This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ethical question

Ok, so here the deal. I paid for an expensive console for my family, myself included, to use. I presented it at Christmas saying it was for all of us.
    Now I've moved out, and my bro has gotten a roommate that has the same console. So he doesn't need an extra one <---- his words.
    Well, why doesn't he give it to me? He says no because it was my gift so it isn't mine. I said it was a gift to all of us (I see no problem in giving gifts to oneself as long as you give to others too.) he said it was wrong to give partial ownership of your gifts to yourself. I say it's more mine than his because I actually paid for it. Who's right? :/ the rest of my family doesn't want it.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Discuss the situation with your parents and any other siblings or relevent family. If it was a gift to them, then they can perfectly validly gift it on to you. Your brother can be outvoted.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Brother's being a greedy dick. Family isn't going to want to be caught in the middle.

You have two choices: cave, or stand your ground. Both have consequences. The former will send the message you can be walked all over.

The latter will paint you as the bad guy.

If it were me, I'd cave . . . and tell Brother he will never get another Christmas gift from you, ever. And stick to your word when he accepts, because he won't think you're serious.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

i would do the whole take it to the family thing too, but if they are like some of my family then this
        Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        If it were me, I'd cave . . . and tell Brother he will never get another Christmas gift from you, ever. And stick to your word when he accepts, because he won't think you're serious.
        is a good move.

Comment

I say take it. It's yours and you paid for it.
          "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Quoth Monica View Post
            I say take it. It's yours and you paid for it.
            Eeeh... I don't know. If brother decides to continue being a dickhead, this opens up a WHOLE lot of potential unpleasantness. Such as reclaiming gifts that brother gave to HM in years gone past, with 'I paid for it. It's mine.'

I'm rather inclined to think that 'you can have it, but you'll never get another gift from me, ever' is probably the way I'd go.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              Eeeh... I don't know. If brother decides to continue being a dickhead, this opens up a WHOLE lot of potential unpleasantness. Such as reclaiming gifts that brother gave to HM in years gone past, with 'I paid for it. It's mine.'

I'm rather inclined to think that 'you can have it, but you'll never get another gift from me, ever' is probably the way I'd go.
              True. I do see that happening as well. I guess it's which situation you can deal with the best, is the one to go with.
              "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post

The law doesn't quite work that way. If you gift something to a specific person, it's theirs. You can't take it back. Now, if you gift it to multiple people including yourself and you can get majority ownership, that's drastically different.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Thanks for the replies. He's agreed to share the console with me, very reluctantly I might add. Apparently the real reason was because he thought I'd become a homebody, playing all day. He sure does worry about the strangest things. Especially since staying home and playing all day is what he does! :/ >.>
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

A case of unexpected introspection, then? Maybe he doesn't want you to end up like him
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                    X