This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Number?

ME: Thanks for calling ___ pizza place. How can I help you?
    SC: Yes, could I have your phone number please?
    ME: ...the phone number to which location?
    SC: Yours. This is the **** location, right?
    ME: Yes...
    ME: So...you want...our phone number? The one you just called?
    SC: Yes, please.
    ME: ...
    ME: ...
    ME: Okay...it's ###-####
    SC: Thankyou!
    *click*

This was the funniest phone call I ever got. That is, until it happened twice more during the time that I worked at that pizza place.

I like to imagine she just called back twice more over the years rather than entertain the idea that there were two other people that decided to call us to ask for our phone number. I'm able to keep some hope in humanity that way

I actually know of one logical potential reason for this, though I don't know if it is actually what happened.

Very often, I'll call 411 to get a number, and they connect me directly to the place I called.....and since I don't always listen that intently to the number they say right before they connect me, I don't always know the number I just called.....if that makes sense.

Then again, these people could just be flippin' idiots.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm sure it would be common for the big chains here, which use one number for the entire country, (13 11 66 for Pizza Hut, 131 888 for Dominos) and people just want to get the number to their local store to not have to talk to a computer every time they call for a pizza to ask which state, district, pickup/delivery, etc before been transferred to the actual store.

But I guess thats not the case there
      - Boochan

Comment

No, that's not the case anywhere in the US that I'm aware of. If you want pizza delivery, you call the specific store that covers your area.

But if you want a bank, you get a central number, so people asking for a local number wouldn't be uncommon at all.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Boochan View Post
          I'm sure it would be common for the big chains here, which use one number for the entire country, (13 11 66 for Pizza Hut, 131 888 for Dominos) and people just want to get the number to their local store to not have to talk to a computer every time they call for a pizza to ask which state, district, pickup/delivery, etc before been transferred to the actual store.

But I guess thats not the case there
          Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          No, that's not the case anywhere in the US that I'm aware of. If you want pizza delivery, you call the specific store that covers your area.
          That's the case in Canada. Pizza 73 is 473-7373 for all of my city, Pizza hut is 310-1010 for the whole...province, I think... and I have no clue what Domino's is. I believe any other chains do the individual stores. Also, I know Pizza Hut gives you the number for the store making your order in case there are any problems/changes with the order.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know that if you call Mazio's pizza you get some central location that sends your order to the nearest restraunt.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I actually know of one logical potential reason for this, though I don't know if it is actually what happened.

Very often, I'll call 411 to get a number, and they connect me directly to the place I called.....and since I don't always listen that intently to the number they say right before they connect me, I don't always know the number I just called.....if that makes sense.

Then again, these people could just be flippin' idiots.
              I think jester is right, that it is people calling directory assistance and being transferred without being given a number...
              at least my callers will say "hey, directory assistance just connected me and never gave me your number..."
              either that or I right it off as them asking if there is a different number for the reservation desk or if they just call the same number again.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Alright, explain this one. My cell phone comes with a list of text templates for quick texting. (things like, where are you, or call me when you're available)
                But I have one that says "What is your phone number?". Is it possible to text someone w/o knowing their number?
                I guess I could see if you meant business number or home phone number. But it just says what is your number, which would imply the number you are messaging them at.
                "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Allot of modern phones can e-mail as well using the text interface, maybe it has something to do with that?

Or for business people they couldbe asking for their LAN line
                  "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    That's the case in Canada. Pizza 73 is 473-7373 for all of my city, Pizza hut is 310-1010 for the whole...province, I think... and I have no clue what Domino's is. I believe any other chains do the individual stores. Also, I know Pizza Hut gives you the number for the store making your order in case there are any problems/changes with the order.
                    It's actually across the country at least.

How those work is the call gets sent to a central computer which Transfers it to the nearest location to you. It's done mainly for convience. Instead of having to remember several numbers for places all over the city or trying to locate the nearest one in the phone book or online, you just have to remember one number and it does it automatically.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I remember Pizza Hut did the centralized phone number awhile back here in Indianapolis, but I'm not sure if they're doing it anymore. You'd call and talk to an actual person, but I'm don't remember if they were in a call center or the system just forwarded you to the nearest store. I'd still just call the store directly, though.

Nowadays, I just order online

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

But if you want a bank, you get a central number, so people asking for a local number wouldn't be uncommon at all.

^-.-^
                        Hmmm in Canada, we have regional numbers for chains like Pizza Hutt, KFC, Pizza Pizza... all you have to do is dial your local area code and the general number, and it'll connect you to a provincial call centre It's great!
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          This gave me such a hassle one night. Our family went to visit our grandmother up north. On the way back we stopped at Pizza Hut for dinner. My sister-in-law left her purse there. Since it was Sunday night, there was nobody at the central number who could access the store's direct number because it was out of the area. 411 and the internet would only direct us to the central number. Finally after explaining the situation, the girl at the central number asked around and got the number. The purse was recovered safe and sound (thank goodness for the kindness of small towns).

We sent through a note of thanks and kudos for the girl going the extra mile to save us.
                          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
                          X