Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to behave in a Hospital (Long list)

I don't think people understand exactly how to behave in a hospital.

The hospital does not exhist to give you somthing to do, the babies in the nursury are not some sort of "free museum exhibit".

Shirt, shoes and pants are required at all times, not just one item on the list. The only exception is if you're brought in in an ambulance.

For the love of god, bring your frickin ID and insurance. You're comming to the hospital for a test, dont' you think you'll need them.

Don't tell us that you're "in the computer", shut up and give us your damn cards.

Bring your orders, it's not an easy task to get you a new order from your doctor. Neither us or them have time to keep up with your papers. Don't get angry if you have to wait an hour for your Dr's office to get a minute to make you a new one.

Turn off your damn cell phone or put it on silent. It's incretably rude to take care of a patient that's yapping away on their phone. We get it, your one of those idiots that have to be talking to somone over a phone at all times.

Do keep your child entertained, don't expect me to entertain them for you. But, don't bring LOUD noise making toys.

Do arrive at your scheduled time, if your order says be in the ER registration are at 6:30, don't come to the regular registration area and sign in at 5:58. We close at 6, and don't want to stay to register you when you're in the wrong place. Kudos to you for being on time, but FOLLOW THE DAMN DIRECTONS!!

No, I cannot call your doctor's office because you just want to have a pregancy test. You have to be seen by your doctor to get one. If you can't do that there is a CVS next door.

Do not pass the big "INFORMATION" desk and tap on my window when it has a big closed sign infront of it. If nobody is there and the light is out, don't expect me to come from the back to tell you where the bathroom is.

It's not polite to randomly pick up items off people's desks, yes it's pretty but don't get up to touch.

Latex gloves are not some freebie, don't take a purse-load of them home.

Mistakes happen, just because someone mispelled your name is not an excuse to file an grievence.

Your social status has no meaning, sit down, shut up, and wait.

The ER is for emergencies ONLY.

Nobody wants to hear your life story, we're busy and have loads of patients. I'm not your therapist.

Do not drop off childered or mentally disable adults at the hospital as a replacement for daycare. Our patients are a big enough pain without dealing with people who have no business there.

Yes, I need your social security number. Not everyone is trying to scam you.

If your name is long and odd, don't expect me to get it right on the first try. Don't bark at me if I mis pronounce it.

Check your wallet/pockets before accusing me of losing your insurance card or id.

Don't go around asking ER employees:"How did that guy die" When you're told no, don't get angry.

Wow, it's a life flight helicopter. Don't get in the way to watch it take off. It's not that big of a deal.

Other patient's business isn't yours, privacy is king. Don't ask other people "what's wrong with you".

No, you may not use my phone. Go down the hall and use the free phones.

The tissues are on my desk for a reason, please refrain from sneezing on me or my items.

If you're here to register, stay in the registration area. Don't go tooling around in the gift shop or you'll be skipped. If you have to go to the bathroom, let the woman at the front desk know.

No, you may not keep my pen.

No, I don't know how they do procedures in the OR. That's somthing you should have asked your Doctor.

Just because you think you're sicker than somone else dosen't mean you really are.

People are seen in the ER by severity, so somone having a heart attack goes ahead of a toothache.

Shut up and listen to me when I explain the forms you're signing, you'll wish you did.

Tell us the truth, we can't tell anyone anyway.

Don't eat infront of me, have a bit more respect for others.

Don't eat in the waiting area, somone with gastritis won't apperciate it and will probably ruin you meal when the get sick.

Don't try to give me a religious pamplet, I'll throw it away. Don't hide one on my desk either.

Don't tell me that all the information is correct, I have to verify the info or my boss yells at me. Besides it's never correct.

Don't tap on my desk, it's annoying.

Don't come around my desk and stare over my sholder, it's rude.

If your test was on Tuesday and it's Friday, you're a bit late. you'll have to make another appointment, and I'm not doing it for you.

It's a big hospital, don't get upset if I've never met your neiece that works on 4 east.

