This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Monitor woes?

A few years ago i purchased a laptop with a widescreen format. I believe its 17 inch.
    I run it at 1280x800 resolution, and have the font increased to 125%

However if i read on the screen for a significant amount of time. I get pain in my eyes.

The only difference in the laptop monitor and my desktop, aside from lcd vs crt, is that the desktop is a 19" standard 4:3 ratio, it runs in 1024x768 at about 105% font size.

Personally i can tell no difference in the size of the fonts overall. i feel as if the crt screen fonts are actually smaller.

I can use my desktop computer literally all weekend and never once have eye problems.

Could it be related to the refresh rate or something else?

I thought perhaps a pair of reading glasses would help with my laptop, but i still have eye pains.

My concern actually stems from me wanting to replace my heavy crt monitor with a lighter flat panel lcd. im looking at a 19" widescreen, actually.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009091

Does anyone here experience eye pain/strain from their lcd monitors?

And when i say, the setups are simular, i play MUDs alot, and i use all the same colors as my desktop computer. infact i just copied the zmud folder over completely, and registered it for my laptop. Like i said, ive never experienced these problems on my crt, just my lcd.

Also, as far as the setup, my desktop monitor sits roughly 2 to 3 feet infront of me, and up from eye level, which hits roughly the line that is the bottom third division of the screen. However, my laptop sits with eyelevel near the top 3rd division line, simply because it sits on the desk, as opposed to in a special section of my computer desk.

I forgot to mention that my laptop sits farther away then my desktop monitor, almost completely at arm's length, which is almost 3 feet for me, and almost half again as far as my crt sits away, simply because of the design of my desk.

thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.
    Last edited by symposes; 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM.
    http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
    Cyberpunk mayhem!

People typically sit closer to their laptop monitors. I'm sure getting the new LCD for your desktop won't cause your eyes to hurt.

CRT monitors actually really hurt my eyes a lot.
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Well LCDs don't refresh in the same way that CRTs do, they only refresh the pixels that change.

The first thing that springs to mind is that LCDs are often brighter than CRTs, fiddling with either the monitor settings or the graphics card application for a 'softer' looking image may help.

If you're reading books or documents then taking a break every half hour should help, you'll probably get used to it over time
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

As Maaman said, you'll get used to it. Play with the settings a bit, but keep in mind that you're likely to have some pain for a while yet, especially since you keep going from LCD to CRT. Some people just have to adjust, and it takes time. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it looks like you got "lucky". Eventually it will go away. Until then, yeah, take breaks, play with some monitor settings.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I would also like to mention that with a widescreen, you'll be moving your eyes more than on a regular size screen at the same distance. You won't even notice that you're doing it. And, much like overusing an arm or leg muscle, you may be straining your muscles that control eye movements through overuse without realizing it. It may go away after you get used to the format, or you may have to cut down on time of use. Try taking a five-minute break after an hour of so to focus on distance objects, or just to close your eyes, until you get acclimated to the new monitor.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Mayhaps a pair of reading glasses from your local dollar store would help a bit? Or you could turn on a few more lights. I've noticed when I used to play on my laptop (RIP) late at night and I kept the lights in the living room off to keep from annoying the sleepers in the next room, my eyes would hurt since the only light I was using to see was coming directly from the screen. Grab a desk lamp with a good bright bulb and see if that helps.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
            X