Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permission? Work orders? Who needs em! TIMBEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea they stole the wood to sell to those who make planks, sculptures, and the like. Mom had some black cherry trees that had some beautiful large straight sections. One tree alone went for over 800 bucks.

Comment

I sure hope for the homeowners' sakes that they didn't accidentally sign something that they shouldn't have!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I comprehend your pain, as my mother has had problems both with similar companies, and an overzealous neighbor who decided to cut up her tree.

But I just have to point out that it is kinda funny to have your post about this followed by your sig asking everyone to "TRIM YOUR QUOTES!"

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          What the @#$%*$& sort of company does major work like this without a contract?
          Ones that show up on "People's Court".
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Privacy and beauty aside, I'd be concerned about corrosion and the long-term effect on the surrounding areas. What happens 5yrs from now after multiple rainstorms and only dead, rotting stumps to hold the dirt in place?

She should get a consultation with a lawyer, stat. I'm curious how big the landscaping company is, because many around here are a small business and would simply "close" and reopen under another name.

Hopefully the company has liability insurance. If not, does she have insurance? Would homeowner's insurance even cover something like this?
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Haven't experienced it myself, but having worked in the tree care biz, I've heard about it more than a few times.

Most assuredly, get a good lawyer and sue. Also, if things get to a point where replacement is an option for some of the trees, don't let them squeak by by using new trees, even 6 footers. Push for transplanting grown, established trees, otherwise the next 20 years are going to be spent waiting for those trees to get anywhere close to the size their predecessors were.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                One hopes that you're got irrefutable proof that the company who's responsible can be found liable by a court or law enforcement. Otherwise, it'd probably be worthwhile (given the monetary amounts) for them to fight tooth and nail to avoid responsibility by claiming it wasn't them... and drag restitution out for years.
                I would think the fact that they came back the next day (presumably in a signed company truck) would be considered fairly good proof of identity.

Sounds like solid civil and criminal cases here. Hope her lawyer is up to it.
                I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Even a lawyer that wasn't her lawyer would probably salivate at this kind of lawsuit.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    Hopefully the company has liability insurance. If not, does she have insurance? Would homeowner's insurance even cover something like this?
                    Potentially. She filed a police report, so she could possibly file an insurance claim for theft. I don't know how much would be covered or if it would be covered, but it's always a possibilty.

ETA: Or malicious mischief. However, most homeowner's policies have a limit to how much they'll pay to replace one tree.
                    Last edited by WoodenSunshine; 03-27-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Insurance companies around here need a special rider and will only replace up to a K unless the tree in question is one of our rare trees and then they can get up to a five year old sapling per tree.

Mom has the rider cause we use a approved windrow on each edge of the property. If a tornado came through the downed trees would be sold and that money plus the K would be used to plant new trees in the downed ones spots. Which would still leave us without a windrow for a good ten years.

But then this state and the state this happened in are vastly different.

Comment

I absolutely believe they cut those trees down for the wood. No matter what kind they are, someone's bound to pay for that wood to use for something. Her attorney should find out what happened to those trees. My guess is they sold them off already, and if not where are they?

Probably need a court order at some point to get their records. Bastards.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Any updates?
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                            I wouldn't be surprised if the landscaper did this to steal the wood. What sort of trees were they?
                            Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            Not sure what kind of trees they were (didn't ask) but you may be right; future MIL suspects the same thing.
                            Quoth Aethian View Post
                            Yea they stole the wood to sell to those who make planks, sculptures, and the like. Mom had some black cherry trees that had some beautiful large straight sections. One tree alone went for over 800 bucks.
                            I bet that because nobody was there on a midday week, they figured out that her house was a weekender house and they would have a couple days to grab all her trees. Bastards.
                            Quoth Aethian View Post
                            Insurance companies around here need a special rider and will only replace up to a K unless the tree in question is one of our rare trees and then they can get up to a five year old sapling per tree.

Mom has the rider cause we use a approved windrow on each edge of the property. If a tornado came through the downed trees would be sold and that money plus the K would be used to plant new trees in the downed ones spots. Which would still leave us without a windrow for a good ten years.

But then this state and the state this happened in are vastly different.
                            Hm, I can get a few *no shit, real* American Chestnut tree whatyoucallums - the baby trees that grow out from the bottom of an established tree - suckers? Mom has an American Chestnut tree at the house, a gift from a scientist buddy of my Dad's who was working on finding the remaining ones and getting a breeding population of them going again. Only a female tree though - the male died as a baby tree. I believe you carefully peel it off the trunk base and stick it in some sort of hormone solution to get it to develop roots.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              Ones that show up on "People's Court".
                              No, at this level they show up in a REAL civil court for the reimbursement hearing AFTER the criminal court has declared the owner guilty of theft.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

You must admit, though. If it weren't for the court shows, we'd have an even worse civil court backlog...
                                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                                X