This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation name drop FAIL!

SC calls looking for obscure manual trans oil on old ass Jeep.
    I don't have the info from the time of paper books.
    Some aftermarket parts places have fluid guides but they only list the auto trans fluid.
    Dude starts getting pissy. But in his pissy he gives me not a part # that he tried asking the aftermarket for MS-xxx . OH ok I do have 1 paper chem book that has some of these MS # in. (It's a OEM oil standard # BTW) OK I find it- well what do you know it's known as "Manual Trans Fluid" how original. Now 90% of the stick trans are just gear oil. But that not this. So we go back and fourth on this. He gets snooty and asked if I even looked at the label to see if there is weight- the book has the full thing why should I? but I lie and say yes.
    Next Do I have it and how much, ok I have a full case and $28 a bottle.

The words I love- "what will you do for me on this" (sell it to you)
    nothing- "but I buy sooooo much from you"
    Really? who are you?
    ahhh I'm so and so- well your not in my system.
    oh I do so much with C and that other guy in Ford.
    What other guy?
    oh the guy with C you know...who? M
    No R yea R
    R? R who?
    R's been there a while I do alot.
    Funny it's been C and M for over a year at least.
    Well C cuts me a break I have my own business.
    Is it car related?
    No
    Well then....
    Well give it to C and he can give me a break.
    No
    Well whats the PN 22222222aa
    Then he says he will call C and have him give him a discount.
    Ok what ever. bye
    I'm 10 feet form C- hey you know this asshole?
    Who?
    LOL
    BTW R left ford 8 years earlier.
    Yea heads up C.
    *phone rings*
    it's asshole- who tries the bullshit. C shuts him down. He's not Jeep can't bill/look up or question Jeep, too bad so sad.
    He get off the phone, ok I remember that douche nozzle, and he buy 1 thing a year and beg for $$ off so I would quote an $40 part at $60 and tell him I'll give you a break at $45.
    LOL Damm too bad I didn't know to do that.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Yeah, I used to get a lot of that back in the day, the guy who originally owned Friendly Neighborhood Towing had a kid who worked in the shop and kept rather, skeevy, company...

Well, those deadbeats would inevitably get towed and try to get out of it because they "Know Owner's Kid!"

Great thing was how they obviously didn't know "Owner's Kid" very well as they kept dropping that name for a full three YEARS after FNT was sold to new owners.

One particular fellow deadbeat was sent into shocked silence when informed that not only did "Owner's Kid" not even WORK here anymore, but didn't even seem to be aware that in the intervening triumvirate of years, said kid had actually GONE TO JAIL, gotten released and was on a call-the-cops-if-you-see-him-on-the-property list with all of us employees.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

What trans did he have? A T-98? He probably would have been fine with an 80W-90?

As soon as you hear "I buy soooo much", it is time to pull C's trick.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
        He get off the phone, ok I remember that douche nozzle, and he buy 1 thing a year and beg for $$ off so I would quote an $40 part at $60 and tell him I'll give you a break at $45.
        LOL Damm too bad I didn't know to do that.
        LOL, I do that! There are always odd people stopping by telling me how they know owner or his son (who doesn't work there). After all the name dropping and how wellllll they know him, they always inquire about some pricing or another. I always add about 20% to the price and when they start whining I start by giving them 10% off. Never had to go past 15%.

Comment

"Yeah, I know 'Owner's Kid'"... okay, call up 'Owner's Kid' and have him work things from his side. Right now, your tow bill is $Holy Carp. Will that be cash or card?

Trying to blindly name-drop... no, it's not really productive, and the odds of it backfiring are just a little too high. At least do some basic research on who you're trying to name-drop before fishing for discounts. Oh wait, I just remembered where I am.

Comment

I had almost as much fun at my old job. A 12-year old or so boy comes in to the store and starts demanding we give him all kinds of things. When I tell him no, he lets out the "You must be new here. My dad is the owner and you better do as I say." I just looked at him, leaned in a little closer and said "The owner has two girls in collage. Seeing as you are not female, old enough and in the wrong state, you would be wise to use the door before I show you out"

Comment

Old Job

When someone tried name-dropping my boss's name I would just pick up the phone and call him. About 50% they were okay, the other 50% were total failures.

But the real fun was when Peggy became the person the run the front counter of the repair center where I work. Why? Did I not forget to mention Peggy was my Boss's mother! Not only did name dropping not impress her, in a few cases where the person did know my boss, if she did not like the person actions/attitude there was no discount period.

Comment

If I ever start my own business (which I've considered from time to time), I'd love to get the "I know the owner", from someone who doesn't, at least once.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  If I ever start my own business (which I've considered from time to time), I'd love to get the "I know the owner", from someone who doesn't, at least once.
                  while your bullshitting, I'm waiting for someone who got one of my cards from someone for my FFL cold call about a gun and try that.

If your # is not in my contacts, you don't know me.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    In the 13 years that I have, I've, sadly, never gotten it. It would be so much fun if it did happen.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I used to work in a clinic in a military hospital. Actually had a retired general demand, "Don't you know who I am?" after he'd cut in front of people in line to sign in. I said, "No. Should I?" He complained to my boss, who told me the general was a real pain and to not schedule him with anyone except him (the boss). General Pain wasn't as much of a pain after that.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                        Actually had a retired general demand, "Don't you know who I am?"
                        *makes note on file* Patient appears to be suffering memory loss.
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                        X