This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dread Tuesdays...until I see

I dread Tuesdays. For the past eighteen months, I have called it "the Day of the Dead" because it is senior (read that uber needy demanding customer) discount day. Then I met Dawn and Alice.

Dawn is a wonderful sweet little lady that shops with her adopted parents. Dawn stands all of four feet tall and dressed in layers and a winter coat, probably weighs 95 pounds. Dawn's adopted parents, Mommy and Daddy, are amazing people. They are in their seventies and absolutely ooze love which Dawn graciously shares.

I was having a very rough day. I had put myself in time out several times and was fuming thru the Produce department when Dawn spied me...and the biggest smile and excited wave came from that little pixie body. She bolted from Mommy's side and gave me the biggest hug. I am not sure who had the "special need" in that moment, Dawn who was abandoned by her family and raised by incredible people or me--the CSM on a rampage.

Alice comes to see us every Tuesday unless she is out of town visiting family on the coast. Like many small town New England, Alice is pleasantly stubborn and fiercely independent. The first time I ever saw Alice was in the pet food aisle and she was using her "stick" to nudge a seven pound box of cat litter from an upper shelf into her cart. I stopped her...for a number of reasons, safety being the first. I put the product in her cart and went about my rounds. Alice is too stubborn and independent to actually ASK some one for help, so I have had to learn to keep watch for her because she will resort to using her stick the scoot the cat litter into her basket with her stick. Now, as soon as I see Alice in the store, I grab her cat litter and put it in her carriage. Sometimes she is aware that I have done it other times I hear her giggle from the aisles when she notices that I have put her litter in her carriage.

I will be honest, I don't like Tuesdays any more than I did eighteen months ago but these two ladies certainly make the day more enjoyable just because they are examples of everything that is RIGHT about the town the Quarry built.
Working...
X