This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m a doctor

So we have a policy that if you are a front line worker and can prove it (either with if or simply showing up in uniform. Or hell, even have shopped here long enough that we’ve seen you in uniform before) you can be bumped to the front of the line as a curtesy to those risking their health to ensure our own. We will even open a new line for paramedics, cops, firefighters as they often have limited time to grab a snack and waiting in a line could very well mean they miss their meal today.

So this older man comes up and says he’s a doctor.

We ask for proof (most first responders are required by law to have identification on them at all times. The hospitals have Id but don’t necessarily need to have it on them). He can’t provide it.

Then goes on to say how he worked for 50 odd years as a trauma surgeon and complains how he can’t even see a bit of gratitude after retirement. How he’s so hard done by because he just wasn’t appreciated when he was still working in the hospital. Blah blah blah.

So he’s already admitted to being retired and not currently working as a doctor. By his own admission without having been prompted.

So I tell him he has to go to the back of the line and wait like everybody else as he is not currently serving the public and that being bumped to the front was to thank current front line workers for helping with the pandemic. Since he is neither currently working as a doctor nor is e helping with the pandemic then I can’t let him jump the line.

Cue meltdown.

And that folks, is why we have actual security now.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

There are all kinds of doctors and not all of them have anything to do with treating Covid-19 patients. My MIL is a Psychiatrist, my sister in law is a forensic pathologist (she doesn't see patients until after they die), My husband's uncle is a dentist. And my brother in law has a PhD in Biochemical research. So I would be really mad if they got to jump the line ahead of everyone else. Nurses, on the other hand, need to jump to the head of the line, as should paramedics.

Comment

Heck

My niece has not medical degrees but works today in an old age home as one of the people who help the old people move about and works in delivering the meals.

I can't even visit her as her work place has strict limits on who she can meet and she can be fired for just meeting someone who they have not proved were clean of the virus. Note at present they have almost 350 clients and not a single infected person and they want to keep it that way.

And I will put her first over this retired doctor in any shopping line if she was allowed to go shopping.

Comment

I wonder how he would have responded if customer collapsed in line? Would he say "I'm a doctor" and start CPR? I have my doubts.
        Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
        TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
        X