This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be Kristen

This is a story I often tell to my students to explain to them the kind of nurse NOT to be. It is a true story of a new RN grad I worked with in California who was in part my inspiration to become a nurse educator . . . so I could teach people NOT to be her. It's a CoCW kind of story.

I worked in a medium sized Level 3 trauma center in Northern California about 10 years ago. We had about 25 beds, and were constantly busy. Our hospital was in a rural area about 1 1/2 hrs from the nearest large city (Sacramento). At that time, California was struggling with a major nursing shortage, and so many hospitals had adopted the practice of hiring new RN grads to work in specialty units (when I first became a nurse, you had to work a minimum of one year on a med surg unit before they'd even consider you).

Kristen was one such new grad.

One day, while Kristen was still in orientation, I walked into the med room to find her attempting to draw some 2% lidocaine solution into a syringe. She was cussing up a blue streak.

Me: What's wrong, Kristen?
    Kristen: I can't get the medicine out of the vial.
    Me: *trying to think of why that would be* Did you put air into it? (note to the reader: to get fluid out of a vial, you have to put an amount of air in equal to what you are taking out )
    Kristen: Everyone knows they teach you stuff in nursing school that you never use.
    Me: Oh. Ah. Well. Well, there's some truth to that. There's lots of stuff my instructors taught me and I don't always do it quite that way anymore. But I think you should work for awhile before you decide what to keep and what to throw away. Put some air in the vial . . . you'll get the medicine out.

Two years later, and she never got any better. The doctors hated her because she did everything by rote . . . no critical thinking or planning to prevent problems or complications. The nurses hated her because you couldn't tell her anything . . . she knew it all.

One day one of our frequent flyers came in with a fever. She was truly sick (for a change). The doctor suspected a urinal tract infection, and wanted a sterile specimen because the patient was on her period. Kristen was her nurse.

Kristen came to me to ask for assistance getting the urine specimen. The patient was morbidly obese (450 lbs if an ounce); she needed someone to hold the fat folds away from the perineum so Kristen could see what she was doing. It was a legit request, and I was not busy so I readily agreed.

I go into the room and chat with the patient while I wait for Kristen to get her equipment. She comes in with a fem cath kit. A fem cath kit is a short, plastic catheter, 8 french diameter, pre-attached to a test tube. We use them routinely for obtaining this kind of specimen . . . on normal sized people.

Me: What's that?
    Kristen: a fem cath
    Me: You're going to use that? On her?
    Kristen: *visibly annoyed* Yes.
    Me: hoookay . . .

So I pull the abdomen away from the perineum while Kristen tries to get the cath in. In short order she begins grunting and muttering under her breath. The perineum was so deep, she couldn't get the cath in to get the sample. The patient was clearly uncomfortable.

Me: OK, Kristen, stop. Let me try it.
    Kristen: *frustrated* OK

So I go and get a foley cath kit. A foley is a long, rubber catheter with 2 lumens: one drains the urine. The other ends at the tip in a balloon filled with saline to keep the catheter in the bladder. It is connected to a bag that hangs on the bed for long term drainage of urine.

Kristen: You're using that?
    Me: Yes. *I put the foley in in less than a minute and hung the bag on the bed* There you go. Now you can get your sample.
    Kristen: You're leaving it in?
    Me: Yes.
    Kristen: We don't have an order for that.
    Me: That's not a problem. I'll get the doc to write one.
    Kristen: But we only needed it for the urine sample.
    Me: Kristen, do you want to have to help this lady off this bed, and walk her down the hallway when she needs to go to the bathroom? Or put her on a bed pan? Dee? Do you want to have to walk to the bathroom, or use a bed pan?
    Dee (the patient): Oh, no, Panacea! I'd rather you left the catheter in, please!

And this, folks, is why I decided to become a nursing instructor. I wanted to train the kind of people *I* would want to work with!

I know some of you have had real horror stories with nurses when you've been in the health care system. I'm trying really hard to teach new nurses not to be like that with stories like this.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

I feel glad for Dee that you were there O.O

Comment

I too, am a big girl and know how hard it is to get in and out of a hospital bed and like Dee I would have totally appreciated you being there. I feel sorry for any of Kristens current co-workers and patients.