If you're not working you're unemployed. You're not a stay at home mom, you're not a student or a homemaker. Don't get angry if I ask, I don't know why the hospital needs to know but we do.

Don't get upset because I don't kiss your ass, I treat everyone the same way.

(don't take this the wrong way) I'm white, red headed and pale (i'm 24 and look 18). If I'm sitting at a desk with pictures of a black 10 year old in a foot ball unifor don't ask me if it's my kid. Don't ask me if he's mixed, that's horribly rude (sorry if it's offensive but people keep asking me that!!)

If you have BO, I'm sorry. If you smell bad enough I'll have to breathe through my mouth, it might be a bit obvious. I won't be rude, but please don't be angry because I don't want to smell it.

Don't try to tip me, say thank you. Giving me match booklets is just plain insulting.

I don't want to see picturs of your kids, I don't have time for that. I'm sure they're really great.

Don't ask me to be quiet so that you can answer your phone. I'll ask you to leave and you'll have to wait while I register another patient. Not just is my time prescious but so is the time of everyone waiting on me to finish with you.

If your orders are in your car, go get them. I'm not calling your doctors office because you don't want to go get them.

No, i will not adjust the temperature for you. You're here 5 minutes I'm here 8 hours. It will take longer for the temperature to change.

No, the skittles on the desk are mine. They're not a treat for your child, please don't tell him/her that they'll get them as a reward for being good. The gift shop down the hall sells them.

Wow, bet you can tell I had a bad day.

P.S sorry it the smell part is a bit rude, i didn't make my POV clear.

Comment

AmericanGirl. There is no need to apologize at all. I come from a medical family and have done my tours (as a patient) of the ERs of both a small South Georgia town and the nonstop chaos that is the Cook County Hospital Emergency Department in Chicago IL. I tell you what, Cook County is a lesson in humility and patience when you've got nowhere else to go. I've watched people with little more than a sprained ankle throw hissy fits for having to wait six hours while the EMTs are blowing the doors off the place desperately working to get gunshot wound victims stabilized and ready for emergency surgery. I waited 14 hours to be seen, but I had no other option so I stayed and waited.

Going from there back to the small town hospital where my family worked, I couldn't help but laugh at a lady who was upset because she had to wait an hour to be seen by the staff.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Latex gloves are not some freebie, don't take a purse-load of them home.
        Okay i'll confess. When my grandfather was in the hospital with lukemia, every time I visited I took a shyte load of rubber gloves (each room had a dispenser on the wall). My mother told me to stop but being 13 year old that I was, I of course didn't listen.

Comment

Don't worry, you're being perfectly reasonable. My mum's a nurse and would agree with you on lots of things. At the moment she's a district nurse, but she's worked in hospitals and a hospice before.

I also remember the time I was in the waiting room on a stretcher after being knocked off my moped, and I was seen pretty much straight away as I'd banged my head. As my stretcher was wheeled in, I heard this woman say in a snippy voice, "Why's she being seen first? I've been here hours!" Yeah, cuz your cut finger is a lot more important than my banged head, broken ribs and broken hand.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Wow Lace, you must have been "mowed" over. I've been hit twice on my motorcycle and suffered nowhere near what you did.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth 0oAmericanGirl View Post
              If you're not working you're unemployed. You're not a stay at home mom, you're not a student or a homemaker. Don't get angry if I ask, I don't know why the hospital needs to know but we do.
              While I know that these examples are considered being unemployed, I'm sure that a few stay at home moms will be offended.

Just saying.

On another note, I like lots of other things you mentioned!!! (And what kind of sicko goes around the ER asking, "How did they die?" )
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                While I know that these examples are considered being unemployed, I'm sure that a few stay at home moms will be offended.

Just saying.

On another note, I like lots of other things you mentioned!!! (And what kind of sicko goes around the ER asking, "How did they die?" )

Well ther is nothing wrong with being a stay at home mom, unless you're living off government assistance. I am the only person working in my immediate area with out children and that comment really makes them mad. They wish they could be at home with their kids all day but they have to work to pay bills. Not trying to pick any fight over government assistance.

