitting on it.

I have no one to take it to, and my hardware guy is AdvancedFlea...who lives across the ocean.

It's a royal pain in the ass to get apart (I'm afraid of breaking it) so I didn't clean it with any alcohol.

Comment

For the love of all that's holy do NOT turn it on again until all the water is out. It may be a pain to get apart, but all the first thing a tech is going to do is strip and clean it. Q-tips and alcohol is the way to go.

The contacts on the battery might be shorting, so you could have an overheat or a fire. I'm not a comp repair tech but I play one at work.

Tip 1:The general rule of thumb is that if it is not coming apart easy, you are probably forgetting a screw to unfasten.

Tip 2: Get a styrofoam cup and put all the screws inside. They WILL grow legs and walk away, no matter how flat/stable/re-enforced your table is.

Tip 3: Take a digital photo if there is ANYTHING you are unsure of while taking it apart. It will save you LOADS of time, rather than the trial and error method.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
            The tea had Splenda in it, so, no not sugary (thank the gods).
            Unfortunately, for electronics, Splenda still counts.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Unfortunately, for electronics, Splenda still counts.
              You'd be right.

I fried my motherboard. Tech says it's inoperatable. Looking for a new one but can't afford much because I gave all my money to my parnets to keep THEM out of the hole.

I feel so so stupid.

*Dresses in white and mourns*

Comment

You'd be right.

I fried my motherboard. Tech says it's inoperatable.
                You silly pony.

But if you've fried it what computer are you using to get online?
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Once upon a time I dumped a whole can of Coke into my laptop. I tipped it on it's side, let it drain, turned it off, and let it sit for a week. Turned it back on and it worked fine. It might just need a couple of days to air out. Good luck!
                  I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. ~George Carlin.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                    You silly pony.

But if you've fried it what computer are you using to get online?
                    Grandmother has a computer with broadband.

Am currently looking at a Dell (DUDE! IT'S A *Thunk*) Refurb. Has no video card, sound card, or modem (since when has THAT stopped me?). Need to get Mum's input, though.

Comment

Boy that reminds me of a time I was working as a CSR.

I had a customer come up buying a keyboard and mouse, and he told me that he had a short occur and that the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work anymore.

I told him to bring it in and have the techs look at it, because when a short occurs, it's rare that those 2 die without something more serious occurring.

He comes in a couple weeks later and tell me I was right. I think he said only about 3 components survived.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Grandmother has a computer with broadband.

Am currently looking at a Dell (DUDE! IT'S A *Thunk*) Refurb. Has no video card, sound card, or modem (since when has THAT stopped me?). Need to get Mum's input, though.
                        What's your budget and do you know what parts are salvageable? I'd hate to stand by and watch someone by a new Dell, let alone a refurb...
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

You aren't stupid, accidents happen.
                          Clumsy, klutzy, or any other accident-prone-type adjectives, but don't call yourself stupid. Especially if you learned anything from this experience.

I'd offer to take the laptop apart for you, but I live too far away
                          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                            What's your budget and do you know what parts are salvageable? I'd hate to stand by and watch someone by a new Dell, let alone a refurb...
                            My budget is rather low and EQ and her SO are building me a new computer. All I have to supply is the moniter and keyboard.

Haven't a clue as to what's salvageable. The Tech I took it to freaked when I told him I had 12 Gigs of Anime I could NOT lose. He's taking it off and putting them onto....something. I dunno. Haven't heard back from him as yet. I'm hoping I can get my computer back and at some point just replace the motherboard (Which everyone under the SUN tells me is impossible IF they know I have a laptop. If they think it's a desktop, like everyone ASSUMES I have, then they say "oh, it's easy" and pisses me off).

Comment

It's not impossible to replace the mother board of a laptop.

Just REALLY FREAKING DIFFICULT. Especially if you've never done it before. It's also rarely worth it. *shrug*
                              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                              X