This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pets Memoriam

Our Dog, Batty recently passed away, as in, Sunday. I thought it'd be a good idea to make this thread in memoriam and remembrance for those who have passed away, recently or months ago.

This is her, the beautiful dog. She'll always be remembered.

If someone could tell me how to add a picture and make it smaller without adjusting the size of it manually in a picture editor, that'd be great, thanks.
    Last edited by Ree; 06-24-2014, 10:48 AM.

This is my baby girl
    Her name was Gizmo. She passed away in may 2011. Had her for 11 years...too short. She didn't like me at first but in her last 5 years she came to me constantly.
    I really miss her. My cat Guinness is so much like her in attitude and behaviour that I sometimes hope its a sign from my kitty, as stupid as that sounds.

http://imgur.com/nmkfazE

And another pet I hold dear, even without a picture now, is my old Siberian Husky Sassy. My mom's roommate took her to the pound or let her loose when I was 5 because when his dog attacked me, she protected me and got aggressive with it. We couldn't find her, and it took me years to get over it. I really loved that dog. She was my first best friend.

Comment

Sorry to hear about Batty.

Here are my two. They were throw aways that we rescued. Didn't want dogs at the time. I don't regret it.

How to crop pictures.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Sir Dusty Plains of Iowa, or Dusty for short.

He was given to me and my ex-wife by a neighbor at the trailer park we lived in at the time. There was nothing like coming out in the morning and seeing him lazily laying on the couch and thumping his tail when he saw me. He died from complications of canine diabetes about a year and a half after my marriage fell apart. There's not a day goes by that I don't think of that little stinker.

Comment

I'm so sorry for everyone's losses. I've lost too many dogs and cats to post pictures of, but I know that the loss is felt each and every day. Don't worry, they will all be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

Comment

Tigerlily, or Lily for short. Belonged to my parents, but I consider their pets mine as well, since I was living with them at the time they got them and still see them often. She was a stray, we think an abandoned cat, who showed up at my parents' place in the country one day. At first, she was only somewhat friendly and very shy, but as time went on, she got more comfortable and would even let us snuggle. Near the end, she had gotten used to living indoors and taking it easy. She went suddenly due to kidney failure a couple months ago. Fortunately, she didn't seem to suffer. She was a sweet kitty once she got comfortable with us and wanted pets or tummy rubs, and had a cute chirping meow. We still have one cat who is younger and was adopted by us when he was only a couple years old, but we miss her.

Comment

The Cats

First, there is Velcro, my mongrel siamese. She was a foundling, I think someone dumped her near where I found her, she wasn't even quite weaned yet. I had her for 18 years, and she passed quietly in my arms, apparently with minimal pain or suffering. Very, very sweet lady. She loved to ride up on the dash when I was driving truck, all stretched out watching the world roll by.

Next is Alexandra the Grey, or Miss Alex as I commonly called her. Tiny, tiny cat. The most she EVER weighed was 4 pounds. Got her when Velcro was a couple of years old, from a family giving away kittens outside a grocery store outside Houston when we went down there to help my parents move from there to Colorado. Velcro adopted her fairly quickly, and it was funny as heck to see the look on Alex's face when Velcro would pin her down and wash her ears. Alex's ears would go straight out to the sides and she'd have the goofiest grin. Miss Alex also lived to be 18, I had to have her put to sleep though when she stopped being able to keep down any kind of food, and had blood in it when she threw up after trying to eat. Again, she passed in my arms, but that was one of the harder things I've ever had to do. She was my sweet little cuddle cat, her favorite place was in my arms or on my lap or laying on me while I slept. I still feel her curled up snuggled into my armpit every once in a while.

Katrinka was one I only had for a couple of months. According to the vet when I adopted her, she was just about recovered from basically kennel cough. Only it wasn't, and she wasn't. She was a sweet, cuddly girl in the short time I knew her.

Then there is Munchkin. I adopted her from a family giving away kittens in Nebraska when I lived there, after losing Velcro, then Katrinka in fairly short order. Miss Alex and I were both lonely for another cat which is why I adopted her. She and Alex weren't as close as Alex and Velcro had been, but they got along ok. Munchkin invented fetch. She'd bring me a toy, and I would throw it for her to chase down and bring to me again. I lost her a couple of years ago to (probably) coyotes after I moved to Nevada. It never occurred to me that she'd be curious enough to venture outside (have dogs, and a dog door), she was a shy timid lady unless she knew someone well and never showed even the slightest interest in 'outside'.