As for the idiot that asks "how did he die" it happes almost every time we have a death in the ER. With out fail they find out somone died and will ask any employee how it happened. It's really sick, I'm just waiting for somone to go up to the family of a deceased person and ask that. I'd love watching them get their ass kicked !

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  I also remember the time I was in the waiting room on a stretcher after being knocked off my moped, and I was seen pretty much straight away as I'd banged my head. As my stretcher was wheeled in, I heard this woman say in a snippy voice, "Why's she being seen first? I've been here hours!" Yeah, cuz your cut finger is a lot more important than my banged head, broken ribs and broken hand.
                  It's called triage, ya frickin' moron!
                  I'm not in the medical profession by any stretch of the imagination, but I imagine ER admission works a bit like TV news - "if it bleeds, it leads." When I was a kid I did something dumb and ended up with an inch-long cut on my scalp which bled like an S.O.B. I was seen pretty much immediately when I went to the ER: on the other hand, when I messed up my ankle a few years later by stepping in a hole, I waited 45 minutes to be seen. I guess if there's the possibility that the brain could be involved, they wanna check you over carefully. Even though my foot hurt I didn't mind the wait too much, except I was cold and some idiot bumped my wheelchair, jarring my foot.
                  Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
                  - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Can I ask a question? Why does the clinic waiting room have all the crappy magaines that nobody reads, but it seems like the blood bank had a stockpile of good magazines. Why can't the clinic get a subscription to TIME or something?
                    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth ForestDragon View Post
                      It's called triage, ya frickin' moron!
                      I'm not in the medical profession by any stretch of the imagination, but I imagine ER admission works a bit like TV news - "if it bleeds, it leads." When I was a kid I did something dumb and ended up with an inch-long cut on my scalp which bled like an S.O.B. I was seen pretty much immediately when I went to the ER: on the other hand, when I messed up my ankle a few years later by stepping in a hole, I waited 45 minutes to be seen. I guess if there's the possibility that the brain could be involved, they wanna check you over carefully. Even though my foot hurt I didn't mind the wait too much, except I was cold and some idiot bumped my wheelchair, jarring my foot.
                      Immediately!? Lucky duck! CMH had an accident on a child-safe playground a few weeks back. (it was kid proof not frank proof. lol)

And ended up nearly scalping himself on the edge of a slide. Twenty-One staples and a stitch later, he was right as rain. Mind you we sat there for 7 hours waiting to see anybody.

And then last week his cut got infected and as did my bee-sting. We got matching His and Hers antibiotic prescriptions. Heh.

As for your rules. I have no problem with them AG, they sound like common sense mostly. And most SCs don't have that.

Comment

It all depends on severity of wounds. It's first come, first serve, until a person with a wound that is very dangerous and/or life-threatening comes in. Stubbed toes don't come before open bleeding or broken bones. It's a matter of common sense, you'd seriously think more people would understand.
                        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                          Can I ask a question? Why does the clinic waiting room have all the crappy magaines that nobody reads, but it seems like the blood bank had a stockpile of good magazines. Why can't the clinic get a subscription to TIME or something?
                          Interesting, popular and up-to-date magazines last about 15 minutes in the average waiting room. People steal them and then gripe that "there's nothing but old boring magazines to read". Gee, wonder why that is??
                          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                            Because they WANT you at the blood bank. :P

Comment

Earlier this year, I sliced my finger open at work and had to wait two hours to get a couple of stitches. I was able to drive myself to the hospital and had stopped bleeding by the time I got there, but this was after standing over the bathroom sink for ten minutes and filling it with blood. So I was getting very lightheaded and the room was starting to spin.

Luckily, I have donated blood enough times to know what was going on. After grabbing a candy bar and soda from the vending machine, I was right as rain and ready to face the tentanus shot and stitches.

Tet shot = owie!
                              A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Working...
                              X