This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because I'm Here...

So as you may know, I was a patient on the psychward for a couple days this past December. I made this post in a previous thread about a psychiatric nurse who was doing my intake interview:

I recently caught the same speech from a psychiatric nurse who was doing my intake interview when I had to sit a spell on the psych ward. (long story)

I told her how I had moved to Salem so I could get the fortune teller's lisence, so that I could do tarot readings for profit. Her instant reaction, accompanied by a sad and "what an idiot" inflection was, "Do you believe in God?"

Just gotta love people who can't go the day without respecting another person's belief system.
    It didn't stop with the tarot readings. I later told her that I walk everywhere. Now I'm used to this one. Because literally everyone has an opinion. Everyone thinks I should get my drivers lisence, even though a driver's lisence does NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL EVER HAVE A FUCKING CAR! I don't believe it's worth the effort and I frankly don't give a rat's ass if anyone else does.

I proudly told the nurse, "We didn't have a car in the house till I was about fifteen. So frankly, I'm the third generation of a family who can say 'I walked X amount of miles in the snow to get to school."

"Well," said the nurse, in the same judgmental "what a dumbass" tone of voice. "Maybe you should get a lisence and end that insanity."

And yeah, I know, I probably should have reported her at somepoint during my stay. But I never saw her again in the three days I was there.

Nate: I know exactly how you feel! I'm 20 and don't have a license. I walk an hour to the bus stop every day to bus to by job, work, bus back and walk again (Uphill, both ways! Okay, maybe just on the way back.)

But people are constantly shocked every time I tell them that I walk. I get all sorts of sympathy, such as "If I wasn't working I'd never make you walk that far", or comments like "You'd never get me to even walk 20 minutes to my job."

Is it really that horrible to take an hour and a half to two hours out of your day just to relax, listen to music and make your way to and from the bus stop? I've gotten so used to it that I hardly even notice it anymore, and I spend the time daydreaming. It's very relaxing. It's only annoying when it's really cold out. But really... It's not that far once you get used to it. Why should I drive it when it's cheaper to walk and take the bus? Especially considering this way I don't have to pay extra for gas, tickets and car repairs AND insurance. I really don't see a point to a car except for seeing friends, and that's just a bonus anyway. I'd rather save my money.
    Last edited by Chazzie; 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I plan on taking a few walks or jogs while I'm laid off sometime this month and next month.

I'll also be saving on gas with my new schedule this summer, and I hope that when my income recovers, I can get a bicycle.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Another walker/bus and train taker here. I have never had a car or a license, don't freakin' need one. I get to work and home just fine thanks. Now my boyfriend has a car and is always bitching about shit that needs fixing, and gas prices and on and on. I have none of those worries
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Shoot, one reason I want to move to New York is so I won't have to own a car and can walk everywhere.

I need the exercise. ^w^
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I spent years taking the bus and if I can help it, will never do ut again. I like taking walks for recreation, but I used to spend 4 hours a day at least travelling to jobs and had no time to do anything else. I can't live like that again. But if that works for someone else, I have no judgement. Why would I? That lady wasn't representing the Christ I know. Doesn't she know He walked everywhere??
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

When I lived in Bremen Germany - I did not have a car. I Walked, Biked, rode a bus, tram or train or if it was urgent got in a taxi.
              I loved it I had a drivers licence but never really drove untill I moved back to the states to the shitty erm city that robocop is from. Too bad public transportation sucks the big one in most cities in the states.
              I'm currently living in the great white north - biking here is easier but colder than the states and the sidewalks are nicely developed - I like it better here sofar.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                Shoot, one reason I want to move to New York is so I won't have to own a car and can walk everywhere.

I need the exercise. ^w^
                I would want to move to new york for stuff like the Dakota and central park but that's just me
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I did not have a driver's license from the time I was 20 to 25... I got it back when I was 25 because we were moving away from downtown and considering purchasing a house. I don't see the need for a driver's license if you have a different mode of transportation.

The only people I will tell, quite scornfully, to get a license/car are the ride moochers. If you need to go somewhere NOW all the time, and you don't like the bus, then you need to get a car... it is just the way it is.
                  "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
                  - James Joyce

Comment

Man, that nurse should see someone about getting her head yanked out of her ass.

Personally, I want a license, but that's so that if I need to drive I can, or if at some point in the future I need a car, I only have to worry about the funding, not about getting my license on top of that.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

That nurse was a judgmental bitch. So what if you don't drive and use Tarot.

I'm not Wicca, but I have a tarot deck and use it to do readings on myself all the time. I find it quite insightful.

And choosing not to drive is not somehow either a character flaw or a sign of mental weakness.

That woman has no business working with the mentally ill.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm 53, and I've never learned how to drive, and at this point I'm never going to learn. All of my jobs, I've either gotten rides from coworkers or people who worked nearby, or taken buses. Only a few people have said it was weird to not drive.

Comment

35 and no license here

I bike, or take the bus, walk or cab it if I have to. I don't drive because it's not safe, if I'm not exercising regularly(like say biking 12 miles a day for work, 6 there and 6 back), I'm very prone to migraines. As in 1-2x a week, and chances are at least half of those will seriously affect my vision and come on with zero warning. SO bike it at 10-15 mph and be able to stop if necessary, or 3000+ pound death machine at 45-60 mph, on major roadways and highways....hmmm tough one...I think I'll take not killing myself and others.

Quoth blas View Post
                          and I hope that when my income recovers, I can get a bicycle.
                          check craigslist, or the bike expo at the state fairgrounds, or depending on what you want(road or mountain), and how picky you are, I do have a few spares(I really don't require 6 bicycles) I would be willing to part with for a minimum price(as in under $100), I even have a spare helmet and water bottles(unused). For new bikes Fuji is pretty reasonable(commuter hybrid is around $400), and decent quality.
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I don't need anything too fancy, just figure it will be easier to get to the gym or run errands close by to home where I don't have to lug anything heavy.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I would have reported her. It was really rude how she treated you.

I didn't get my license until I was nearly 21. The bus was good enough (the people on the bus, a whole other story) and some of my friends who could drive would make fun of me for it. I liked it, and I actually was pretty fit because of all the walking I had to do. Now however....I drive and have put on a few pounds. T_T

Comment

Working...
                              X