This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raaagh! Irv smash!

I am so freaking pissed right now. I am ready to chuck my laptop out the window, run it over with my car, smash it with a sledgehammer, and light the pieces on fire for good measure.

I purchased a copy of McAfee VirusScan Plus with SiteAdvisor for my laptop. I spent close to 4 hours downloading all the needed information (47 MB or so over a dial-up connection).

Then when that was finished I went to install it and was told I had to remove an incompatible program. I have a Trend Micro PC-cillin firewall that evidently needs to be removed.

AND THIS GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH COMPUTER WILL NOT UNINSTALL IT!!!

I mean, the uninstaller program makes it look like it's doing something, but when I restart the computer it's still there.

So basically, I've wasted the money I spent on the McAfee program and the time spent to download everything. If I finally do figure out to get rid of the PC-cillin program I'll have to download McAfee all over again.

Would anybody have any idea why a program would not uninstall when asked to? I've tried about 5 times already and I have no more patience left.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

My wild ass guess would be it's not uninstalling because it's not compatible with McAffee...

A light attack of google-fu suggests

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...2&id=EN-121942
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

All I can say is I'm suprised you bought McAfee...
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I used the PCCTool as described in rvdammit's link and it uninstalled. Evrything is working fine now. Thank you.

Yeah, it may not be much, but it's better than nothing, which was what I had for too long.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Yeah, it may not be much, but it's better than nothing, which was what I had for too long.
          You could have got AVG for free, I use it (and know a fair few others here do too) and it's not let a single virus in yet (touches wood)
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
            You could have got AVG for free, I use it (and know a fair few others here do too) and it's not let a single virus in yet (touches wood)
            i too use avg, and install it on all the machines i build, repair, resurrect.and some just to see if it will work on the ancient pos. ive had a total of 72 viri try to hit me and got snagged by avg, had norton for a while, tried mcafee, ultimately went with avg because of that exact issue. the big ones are a pita to get rid of completely. norton leaves registry hooks that have to be cleaned up, mcafee is a resource hog on top of being clunky (to me). avg is thin and prety ok, enough glad you got it working,
            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

AVG let couple of virus's in on mine. But it was not updated. Now I run for updates once a day
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                I agree. It used to be a good product, but now it's so damned bloated that I refuse to use it, even though I could get it for free from Comcast.

I use Avast myself, although I hear AVG is also good.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                X