This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into the breach....

So, I've not been around here much - have been busy with looking for a job and getting involved with a new hobby (wargaming, mostly painting 28mm models!).

But starting at the end of October, I'm going to be working in a temp retail job (my first ever retail job.) I will ve working in a costume shop over the Halloween period. The initial contract is for 2 weeks, but if I get on well then I might be able to stay on until Christmas.

And yes, I will have to be in costume for the job. But the good news is, I get to keep it at the end of the contract period!

So this is going to be hard work, but I'm hoping it'll be a lot of fun. And hey, if it sucks horribly then it's only for 2 weeks.
    "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Cool, what kind of costume? Do you get to choose?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That sounds like fun! Photos of you in costume, perchance ... ?

Comment

Quoth Gumby30 View Post
        And hey, if it sucks horribly then it's only for 2 weeks.
        And you'll have CS stories to share. See? Silver linings!

Hope you have a good time and the contract plays out. And don't forget that it's pretty hard to go too overboard doing a costume gig.

Comment

Gumbles!

Rapscallion

Comment

Rapsy!

I do get to choose my own costume - sadly being a slightly larger girl with...erm....larger assets, some of the costumes will either be too small or get me arrested. I have also got to take into account that I'm going to have to wear it, and walk about and help people, all day. So it has to be comfy.

I've picked out a tavern wench costume. It's a long skirt with a low-cut corset-y top. Looks nice and comfy, plus I can wear flat boots with it, which is a must as I will likely be on my feet all day.

I've tried to add a link to the costume, not sure if it'll work. I'd rather not add the direct link to it on their website as it'll show where I'll be working.
            Attached Files
            "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

I do believe that's the first time I ever heard a woman describe a corset as 'comfortable'.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                I do believe that's the first time I ever heard a woman describe a corset as 'comfortable'.
                Depends on what they wear otherwise.

(But she did say "corset-y.")

Comment

My friends who enjoy corsets say that if its uncomfortable you are likely wearing it incorrectly. But then... they enjoy wearing them, so they make take comfort in the discomfort... LOL

28mm wargaming? Not Warhammer/40k is it? (those are 28mm heroic scale)

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                    If it's uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Yep, from what I understand, corsets (properly worn and if you're not tight-cinching) are VERY comfortable. They encourage (demand?) good posture which often decreases back pain due to habitually poor posture.

But yeah, this costume looks like it's just designed to resemble a corset. The dress is probably that typical stretchy polyester that costumes designed to fit a range of sizes usually come in. It looks awesome though, thumbs up!

Comment

Thanks for the well-wishes guys. I've got my induction in just over a week (which I get paid for whoop whoop) so by then I'll have a lot more information about the store and what I'll be doing.

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                        My friends who enjoy corsets say that if its uncomfortable you are likely wearing it incorrectly. But then... they enjoy wearing them, so they make take comfort in the discomfort... LOL

28mm wargaming? Not Warhammer/40k is it? (those are 28mm heroic scale)
                        Sorry, I just came back to check the thread and saw the question!

No, I've not got sucked into Warhammer yet and if I did I think I'm more drawn to the fantasy setting than the 40k. I've atually been painting and playing with Malifaux minis. It's a skirmish game that uses cards rather than dice and is a relatively cheap way to get started in wargaming. Worth checking out if you play tabletop stuff.

I was meant to go for my induction tour for my temp job at the costume shop in the morning of last Thursday. I got a call from the agency who were recruiting for the job on Wednesday afternoon telling me that the induction had been rescehduled and that I would get a call on Thursday to let me know what's going on.

I didn't hear anything by Thursday afternoon so I called them up. Couldn't get hold of my consultant, but the receptionist very helpfully informed me that she was at the afternoon induction session for the costume shop. When I asked if she had any information with regards to the rearranged morning induction schedule, she replied that she had not heard anything about the morning session being rescheduled and that as far as she knew it had gone ahead as arranged. Hmmmm.

I finally got hold of my consultant later on Thursday afternoon and she assured me not to worry, there were always last-minute changes with this customer and she'd be in touch the next day (Friday.) I heard nothing from her Friday and when I tried to call for a second time at about 3:45, I was told she'd gone home for the day. I tried again Monday and was told she was off sick.

I called again Tuesday morning and was fobbed off by being told she was away from her desk and then in a meeting so I sent an e-mail. She responded at about 1pm saying she'd call me back "in a moment." I got off the phone with her at about 4pm after calling them again and had the following exchange which left me furious:

Her: "Did you get my e-mail?"
                        Me: "The last e-mail I had was earlier today saying that you'd call me later this afternoon" (It actually says verbatim "in a moment" but I was trying to be nice)
                        Her:" Yes well it's not later this afternoon is it? I was very sick yesterday, I'm still very sick today and it's too time-consuming worrying about you. I will speak to you later."
                        Me: ".......OK?"

What I actually wanted to say was "So you're essentially telling me I am not a priority and that it's fine to leave me hanging with no idea if I start a job next week or if I need to look for another job? I'm sorry you're sick but if you'd not given me the fucking runaround last week I wouldn't be taking up your valuable time."

I was so so angry with them, even more so when I got a rather unaplogetic e-mail the next day saying that due to internal changes, the costume shop didn't want as many people so some people had got the chop. Too bad for you, don't hold your breath about hearing from us ever again.

So, back to the job search I guess
                        Last edited by EricKei; 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM. Reason: triple post merge comboooooooooo ;

Comment

That really sucks and is *incredibly* unprofessional for the agency to treat you like that, I'd recommend complaining to the higher ups if that's possible, consultants shouldn't be burning bridges like that as it's bad for them and their clients!

I hope you have better luck soon; the job market being the way it is it's really tough to get a decent job, which is why I'm moving to South America until things get a bit better!

Comment

Quoth Gumby30
                            No, I've not got sucked into Warhammer yet and if I did I think I'm more drawn to the fantasy setting than the 40k. I've atually been painting and playing with Malifaux minis. It's a skirmish game that uses cards rather than dice and is a relatively cheap way to get started in wargaming. Worth checking out if you play tabletop stuff.
                            Again an offshoot, but I still play the Warhammer Mordheim setting because you only need about twenty models - quite a bit cheaper than the hundred+ for a normal army and there's way more customisation in it.

Comment

There's also Mantic's Kings of War, which is a pretty cheap fantasy wargame, and the rules are free from their website!

Comment

Working...
                              X