This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a cab

This is from my days as a Paramedic. One thing we hate is being told we are just drivers. No, we are medical professionals (for the most part).

Anywhoo...We got called to a residence for shortness of breath, chest pain, and vomiting. We arrive on scene with all the blinky lights going, siren, only to have our patient walk out to us...carrying a 2 liter of Coke. This should have been a sign. She climbs in, sits on the cot, and says to drive her to the "hopital", all before we have actually dismounted from the cab. I climb in back, and try to get a history. She tells me it's none of my business, she just needs a ride.

I'm thinking right here we should have kicked her out, but the higher ups frown on that, so away we go. I managed to get her to tell me she just needed a pregnancy test, that's why she wanted to go to the ER. She stated screaming at me and pulled the race card when I dumped her ass in triage.

Couldn't have gotten away with putting her in a full body brace and strapping her down? I mean, that soda was OBVIOUSLY the mechanism of injury!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

she probably got the bill for the ambulance ride though.

Comment

Or, more than likely she has insurance that covered her first ambulance ride, no doubt brought on by the reason she needs a pregnancy test in the first place. And since she didn't have to "pay" for the first one she assumes she can just call an ambulance whenever.

Or she's played Grant Theft Auto too much, but even GTA I got paid for dropping people off at the hospital.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
          This is from my days as a Paramedic. One thing we hate is being told we are just drivers. No, we are medical professionals (for the most part).

Anywhoo...We got called to a residence for shortness of breath, chest pain, and vomiting. We arrive on scene with all the blinky lights going, siren, only to have our patient walk out to us...carrying a 2 liter of Coke. This should have been a sign. She climbs in, sits on the cot, and says to drive her to the "hopital", all before we have actually dismounted from the cab. I climb in back, and try to get a history. She tells me it's none of my business, she just needs a ride.

I'm thinking right here we should have kicked her out, but the higher ups frown on that, so away we go. I managed to get her to tell me she just needed a pregnancy test, that's why she wanted to go to the ER. She stated screaming at me and pulled the race card when I dumped her ass in triage.
          Paramedics are medical professionals. The "for the most part" only applies to the rare doofus who isn't professional (every profession has them, sadly).

She's lucky she didn't get me as the charge nurse. I'dve dumped her ass in triage as well. Our policy for this kind of BS, was, triage, get a urine sample in the waiting room, and unless they had other symptoms, make 'em wait until everything else is cleared out before the doctor sees him . . . no test results until then.

How stupid of these people . . . you can buy perfectly good pregnancy tests at the dollar store.

Quoth 50 mission cap View Post
          she probably got the bill for the ambulance ride though.
          You can't get blood from a stone. These jokers usually don't have insurance . . . or have Medicaid which they view as a "get all health care free card." (which does a disservice to the vast majority of Medicaid recipients who use it responsibly).
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I love the dollar store but would NOT trust a pregnancy test from there sorry.....
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Step 1: pharmacy med test.

Step 2: See your GP. (or 'family doctor' by whatever name). If you're an actual parent, you've got about twenty years of knowing your GP well ahead of you.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                I love the dollar store but would NOT trust a pregnancy test from there sorry.....
                Believe it or not, the dollar store pregnancy test I originally bought for my second pregnancy was positive. The backup I bought for eleven bucks at the drugstore said negative. Eight months later, I have a ten pound redhead with grey eyes looking at me. I'd trust the dollar store test again.

Comment

They do say "you get what you pay for"

The best part is...sometimes you get the best stuff for next to nothing
                  I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    They're perfectly fine. Any OTC pregnancy test is as good as the urine dipstick test we do in the ER. If positive, we always follow up with a blood test. We only do an ultrasound if the patient is complaining of symptoms that might indicate a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Step 1: pharmacy med test.

Step 2: See your GP. (or 'family doctor' by whatever name). If you're an actual parent, you've got about twenty years of knowing your GP well ahead of you.
                    Step 2 only applies if you have a GP you've known for 20 years. You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't.

Nonetheless, wondering if you are pregnant is NOT a medical emergency and does NOT warrant a call to 911. If you don't have a doc, hit an urgent care or clinic
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've never met any of the doctors assigned to me by HMO but for one that I specifically asked never to be seen by again. He wasn't a bad doctor, but he was so incredibly loud that it hurt my ears when he talked. >.<

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        Step 2 only applies if you have a GP you've known for 20 years. You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't.
                        We don't - we have one we hope to know for 20 years, though. He's GREAT.

But yeah, lots of people don't realise how important it is for you to have a regular GP.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          But yeah, lots of people don't realise how important it is for you to have a regular GP.
                          I've had one for years. Unfortunately for me, he's in Brooklyn, and I'm on the other side of the Hudson... kind of cuts down on unnecessary visits. If I have to be arsed to get in my car/on the bus and travel for an hour to get to see the doctor, you know damn well I'm sick.

Comment

Quoth surreal20 View Post
                            They do say "you get what you pay lay for"

There, fixed that for ya

P*S

Comment

Working...
                            X