Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not know if one of my friends got power back yesterday or not, but I doubt it. I heard a little bit ago that in Wirt Co the only area with power is the city of Elizabeth

Comment

I'm not in the DC area, more like a hundred or so (or more?) miles south of it in Virginia.

It was sort of funny how we found out about the storm -- we were watching Casper (the first, GOOD movie done, with Christina Ricci) and the power blinks a couple times. Ok, no big. That happens sometimes.

Then everything goes out. The storm continues. A power (phone? We never found out) line was even down, 1 foot away from the back tires of the family's car.

It was fun, fun, fun (not) not having power, struggling through the heat for 2 days before finally finding a place to go... (a church from famous local college) We were watching the AEP website like hawks...

/rant

Our power came back on something like 4-5 days ago. Holy cow were we relieved.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Okay, Kabe here on Kheldarson's computer, because the storm, power outage, and/or heat seem to have killed mine. We just got power back about 12:30 this afternoon, and most things seem to be fine, except for the fridge, which is now gross, and my computer, which at this point is mainly able to go "click click click" and inform me "Operating System not found."

I suspect that translates to "your hard drive has bricked."
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Could be the hard drive; could also be the power supply; or could be the cable from the ps to the hd.

Start by checking the connections. If those are solid, then swap to a different power cable from the power supply (preferably one with no branches with anything on them). Also, make sure the PS is hardy enough for everything in the system. If it still clicks, then, yeah, it's probably a toasty drive, which always sucks.

I actually had a power supply that was woefully underpowered for my machine, and when I swapped in just one more fan, it devolved to being unable to spin up the hard drive.

^-.-^
          Last edited by Andara Bledin; 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I may try those things, but it's already 8 years old anyway. All my things are on an external already, so unless something happens to that, I'm just going to use Kheldarson's old one until I can replace it.
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
            X