This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wish people knew?

We all have our pet peeves of lack of knowledge in the general public. Mine is a lack of first aid training in the general public, either original training or keeping the skills up to date.

What are your peeves?
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

One of my pet peeves at work is the fact that people regularly decide that the solid yellow line in front of my parking space is okay to park beside. I'm blocked in, as it is ONE space- between buildings, that there is no other way out of. Seriously - the car is NOT hidden. The line is BRIGHT yellow, and good lord.... I could rant for awhile on this. And it's not just regular, ordinary drivers. It's the owner of the business next door and regular delivery drivers that know better. jeesh.

Comment

That when the traffic lights at an intersection are out, you are to treat it as a 4-way stop, not just hurtle right through like a bat out of Hell.

The difference between 'less' and 'fewer'. It's petty, I guess, but it really irritates me at the grocery when I see the express lane sign, "15 Items or Less". Grrrr.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

That there's no such word as "sherbert."

It's all I could think of right now.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          That there's no such word as "sherbert."

It's all I could think of right now.
          Oh god yes!!! That one drives me up the wall!

Also, proper use of the apostrophe. Especially when people use them in regular plurals. It is NOT "Oreo Cookie's $2.99." If you're that confused, then just don't use them at all.
          "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

How to read a map, and just how to navigate in general. Seriously, I've had guests ask me for the address of the store across the street so they could put it in their GPS! I don't know the address...it's across the street! I swear, GPSs have turned some of our guests into total mindless drones when it comes to navigation. I don't know how they survived without them.

In that same vein, how to turn getting lost into a fun adventure. Instead of freaking out and cursing your GPS, explore and use some old-school logic to solve your dilemma. Yes, being lost can be frustrating, but it can also be fascinating, amazing, and even hilarious if you have the right mindset!

(I do like my GPS, but I don't need it to the extend that I'm dependent on it. Geocaching ftw!)
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri
              That when the traffic lights at an intersection are out, you are to treat it as a 4-way stop, not just hurtle right through like a bat out of Hell.
              Oh gods this! The power was out in chunks of my city tonight after sundown cause of storms and whole stretches of road had no power. Including traffic lights. It was ridiculous how people just went whenever they wanted to. I about screamed at the other drivers a dozen times.
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

If you are posting a job ad, have someone proofread it. It makes me not want to work for you. And I wish my customers had any idea how much I have to do in one shift.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The purpose and current state of the space program. In the last 2 years, I've encountered numerous people who thought that:

1: the shuttle was capable of moon landings.
                  2: that we were still DOING moon landings
                  3: that space exploration was pointless if extraterrestrial life could never be encountered.
                  4: that NASA gets a lot of money (try less than 1% of the federal budget)
                  5: that NASA was "shutting down" with the end of the shuttle program

Number 4 I can at least understand sort of, though it's easy to look up. But 1,2, and 5? Just...no. *headdesk*
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

How to navigate this, especially when turning left:

Last edited by Dave1982; 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: image was stretching the scren
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I wish that people knew their address.

Seriously, I get people who call me up every day asking questions about their property (that they own), and the question "What is your address?" results in a response of "Uhhh" or "can't you look it up?"

Yes, I can look it up, assuming you can answer the other tough questions like "what's your full name?" (No, Mary or Ms. Mary doesn't count.) But shouldn't you know where your home is located? Bonus points if they also live there.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        How to navigate this, especially when turning left:
                        I notice the second guy turning south is totally cutting outside of his own lane in that pic.

I've had people almost run into me because of that crap and then honk at me as if I were the one that didn't know how to drive. >_<

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          I notice the second guy turning south is totally cutting outside of his own lane in that pic.

I've had people almost run into me because of that crap and then honk at me as if I were the one that didn't know how to drive. >_<

^-.-^
                          I've gone past almost. Notice how the northbound side has the start of another right lane - it's to turn into the plaza. I've been pushed into that several times. To add in more fun - people tend to forget the "right turn on red" law has a second part - "AFTER YOU STOP".

Of course, these people always yell at me, flip me off, or flash some kind of weapon when I beep my horn at them.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

The cigars that you buy in Mexico (or Jamaica) are probably not the Cubans they told you they were. They are most likely Dominican or another type. Just like Rolex watches, cigars are counterfeited to fool those seeking the 'real thing' but don't really know how to look for the flaws. Remember, all these people in foreign countries want is your money. They play on your stupidity and ignorance and desire for what you are denied at home.

Not to mention Cuba is a has-been country for the last 20 years. The quality is no longer what it was. Dominican cigars outsmoke and outsell the Cuban brands 5-1 on a global level. The only reason people want the 'Cubans' is they are forbidden. Most Americans wouldn't know what any brand that is still manufactured there, tasted like, because most of the high quality smoke-able stuff only gets in the hands of people with money, and lots of it. Somewhat on the level of world leaders and dignitaries and their cronies/allies, sultans, dictators, etc.

So coming into my shop and trying to impress me by saying you have only ever smoked Cubans, but when I ask which brand (and I know them all-and most are no longer there), yet you can't name a single one, you just make yourself look like an idiot.

Plus anyone who is American who really is an aficionado, would never go into an American shop and ask any of the following:

"Where are the Cubans?"
                            "Do you have anything that tastes like a Cuban?" - When I ask them to describe what they're looking for, they give me the confused stare. What I mean when I as this is describe the flavor notes and strength. If they can't then I know they're full of it.

One of our customers is a diamond wholesaler who has dual citizenship with Israel. He travels globally, and loves cigars. He says that he has had the real thing and really it isn't as good as people here build it in their mind to be. Plus he would rather not support a communist country like that.
                            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Relating to the above, how to pick a cigar!

I consider myself something of a tobacco aficionado, and love pipes and cigars. Hence, it makes me sick to see young bucks who think they are something:

1. Pick a cigar which is far to large for their face, making them look like they just were in a frontal collision with a zeppelin.
                              2. Take three puffs, go green and put the rest out.
                              3. Always buy Cubans, even though Cuban cigars are FAR too powerful in taste for most beginning smokers (as some of you know, I am not in the US, but live in a country where Cuban cigars are openly available).

PLEASE, stop wasting money on big, manly cigars because they're big and manly. Get something that suits your face, taste and wallet. If you're a beginner, buy two small cigars instead of one big one.
                              The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Working...
                              X