Comment

I wish you were in the same state as my niece. She's entering nursing school this fall. Fortunately, she has a good head on her shoulders and should do well.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Wow. Didn't they teach her how to think ahead at all? Or was she just resistant to the idea of doing that?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

To be fair, many critical thinking skills only come with experience. Without anyone telling me otherwise, I doubt I would have thought to use a male cath on a larger female patient. However, Kristen had one advantage she failed to utilize and I would kill for some days: more experienced coworkers.

'Course one needs to have the right attitude to ask for help if one is unsure what to do. Doesn't sound like she had that.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Wow. Didn't they teach her how to think ahead at all? Or was she just resistant to the idea of doing that?
              Far too many students enter nursing school just wanting their ticket punched so they can get a job.

Unfortunately for them, I have a duty to protect the public, and won't go along with that kind of program.

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              To be fair, many critical thinking skills only come with experience. Without anyone telling me otherwise, I doubt I would have thought to use a male cath on a larger female patient. However, Kristen had one advantage she failed to utilize and I would kill for some days: more experienced coworkers.

'Course one needs to have the right attitude to ask for help if one is unsure what to do. Doesn't sound like she had that.
              A foley catheter can be used on either males or females. A specific type of foley, called a coude, has a specially designed tip for getting around the prostate when it is enlarged, but that's not what I used.

Kristen's biggest problem is she would not ask questions or ask for help. No one could teach her anything, and that's the thing about her that annoyed me the most.

We had another new grad, Ron, that we hired about the same time. Ron took a long time to train, he had trouble with the critical thinking too. But he also had a heart of gold and would seek out help when he needed it, and he tried. He tried very hard, every day. Patients loved him. I can work with that.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Far too many students enter nursing school just wanting their ticket punched so they can get a job.

Unfortunately for them, I have a duty to protect the public, and won't go along with that kind of program.
                SNIP
                That's because people don't realize that this isn't your normal job.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Kristen's biggest problem is she would not ask questions or ask for help. No one could teach her anything, and that's the thing about her that annoyed me the most.

We had another new grad, Ron, that we hired about the same time. Ron took a long time to train, he had trouble with the critical thinking too. But he also had a heart of gold and would seek out help when he needed it, and he tried. He tried very hard, every day. Patients loved him. I can work with that.
                Kristen: would have this problem /be a bad worker in any job. Hell, might even be a bad person-- as in "doesn't operate how it should" bad. Humans survive because they learn. She doesn't. ...
                Ron: ... people like him are why we have society, both for the Rons' protection, and our own enrichment/survival. Yes, yes one can work with that. He's real, genuine, but a bit... dumb. There's a reason why dishonesty is disliked in Western society.
                /sociological
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  We can't all be Panacea. Or me. Or Jester, Raps, etc. Some of us are born to be Ron.

Ron would be the perfect nurse for a ward where the heart of gold is key, and the work is mostly routine.
                  Count out these exact tablets for each patient, give them to them between X and Y times. Do gentle, careful wound care. Provide a shoulder to cry on. Change sheets. Help the senior nurse with patient transfers.

There are places where a Ron type is the right nurse for the job.

By the sound of it, there aren't really any places where a Kristen type is.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

1) I agree with Seshat
                    2) let me elaborate on my previous statement. It has little to do with mentally disabled people. Kristen, is by all appearances, not mentally disabled, thus my "doesn't work as should" comment. Mentally disabled people are an entirely different matter, and should be cared for and thought of as people just as much as the Rons, the Panaceas... and yes even the Kristens. Those who are mentally disabled are just differently abled, and have skills and talents all their own.
                    Kristen, and people like her, have 0 excuse as to why they operate like that, and 0 (good) reason why the should. --> different rules apply for managerial idiocy. ... or do they???
                    /why yes I should be doing my final right now, but this was bothering me.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

But I think you should work for awhile before you decide what to keep and what to throw away.
                      Bloody heck, that's a basic rule for everything. Learn the rules before you break them. I'm truly glad you were there and I hope your patients are grateful because it's only a matter of time before dear Kristen wonders why her lisence was pulled. (Hopefully before she kills someone.)

Comment

i don't think i'd want a kristen type in a ward servicing the worst of the worst; get us a bunch of rons and panaceas, clone them and we're in business.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                        X