X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't have it till you calm down!

Wow! New section!

This is regarding a nurse I had while in the hospital, so I suppose it could be a sighting. It's pretty burned into my memory.

A few years ago I was unexpectedly in the hospital. Have never been in the hospital in my life. There were renovations going on, and due to my injury I was put in the cardiac ward. Most of the other patients were elderly, and I think more than a few were confused or had dementia because that gets worse at night and at night the ward sounded like something from a horror movie. Scared the shit out of me! I usually had the same nurses during the day, but at night got different ones. And they sucked.

I woke-up in a lot of pain. A lot. Because I was having a hard time breathing, I was panicking, which made it worse. I hit my buzzer again and again and again. I felt bad about doing it, but I needed pain medication now! I was crying by now and calling for help, because I was afraid of not being able to breath. I'm embarassed to think of how I must have sounded. Finally a grumpy sounding nurse came in and asked what the problem was. I gasped that I needed my meds for the pain, I couldn't breath. She really seemed to take her time looking over all my vitals while I was gasping and crying "could I please have them now!?" (All the other nurses gave them to me right away, it wasn't controlled or for certain times of the day, it was AS NEEDED) She left the room without saying anything and came back a few minutes later with the syringe to put in my IV. And stood there. Looking at me. I just kept saying "Please, please it REALLY hurts." I was still crying. She gave this dramatic sigh and said 'You HAVE to calm down!" I told her I was trying, but I couldn't breath. She just held my syringe there by my IV telling me I wasn't getting it until I got myself under control. I managed to stop crying long enough for her to give it to me. She then gave me some sort of lecture about my behavior and how I was making such a fuss, but the meds were kicking in by then and I fell asleep.

I probably should have said something to someone about that, but the room was dark and I didn't see her well, and figured nobody would have believed a nurse would act like that. I justified it by telling myself that maybe she'd been run ragged by the elderly patients who were worse-off and that my buzzing had been the last straw or something. I suppose compared to them I didn't look like I had much wrong with me and she assumed I was being dramatic.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Well I'm glad you're better now.

Of course if you had complained to anyone on the hospital floor they would have made excuses. I know because I made a complaint about someone working on the psych ward and the only thing I heard was, "Well, they haven't had any sleep and, blah, blah, blah."

The hospital board of directors on the other hand...

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      A few years ago I was unexpectedly in the hospital. Have never been in the hospital in my life. There were renovations going on, and due to my injury I was put in the cardiac ward. Most of the other patients were elderly, and I think more than a few were confused or had dementia because that gets worse at night and at night the ward sounded like something from a horror movie. Scared the shit out of me! I usually had the same nurses during the day, but at night got different ones. And they sucked.
      We call that "Sundown Syndrome." Pretty common with patients with dementia, especially when in the hospital. They have no short term memory, so they forget where they are or how they got there and it really is very scary for them.

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      I woke-up in a lot of pain. <snip> She left the room without saying anything and came back a few minutes later with the syringe to put in my IV. And stood there. Looking at me. I just kept saying "Please, please it REALLY hurts." I was still crying. She gave this dramatic sigh and said 'You HAVE to calm down!" I told her I was trying, but I couldn't breath. She just held my syringe there by my IV telling me I wasn't getting it until I got myself under control. I managed to stop crying long enough for her to give it to me. She then gave me some sort of lecture about my behavior and how I was making such a fuss, but the meds were kicking in by then and I fell asleep.
      Yes, if this ever happens again, please complain. That was completely inappropriate. She showed no empathy at all. You have to empathize with the patient.

For example, "I see you are in pain. I will be back as quick as I can with your pain medicine. Focus on slow deep breathing to keep calm while I work with the IV. I'll check on you in 15-20 minutes to make sure the medicine is working."
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh, they'd believe it. As with any other profession, there are great nurses, there are middle-of-the-road nurses, and there are nurses that you wonder how they ever qualified in the first place This would be one of those last ones. My aunt has told me that night nurses usually take the job for one of two reasons. 1- they really REALLY need the paycheque, and 2- they figure night wards are easy, everybody's sleeping, and maybe they can get some reading/knitting/surfing/sleeping done. The ones who need the paycheque are usually pretty good. The second group? Tend to resent any intrusion on their reading/knitting/surfing/sleeping time.

(pardon the generalization.... I know this isn't cut-and-dried and there are many grey areas other than the black and white I've illustrated above. Just trying to make a point.)
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Oh, they'll believe it. And they'll raise holy hell over it. When my wife had her gall bladder removed, the surgeon prescribed IV Torredal as needed during the recovery -- but the nurse told her "You'll get two Tylenol, and you'll be happy!" When the doctor found out the next day what happened, she raised all kinds of shit over it. When a doctor prescribes an opiate, the nurse is NOT permitted to give an OTC NSAID instead!!! (And probably keep the opiate for her own use, so the pharmacy records match the chart.)
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            Oh, they'll believe it. And they'll raise holy hell over it. When my wife had her gall bladder removed, the surgeon prescribed IV Torredal as needed during the recovery -- but the nurse told her "You'll get two Tylenol, and you'll be happy!" When the doctor found out the next day what happened, she raised all kinds of shit over it. When a doctor prescribes an opiate, the nurse is NOT permitted to give an OTC NSAID instead!!! (And probably keep the opiate for her own use, so the pharmacy records match the chart.)
            Hate to be a nit picker, but . . . .

Toradol is an NSAID. Tylenol is a non narcotic, non NSAID analgesic and anti-pyretic (fever).

Probably the nurse was just being a power hungry bitch, and didn't want to take the time to draw up an IV med as opposed to giving a couple of quick pills.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
            X