Then there were the Kittles, Amber and Ginger. They were litter mates, sisters, and very outgoing, adventurous girls. They INSISTED on being allowed outside, and after they healed from being spayed I started taking them out. When I'd go outside for a cigarette they'd be out just a minute or so later, wanting attention and petting. They were fearsome hunters and decimated the lizard and small rodent population around the house. They were also snugglers. *giggle* Ginger decided, for whatever reason, that my boyfriend was the perfect snuggle partner, so she'd frequently climb up on him and settle in. He wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first, he's not much of a cat person. Amber would curl up on me anytime I was sitting on the couch, and inevitably have me asleep within minutes. Something about her purr.... Pretty sure it was coyotes again though I still harbor hopes that as friendly as they both were that they went up to someone and said 'hi' and were taken in. But they both had collars with my contact info. So, no more inside/outside cats is the lesson I learned there, the dog door is locked all the time now.

Kitteh joined my life not long after Amber vanished. Boyfriend insisted that I get another cat right away, because I don't function well without one. So I went to our local shelter and he convinced me that he was, indeed, the one going home with me that day. I'd have loved to take ALL their cats home, but couldn't. Kitteh is my pygmy maine coon. Very laid back, very relaxed fellow. Tiny little squeak of a meow, incredibly cute.

And six months or so after we adopted him a friend of ours brought us a little feral foundling who became the Little Bittle Kittle. Kitteh is the one on the left, and Bittle is on the right in this pic, taken almost a year ago. Here's another one of both of them, taken only a few days after we got Bittle. As I recall it, Kitteh hissed ONCE at Bittle when she first came into the house, then she looked at him and very plainly asked him to take care of her, and Kitteh adopted her. They're nearly inseperable. Kitteh has taught Bittle alot about being a spoiled house kitty. Bittle has anxiety issues (what I know of what she went through before we got her, I don't blame her), and panics very easily, but she's learned that petting is NICE, and that the humans will pet a Bittle if she goes to one of them. She SO clearly wants to be a sluttly little cuddle cat, but the anxiety issues keep her from just going with it and turning into a purring puddle of kitty fur.

The Dogs

I don't have pictures of the dogs, at least not in digital format on this computer, so no images.

Bear was the biggest. He was a lab mix, with I think a bit of chow in him too. He was rescued by my boyfriend some years before we got together. I met him (Bear, I mean) when I moved out here. I'm scared of large dogs that I don't know, and this frequently causes a new dog that I'm meeting to behave aggressively. Bear didn't. He barked of course, a bit, but settled down and took a couple of treats from me, and I had a friend. He was a big, cuddly teddy bear who would turn into fury incarnate if a stranger tried to enter HIS home without the approval of one of his pack leaders.

Jackie was the smallest. Little Jack Russell terrier who was probably the LEAST hyper terrier I've ever seen. Allergic to damn near everything, was on steroids for them. She'd lick your face raw if you let her. Boyfriend also joked that she tried hard to lick a person's eyeballs from the inside (really long tongue that she routinely stuck up his nose. Ick)

Sugar we still have. She's the middle dog, a cocker spaniel/beagle mix. About as bright as your average brick. Hyperactive, too. She has this built in sad, soulful look that just makes you melt. Kitteh often goes up to her and flops down onto his back in front of her. She then snuffles him thoroughly while he rubs his face all over her face and neck. Very cute to watch.
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've lost so many over the years, but the one that's currently hurting is my Little Bit. She turned up on my doorstep as a tiny kitten; we called her Little Bit because she would fit curled up on the palm of my hand. She wasn't nearly that small 16years later, this May 5th, when she left me for the SummerLand.

Dammit, I'm again. BRB.

Comment

I lost my furbaby Sadie on May 5th of this year. She was 15 and deteriorated the last couple of months before I finally had to put her down. It was the hardest decision I have ever made in my life. I've had many animals in my lifetime growing up, but this cat claimed me as "hers" and that bond can't ever be replaced. I hope one day I can have another kitteh claim me so the hole in my heart can heal a little bit.

I'm sorry for all of your losses.

Comment

I don't have any pics here....they're all on my PC which is borked, if I have any pics left, but Aragorn was a chocolate-covered guinea pig I had in high school. He was followed by Boromir, a tan colored one (both were short-haired cavies). Boromir was a bit slow in the head and always had a vacant stare, though I loved them both.

Aragorn was interesting, though. He would literally crawl up your body and lick your face, just like a puppy! He was one of the most social guinea pigs I ever knew.

He got sick with an infection, though. I had him on antibiotics, and he seemed to get better for a while, but then one morning he suddenly worsened. I rushed him to the veterinary hospital, but by the time I made it there, he was gone.

What hurt was that this was right before work and my boss wouldn't give me the shift off. It was summer and I couldn't just stow his body in my hot car all day, and I couldn't get away with putting him in the breakroom freezer, so I had to give him a dumpster burial in the motel parking lot. I should have just said "F**k work" and gone home and given him a proper burial. I still regret not doing that. He was one of the best pets I ever had, and in the end I just threw him away, and even though it's been almost ten years I haven't forgiven myself for it and still get torn up about it.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                    X