This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 - No help needed, but comments on install

So, this isn't a reuqest for help, but I'm about to start an install of Window 7 on my laptop. I have no idea if it'll work, since the laptop decided it's a Vista box and nothing else will touch it's inner workings.

ISO just finished burning.

Here we go.

UPDATE! Looks like it's installing!!
    Last edited by technical.angel; 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Theoretically, anything that runs Vista can install/upgrade to Win 7. It's nice to know it's potentially true. I'm looking to upgrade my laptop to that when the full release comes out, so please lemme know any issues that come up.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

My laptop previously had XP, but needed a reformat. The only disk I had to reformat it with was Vista. I haven't been able to get Vista off to go back to XP. :P

Expanding files.... 89%

Comment

Yeah, that's really the biggest legitimate gripe with Vista. Once it's on there, it's not coming off without *way* more effort than it's worth. Sounds like the install's proceeding relatively quickly, at least.

Comment

Install's finished with no problems. The thing looks COOL!! Installed all the drivers for me.

I had a little trouble navigating the wireless configuration stuff, but once I found what I needed (manually configuring a connection) it made sense.

Once again, it looks COOL.

Comment

Screen shot, please!
            "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Comment

I'm hoping you can at least get rid of the desktop icons (I turn my off as I never use them anyway)?

Oh, but if they kept their original plan, the system requirements for Windows 7 are the same as Vista if not lower.

Comment

I played whit win 7 a little. I like it much more than Vista.

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
                    I'm hoping you can at least get rid of the desktop icons (I turn my off as I never use them anyway)?
                    Which desktop icons? The ones on the desktop, the ones to view the desktop...? If it's the ones ON the desktop, if you never use them, what's it matter if they're there? If it's the ones to view it, there really isn't one anymore, since you can mouse over a portion of the taskbar to be able to see the desktop, or you can do the window shake to minimize everything.

Comment

I was able to delete the desktop icons, and was presented a note that if I wanted them back, I could restore them from the control panel.

There's a built in sticky notes program.

Logging in with a new network profile is taking forever.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        Which desktop icons?
                        Any "computer, network, recycle bin" etc ones -- anything not by the windows button. All they do is take up space and cover up the actual background image that I've got up. Given the Vista design (which 7 looks a lot like in ways), everything's 1-2 clicks away, or a few button presses.

Comment

Hmm... I think I'm gonna upgrade from XP to 7 (after backing up any important files to DVD)
                          Otaku

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
                            Any "computer, network, recycle bin" etc ones -- anything not by the windows button.
                            AKA "The ones one the actual desktop" then? A or B, you gimme C. Looks like TA answered the question then.

Comment

STILL loading my new profile.....

Comment

Working...
                              X