Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Panacea, that is100% how I felt. To be clear, my L&D nurses were great and wonderfully supportive of my choices. It was the on-call doc that I saw before my midwife showed up and the nurses on the mother/baby floor who were the pushers. It hurt-more than anything ive yet experienced- to give birth, but for me it was manageable and after there was little to no pain. If I had needed/wanted them though, I hope they would have been as generous

Comment

Funny thing is when I had to get an MRI for that sinus infection, the x-ray tech (I think) asked me once if it's possible I could be pregnant. I said no and she said, "Sorry if that was awkward. We have to ask basically anyone older than ten that question." Funny how I got the third degree over pills, but not over radiation.

And trust me, I know why doctors, nurses, and any other person in a medical field asks these questions. I guess it's just annoying when you know you're telling the truth and are pretty much being cajoled into admitting that you're a liar. But I know it's routine stuff, so I won't bitch at the doctor for doing his or her job.

I think I was more angry than usual with that infection because I had a splitting headache and I was going through a bottle of OTC painkillers in less than a week, every week. By the time I went to the doctor (after three months of head-aching), I was about to stick a drill into my head and drain my sinuses myself. Needless to say, I was beyond cranky and was in a mindset of, "Gimme pills or someone's going home with a concussion." I didn't lose it at the doctor's office, but I was pissed off in my mind. I did not want to fight for relief, not to mention an infection that close to my brain was not comforting.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Which is why for the last nine-and-a-half years or so, my standard response is 'only if my IUD has failed'.

Never fails to get a laugh, and reassures the medicos. (And yes, I'm due the replacement.)
        I got pregnant 10 years after I had my tubes tied ...
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          O_O wow, something/one wanted that baby to happen... did it? (how did it turn out if I may be so nosy?) >_>
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Yeah - I know IUDs and sterilisations and other such things can fail. And if they were giving me something truly serious they'd probably have me pee in a cup just to make sure.

OTOH, anything but a very very early pregnancy in a IUD-filled uterus would be non-viable, I would imagine. I have these nasty mental images of baby-bits growing through and around the IUD.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ow ow ow ow ow. I was wincing all the way through that. Have gentle shoulder-hugs. *hugs*
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

don't tell me that... I'm so terrified of getting pregnant again. Two was really about two too many. Not that I don't love my children, but I am not a very good parent and am still not sure how the first two came about, given everything I was doing to prevent it.

Comment

@ HFB: About the first part concerning your bf, all I can say here is wow. The rest I will save for somewhere else more appropriate. About the second part they really don't give a shit if your pregnant, my friend cut her hand open at work so she went to the hospital to get stitches and they still wanted to check they baby. Their excuse was "as long as your here", after that it became an argument over which of the 2 hospitals near us was better.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
                    Friday I slipped and fell breaking my tail bone and pulling/injuring several other muscles. They would do nothing for me.
                    I had to wait to get out of the hospital and go to another doctor before I could get anything for the extreme pain in my legs and back.
                    Ow, you have my total sympathy. Broken tailbone and pregnant, ooh.

About half-way thru my pregnancy I began to ache badly around my tailbone. MY OB thought maybe arthritis til I remembered that just before getting pregnant I'd fallen off a snowmobile onto a very hard snow packed road - had hurt for a few days, then was ok.

By that point, he couldn't x-ray because of the baby, so had no idea if it was cracked, broken, bruised or what. By the time I was 7 months along, I couldn't walk across a large room or turn over in bed without crying. All those months, no drugs, no nothing. I firmly believe it was cause my body couldn't take more pain that I went into labour a month early.

I had planned on natural childbirth, and was ok til I had to push. Incredible pain, and I finally consented to a last minute shot of demerol, given so close to birth that it couldn't get into the baby's system. Turns out, my tailbone had been out of place, not cracked - and my new daughter pushed it back into place with an audible snap as she was born.

The next day I took one dose of painkillers, not for pain from childbirth, but for the pain in my tailbone (I wanted to avoid drugs because I was breastfeeding). After that, I was pretty much ok, though to this day I can't sit for really long periods, especially on hard seats, without aching and needing Tylenol.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    OTOH, anything but a very very early pregnancy in a IUD-filled uterus would be non-viable, I would imagine. I have these nasty mental images of baby-bits growing through and around the IUD.
                    I think they can come dislodged or something (or at least the old ones way back when could), cause I recall a story someone I knew told about a friend who got pregnant when she had an IUD in - the doctor kept saying he just couldn't figure out what happened to the IUD. He eventually found out, as when the baby was born it was sitting ever so delicately on the baby's head, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                      So of course the ONLY reason a 17-year-old virgin, menstruating female could be nauseous is because she's pregnant.
                      This happened to me when I was home from school in 2004. Basically for half the summer I had what looked like morning sickness, but both mom and I knew it wasn't (I was on the pill and not sexually active then). After about two weeks of this we go to the doctor, the first diagnosis was pregnancy. The nurse was so sure until mom forced her to give me the urine test; when it came back negative the next guess was Hep C (also without a test; for that a doctor did examine me and ruled it out).

It turned out to be some strange minor bacterial thing caused by 'food poisoning' from a bad burrito...go figure, the day I got back to NM it cleared up (maybe my system was rebelling against what passed for Mexican food in town?).
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                        O_O wow, something/one wanted that baby to happen... did it? (how did it turn out if I may be so nosy?) >_>
                        Quoth laborcat View Post
                        don't tell me that... I'm so terrified of getting pregnant again. Two was really about two too many. Not that I don't love my children, but I am not a very good parent and am still not sure how the first two came about, given everything I was doing to prevent it.
                        Trust me, it was a seriously odd occurence it will probably never happen to anybody again.

I had the old style tubal where they just sort of twist the tube yo and pop a rubber band around it. They now cut and cauterize them.

I had a tumor in the area in 1995, and rather obviously had it removed and a lovely course of chemo [great way to lose about 60 pounds, but I can't recommend it for fun] but I also picked up a proteus mirabilis infection that made the various tissues swell and the little band popped, the plug of scar tore and I had a functioning tube again, unbeknownst to me. I popped pregnant just after I stopped chemo. I found out because the Navy back then was in the habit of giving all women of the right age range bunny tests whenever they came into the base hospital. I was getting some bloodwork done post chemo, and the lab called me to give me the results. The poor lab tech was nonplussed, and probably slightly deafened when he said congrats it is positive, you are pregnant and I basically screamed "You have got to be shitting me, I had my tubes tied 10 years ago" into his ear. Back to Yale and my GYN Oncologist, and poof, gone and the tubal repaired. I made him put it in writing that he cut and lasered both tubes. [At that time the Navy wouldn't pop for a hysterectomy. I had to wait for an ovarian tumor this time.]
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                        X