This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Dr. (Most likely spoilers)

So we now have several episodes of the new Dr. Who along with the new companion group.

SO what does everyone think?
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Love her. She's very much gone "back to basics"; the very first pitch for Doctor Who back in the day was for teaching history to kids with a complete ban on "bug eyed monsters". The Rosa Parks episode definitely proved that! She also reminds me of Tom Baker's Doctor; deeply compassionate and empathetic. He was always one of my favourites.

One thing that is bugging me, though, is how she uses the sonic screwdriver; that really big arm-wave is getting a bit annoying.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I think it's glorious. Might not be perfect, but I think she's doing a fantastic job so far - granted it's only 4 episodes in, and I haven't watched the 4th one yet because (a) spiders ewwww and (b) I'm saving it for after dinner tonight (I'm buying them on Amazon as I go).

I love that she made her own sonic screwdriver, that she's not afraid to get right in the bad guy's face, that she tries to protect her companions as much as possible but also gives them jobs to do and believes that they're capable of pulling it off, that she's right there with a quip or an off-the-wall remark but also knows what she's doing when it counts (mostly XD).

Love the companions, too, actually. I love that they've got an "old" guy in there! I don't know what Graham's age is supposed to be but I'm thinking he's in his 50s? So often, when people try to be inclusive, it's all about race or religion, and they forget that older folks want adventures too! If the Doctor showed up at my door I'd run off with her (or him) in a heartbeat!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        I love that she made her own sonic screwdriver
        Yes, this as well! John Pertwee was another of my favourites (and was actually my first Doctor) so the techie genius thing has always been a draw for me. We haven't really seen it much over the last few incarnations, so it's lovely to see that crop up again.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

My first Dr. was Tom Baker back when some US PBS stations started showing the show back in the early 1980's. Found it completely by accident and was fascinated from the word GO (caught Tom Baker's first episode as my first episode).

I think all of the actors have caught the quirky, weird, ADD, perceptive, knowledgeable, brilliant, etc. of the Dr.'s character especially just after regeneration during the maximum confusion phase.

The latest Jodi Whittaker does a wonderful job of carrying on the insanity.

In the new school series I do like that the companions are a lot more than window dressing screaming gotta be saved sideshow. Over the last 11 seasons I love the diversity (male female different races LGBTQ)that has been introduced.

Comment

I really love her.

Much better than Capaldi - he was not my deal. Also like the Companions.
            Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor too! I love him, and Tom Baker. They are my favorites.

I know almost nothing about the show from about Sylvester McCoy onward. The local stations weren't showing it, and then after I got my first computer I tried watching it online but the sites then were terrible - constant buffering, etc. I know I could go in and watch them now. I might do that once the current season finishes.

Favorite line so far: "I eat danger for breakfast."

Comment

=MoonCat;1372755
                and then after I got my first computer I tried watching it online but the sites then were terrible - constant buffering, etc. I know I could go in and watch them now. I might do that once the current season finishes.

Favorite line so far: "I eat danger for breakfast."
                For the old school Dr. Who episodes I have found that YouTube and Daily Motion have most of older school available episodes. Meaning there is a bunch of DR. #1 and #2 that were either lost or destroyed by the BBC. From Dr. #3 on all episodes are complete. what you need to do is get a complete episode title list and do a search Google search to see which site an episode is on.

This is how I found and d/l'ed most of the old school Dr. shows along with all but 2 MST3K shows.

Now some on-line episodes are going to be incomplete because they (usually ) involve the Daleks and for some reason, even though the episodes are broken up in to the old individual shows, the BBC only goes after the first individual show not the whole say 3 or 4 episode adventure.

Comment

Had a chance to catch one of Tom Baker's episodes while at my sister's apt on her birthday, and was surprised by how cheesy it looked! The costumes were cheap, some of the writing was truly cringe-worthy. I know I saw this sometime in years past but I didn't really remember much about that episode.

I'm so glad the more recent stuff has better special effects.

I really need to catch up on the "newer" Doctors (like I said, everyone starting from Sylvester McCoy).

I did end up watching Ep 4 of the new Doctor (had to look away during the close ups of the spiders -- ewww). Good show but veering a little too close to the BEMs that they supposedly wanted to keep away from. Wasn't crazy about the solution they came up with, either.

Still, all in all, very pleased with Jodie Whittaker.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Had a chance to catch one of Tom Baker's episodes while at my sister's apt on her birthday, and was surprised by how cheesy it looked! The costumes were cheap, some of the writing was truly cringe-worthy. I know I saw this sometime in years past but I didn't really remember much about that episode.

Yeah the production values on the old school Dr.'s left much to be desired but that was part of the appeal for me. Visible piano wire, zippers on the back of monster costumes, obvious costume breaks in say the Cybermen, and yea cringe worthy writing.

Dr. Who, at least the old school version, was mostly an either or -- either you liked it (fanatically) or you did not like it (with a passion no like) there seemed to me, back then anyway, no real middle ground

Comment

Racket_Man, my sister and I still laugh about the time someone in a Dr Who episode picked up a wrench and it wobbled - it was obviously made of rubber!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        I really need to catch up on the "newer" Doctors (like I said, everyone starting from Sylvester McCoy).
                        I've never quite forgiven Sylvester McCoy's Doctor for ruining my favourite Doctor Who joke.

What are Daleks famous for saying? "Bugger, stairs!"
                        Last edited by greek_jester; 11-07-2018, 07:40 AM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

I've just realized something that's been nagging at me in the back of my mind re: Dr. Who.

When I first started watching the Doctor, lo, these many years ago, a story was played out over a minimum of four episodes. One notorious storyline took 7 episodes, and our local station showed that one so often we would groan when we saw it (and watch it anyway!)

This new thing of having one complete story in roughly 50 minutes seems odd to me.

Comment

The old school Dr. Who series was a half hour (this is important) episodic serial and each episode had a title for the first year or two (kind of like the old 1940's and 1950's movie short serials like Buck Rogers or the old radio serials and soap operas) I assume to keep the audience coming back and for a longer story line. each story line was on average 3 to 4 episodes and yes there were exceptions like Peter Davidson's Black Orchid (2 episodes) and Tom Baker's Armegeadon Factor (7 episodes end to the Key TO Time season)

Not sure why the new series choose to go to the one story one hour format. I would guess that serials fell out of fashion and the attention span of the average viewer today would not be held long enough (BUT with feature length movies it still seems to work well enough) and there are "themes" for a season (the Silence, the Angels, Crack in Time, The beat drummed into the Master's head)

Comment

So, has everyone else watched the latest episode now? Talk about hitting you in the feels...

Comment

Working...
                              X